IGNORED

Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Mr Do 71

21 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

How are you guys getting framed photos of your villager?

There’s levels of friendship. I can’t remember the exact levels, but you talk to them for a bit, then you can give them gifts. I don’t know what order the other things unlock in, but they include them giving you a nickname, them asking you for specific fish and bugs, and them asking you to teach them a phrase they use at the end of sentences, and a secret phrase they will use to greet you. You can give them presents every day, which will increase your friendship with them. More expensive things increase it more. Wrapped things get a bonus. 

Once you’re at a certain level of friendship there’s a chance each time you give them a gift that they will give you their photo in return. 

A question I’ve been meaning to ask, a few times when I’ve been on turnip.exchange, I’ve seen the island info say to please leave via the airport.

Can pressing - and selecting to leave from there cause problems for the host or something? Just something I’d like to know before I leave any islands that way again in the future.

5 minutes ago, Stejay said:

A question I’ve been meaning to ask, a few times when I’ve been on turnip.exchange, I’ve seen the island info say to please leave via the airport.

Can pressing - and selecting to leave from there cause problems for the host or something? Just something I’d like to know before I leave any islands that way again in the future.

It resets villager positions I think? So if people are coming to visit a certain villager who is drafting leaving that way can cause problems.

17 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I go into the aquarium and there he is alone in one of the big tanks. I get up close and he start snapping and head butting the glass. I move a bit to the left and the right and he follows. If I move away from the glass he loses interest but if he passes when I'm near the glass he stops and starts butting the glass again.

That's odd. Mine was thrown into a tank with all the other fish where it behaves quite normally...

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

1 hour ago, Broker said:

It resets villager positions I think? So if people are coming to visit a certain villager who is drafting leaving that way can cause problems.

I think it’s that it can reset the island. If someone has a window open when leaving via the airport they’re blocked. When using the minus button you get a countdown and it forces through. This can cause the equivalent of ‘someone left quietly’ which doesn’t save the game and resets things. So that recipe you got might be gone. Or those turnips you sold might be back.

18 minutes ago, Mike S said:

That's odd. Mine was thrown into a tank with all the other fish where it behaves quite normally...

Most likely @Unofficial Who just doesn’t have any of the other fish that go in the same tank. He’s in the Southern Hemisphere so will have a different selection.

I guess the online side of this is winding down now. Had gates open for 5 hrs today and only 3 visitors. I've got dozens of friends, most from here, and only 3 or 4 have opened. 

Perhaps we should have an English country village-style Open Gardens day? It doesn't need a competition to get 25 people opening their gates does it? 

2 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I guess the online side of this is winding down now. Had gates open for 5 hrs today and only 3 visitors. I've got dozens of friends, most from here, and only 3 or 4 have opened. 

Perhaps we should have an English country village-style Open Gardens day? It doesn't need a competition to get 25 people opening their gates does it? 

I got a bit absorbed trading shit all night every night on Reddit, and remodelling my entire town (which makes me hesitant to open my gates up), so I've not been roaming around people here's villages as much. I think also I've seen a lot of people's towns regularly, visiting to shop and water, so I'm less likely to be curious about showing up and wandering around. I've had a few new visitors when people who are a bit behind us have been looking to trade stuff, and I still get the odd random visitor when I'm opening for my kids or whatever. I'm playing with three family members also, which changes the frequency with which I'm about playing on my own and looking to visit towns.

I think it's natural that things will ebb and flow, and I think the rllmuk community will probably live or die on whether there's a few dedicated people who keep opening up and visiting so there's a core group. But we must all be getting close to saturating ourself with items which we can actually trade with each other, because we've all got so much shit and money from helping each other. I keep offering to let people catalogue things and they tell me that they already have them, sometimes because I let them catalogue them before :lol:

Because of the pace of the game, we're all getting to the point where it forces you to slow down, because the only thing's we'll really be missing are things that are gated off by time, or RNG. From trading on Reddit, it's pretty clear which items the wider trading community values most highly, and the pattern it pretty obvious. Seasonal items, like the fishing contest prizes, cherry blossom items, acorns, frozen items and stuff are very sought after. The wedding stuff was until recently, and the heart crystals are very valuable right now. The other stuff that's valuable is anything you can't catalogue, with items you can get through attrition or time travelling (DAL items, Mom items, Sahara items), being worth less than the things which have a lot of RNG (Celeste, Gulliver) and the king being Redd Art with it's ridiculous three layers of RNG and massive limitations on purchase frequency and quantity. At the moment, trading those items online mostly involves either having more of those items, or mountains of NMT. I've been grinding NMT, and buying and trading a lot of art, Gulliver items and Mom stuff, most of which I think I'm buying off time travelling farmers. But I guess I'm not time travelling.

Anyway, continuing to chase after quick aquisition of cool and rare items has lead me away from here, where most people seem to be relaxing into the more sedate pace of grabbing a bit of art, growing their flowers and slowly remodelling.  

I'll be playing for a long time to come yet. I'm happy to open my gates, but there isn't much to see.....and the main reason I don't open them all the time, is because I use it in handheld mode when I have the gates open so that I can just leave it sat there. But then the battery life isn't amazing. Also, when I mention the gates are open because x,y or z is on sale, nobody turns up because you all have those items already :) 

I've avoided trying to catalogue many items though, because I want a reason to keep switching on every day and seeing what the shops sell, and what other gifts I might receive. It's why I haven't done much with my island yet, because I don't have anywhere near complete sets to make the little areas that I want to. So yeah.....I'll be an every day player for quite some time yet :) 

Red has finally appeared for the second time. It's been weeks. I got so excited though I just bought a piece of art without checking a guide to see if it's genuine just because (like the Mona Lisa which is the only piece I have in the museum) I actually recognise it. That said, after purchasing I gave it a closer look and there might be something....off about it. :facepalm:

My island is now getting a bit of a makeover as I destroy one of the cliffs in the north so I can turn it into some sort of sunset strip of game machines and theme park attractions. I wish destroying a cliff was easier though, doing it one square at a time is tedious work, unless I'm missing something and you can do it in big chunks.

I haven’t been open too much as I’ve been totally remodelling also.

there isn’t really anything to see as it’s mostly empty and flat. But I don’t intended stopping playing it for a long time.

I've got Redd in town.  Two fakes and two real as far as I can tell, and I've bought one of the real ones already.

Spoilered the things he has, in case anyone would prefer to work it out themselves.

Spoiler

Jolly painting is the unsold real one, I think.  I bought the girl with the pearl earring, and there's a fake Mystic statue and a fake Scary painting.

Will be afk while working, but my gate is open open to friends.

15 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

I've got Redd in town.  Two fakes and two real as far as I can tell, and I've bought one of the real ones already.

Spoilered the things he has, in case anyone would prefer to work it out themselves.

Hide contents

Jolly painting is the unsold real one, I think.  I bought the girl with the pearl earring, and there's a fake Mystic statue and a fake Scary painting.

Thanks, I grabbed the statue and watered the flowers that looked like they were in set up beds

Also Kitt is crafting Terrarium if anyone wants that

I haven't really dabbled with art yet, mainly as Redd has only visited me once, and the pain about most pieces being fake put me off. Also combined with work being so insane at the moment I've had very little time to play. I think maybe the huge flower push kind of burned me out a little.

However, played quite a bit over the weekend with my son and nieces (who I surprised with a Switch and the game as they've had a horrible lockdown) and all that joy swept back. I even bought a load of turnips.

So yeah... probably put another 550 hours in now.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Hide contents

Thanks for opening, I grabbed the last available painting. Much appreciated as I «need» as much art as possible to fulfill my idea of building an art themed library.

Kitt was handing out a recipe I didn’t have as well, so that was a great trip!

46 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Yes, We went to look at midday after you posted. You didn't imagine it.

It's gotta be Serena trying to get out. :ph34r:

image.png.285dab62fe1ce4a621e47818057a515e.png

Buying art isn't stressful if you consult the internet. Is that cheating? No effing way is Redd getting away without giving me a genuine piece of art (if he has one).

Open with code: BSCYR

Savannah is here. If she sells the same stuff to everybody then she’s got the lava flooring and cityscape wallpaper. 

Some awesome summer clothes in Able’s if you’re quick. 

Deidre is crafting a tree branch wreath. 

Many plots of flowers to water if you’re willing, mostly in Oldtown by my residents’ houses. Spare cans in my back garden.