rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Just going to set up a nice tent in this thread and live here until the games released. Can honestly say this is my most anticipated release of all time, I'm not even joking. 

I can't wait to get back to catching fish for the first time, expanding my house, working towards getting new shops, planting hedges, running errands for villagers! This is going to be a long few months.... 

• Upvote 7

I'm really looking forward to this! 2019 is shaping up to become a strong year for Switch. 

First time I'm really, really sad I don't have a switch. (And all I've played is the pocket camp version, so as a marketing strategy it worked perfectly!)

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

First time I'm really, really sad I don't have a switch. (And all I've played is the pocket camp version, so as a marketing strategy it worked perfectly!)

You still got over a year til it's out. Unless it's early 2019. In which case hurry up and get one. I haven't got one either btw, but Santa's bringing one this Christmas.

This'll be the perfect excuse to finally get another Switch for my daughter to play as her first console. Yes, definitely for my daughter.

• Upvote 1

I've never played Animal Crossing, but am excited for this essentially off the back of how everyone here seems to love it :)

• Upvote 2

I never understood the appeal of these games but I also didn't spend a lot of time with them, so this will be a good opportunity to try again. 

I loved Animal Crossing on the Gamecube but it's been diminishing returns ever since then and they've not got their Tom Nooks into me in the same way. Maybe this is the version to do it. 

I loved Animal Crossing on the Wii because I was living with my mum at the time and she was just as obsessed as I was, so it was really nice to be surprised by stuff another person had done every time I went in. The museum suddenly had more on display, there would be presents outside our houses, we'd very seriously make arrangements to water red turnips if the other person was away and we'd bitch about Maelle over dinner.

The 3DS version was an amazing game but always felt so lonely to me. It was fun visiting other people's towns, and easy to do, but living in my own town always felt a bit sad. None of my efforts really mattered when it was just for me.

Anyway, my super hope for the new one is cloud/online towns, even though it obviously won't have cloud/online towns because it's a portable and it doesn't make any sense to do that. But I don't feel too exited about another lonely Animal Crossing even though I love Animal Crossing. I mean, make no mistake, I'm buying a Switch for this regardless. But I can dream.

• Upvote 4

I adored this on the Wii, one of my most played games of all time with an obsessive amount of hours put into it trying to fill out the museum, complete sets of furniture, have an impressive array of jiggly geode things and the most marvellous assortment of rare hybrid flowers on my doorstep.

I loved every second of doing this but the game is a harsh mistress, your flowers die if not tended to constantly and that perfect town status needs constant weed vigilance

I loved it all so much but just not sure I can commit to the same thing again, and my OCD ways mean that if I got it I would be committed ! I need to see what the 'hook' is this time, as for my own sanity I probably need to avoid if its 'just' more of the same.

If it is more of the same anybody who hasn't played before should get it without hesitation, its marvellous, just in many ways the harshest most demanding game you'll ever play.

Thankfully New Leaf introduced Ordinances, so you could enact a keep the town beautiful ordinance, for example.

Which means...

Cockroaches never appear in your house even if you don't play for a while.

Weeds are rare.

Flowers don't wilt.

Villagers water and plant flowers more often.

Time traveling does not cause weeds or other environment problems.

The GameCube version of this was amazing but the thread on here (or was it Edge) made it even better, I’ve played every version but nothing captured the same magic as the GC game + forum combo!

Nailed on purchase on Switch obv

• Upvote 1

On 14/09/2018 at 10:19, CovisGod said:

Just going to set up a nice tent in this thread and live here until the games released. Can honestly say this is my most anticipated release of all time, I'm not even joking. 

I can't wait to get back to catching fish for the first time, expanding my house, working towards getting new shops, planting hedges, running errands for villagers! This is going to be a long few months.... 

Isn't that a lot like your day job anyway?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bojangle said:

The special edition Switch they'll obviously do for this better look as good as the 3DS ones they did.

3ds_xl_animal_crossing_box.jpg

Nearly as nice as the 2DS XL

Screen_Shot_2018_07_03_at_10.36.10_AM_1.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Bojangle said:

The special edition Switch they'll obviously do for this better look as good as the 3DS ones they did.

3ds_xl_animal_crossing_box.jpg

It'll be special joycons not a complete machine I reckon. 

On 15/09/2018 at 07:51, Fletch said:

I loved Animal Crossing on the Gamecube but it's been diminishing returns ever since then and they've not got their Tom Nooks into me in the same way. Maybe this is the version to do it. 

Ditto, that game was amazing. I think it’s also due to Nintendo not doing much with the formula, and playing it safe as they usually do. There’s so many things you could do with a game like Animal Crossing but each iteration felt more like Animal Crossing 1.5 rather than a fully fledged sequel and for those of us who milked the original it just feels a bit been there done that.

Heres hoping for a real Animal Crossing sequel, if there is any game that would tempt me to buy a switch it would be a proper Animal Crossing sequel.

My daughter is utterly hyped for this. She did say though that if Wart Jnr is in it, she'll cry as a apparently, he is a right nasty piece of work. She plays it on her 3DS every single day and even sets alarms for certain events and things and puts them on her calendar. It is a lovely game and I played New Leaf for about 3 years. 

• Upvote 2

I love Animal Crossing, I really do, but unless they enhance the game at with least a few new gameplay hook in both single and multi-player, I know I'll play it intensely for 2 weeks and then go back to other things. Just being honest.

GETTTT READYYYY TO SPENDDD SOME BELLLSSSS ON  YOUR MORTTTGGAAAGGGEEE BBBIIIAAATTCCCHEEESSSS!