rllmuk
Nick R

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (the teenage witch) - Netflix

Over the last few years, Archie's comics that turned Sabrina the Teenage Witch into a genuine horror comic have been very well-received.

The TV series adaptation was originally going to be treated as a spin-off of the other current Archie TV series (The CW's Riverdale), but now it's being done by Netflix instead.

It's got Michelle Gomez, Lucy Davis, Miranda Otto and Richard Coyle in the cast!

There's a black cat in the trailer - but no sign of it talking...

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Nick R said:

Over the last few years, Archie's comics that turned Sabrina the Teenage Witch into a genuine horror comic have been very well-received.

The TV series adaptation was originally going to be treated as a spin-off of the other current Archie TV series (The CW's Riverdale), but now it's being done by Netflix instead.

It's got Michelle Gomez, Lucy Davis, Miranda Otto and Richard Coyle in the cast!

There's a black cat in the trailer - but no sign of it talking...

Richard “I've got the key to the gates of paradise, but I've got too many legs!” Coyle? Haven’t seen him in years.

Nothing could ever live up to the magnificence of the original TV version; Salem was the best cat. My favourite Sabrina memory was when I was watching it on CiTV and she made a music video with Salem but the music kept skipping and sounding weird; then I saw the same episode on Nickelodeon and realised that they'd censored it for the UK airwaves as the lyrics were originally 'shake your whammy fanny.'

Imagine this but with every instance of the word 'fanny' completely skipped over. Either that or play the fanny drinking game.

• Upvote 3

Seems so, only far more so.

There are only vinyl record players and transistor radios. No CDs, or even cassettes. All the cars look like they're from the 60s. There are no TVs that I've seen. No-one has a mobile phone and the landlines are all rotary dial phones.

But there is a laptop in one scene. If it wasn't so obvious, I'd think someone left it on set by mistake. 

10 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Seems so, only far more so.

There are only vinyl record players and transistor radios. No CDs, or even cassettes. All the cars look like they're from the 60s. There are no TVs that I've seen. No-one has a mobile phone and the landlines are all rotary dial phones.

But there is a laptop in one scene. If it wasn't so obvious, I'd think someone left it on set by mistake. 

I did a quick google and found this:

Originally conceived as a companion series to Riverdale that would run on The CW, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina still shares the same showrunner, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. The shows share a similarly timeless quality, production designer Lisa Soper confirmed. “When you watch the show you’ll see cellphones, you’ll see laptops, you’ll see Victorian dresses. Some of these witches and creatures are hundreds of years old, so we’re trying to show that layering of history, and also trying to give everybody in the audience a chance to grab onto something that they like and that they're nostalgic for. We're not locked into a time.”

From https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a24176447/chilling-adventures-of-sabrina-spoilers-preview/

Two episodes in and loving it. 

Only downside is that horrible blur around the edges that happens during the Witchy scenes. As someone with glasses it keeps making me think my eyesight has gotten worse. 

Yeah, that blurry effect is super annoying. 

I’m also two episodes in - loved the first one but thought the second one was pretty weak. On the one hand Sabrina is defending her friend who’s being bullied for her sexuality, but then forces the bullies into making out with each other to gay-shame them? Maybe I’m over thinking it but that whole bit was weird. 

The cast are mostly good - I think Lucy Davies is mis-cast or over-acting or something. I like the set-up and I’ll watch a few more tonight. I think the big influence is Buffy more than the original 90’s show. 

I was forced to watch this by my other half but found it surprisingly engaging, mainly due to the good work of the cast. It manages to keep the teenage melodrama tone down while delivering some surprisingly bold moments of gore and horror. Time will tell if the show runners can maintain their resolve.