This is rather flat. And maybe it’s just me, but I’m not finding Daisy engaging at all - she almost seems to win by default and her comedy seems to entirely rest on “I’m bad at things, LAUGH AT ME”. Which I find tiresome. 

It’s also pretty clear that unless the next few eps see her crash out entirely she’s going to win the whole thing comfortably. 

Weird, I think this is one of the stronger series so far. Maybe the format does need a bit of a revamp soon though. Eleven seasons in and not a thing has changed so quite possible it is getting a little tired.

DMC is absolutely fantastic, there's always one contestant you won't be keen on though. I couldn't stand Liza Tarbuck (arse cake aside, though Horne provided the actual lolz) but most seemed to find her hilarious.

I'm the same. I didn't really know her at all (absolutely wouldn't have clocked her by name alone), but recognised her just about from the little I've seen of adverts for This Country (which I'm still not sure I'd enjoy, even after this). But she's been so much fun on this. I thought Richard Herring or Johnny Vegas would be my favourite, but she's knocked them into a cocked hat. (Katherine Parkinson is in second, because she's easily reduced to tears too, and I just can't help but find that funny).

3 minutes ago, MarkN said:

(Katherine Parkinson is in second, because she's easily reduced to tears too, and I just can't help but find that funny).

Poopers? Ploppers?

Yeah I thought Herring would be my favourite but he's not really shone so far. Vegas has been good, but DMC and Parkinson are my standouts too.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

I'm the same. I didn't really know her at all (absolutely wouldn't have clocked her by name alone), but recognised her just about from the little I've seen of adverts for This Country (which I'm still not sure I'd enjoy, even after this). But she's been so much fun on this. I thought Richard Herring or Johnny Vegas would be my favourite, but she's knocked them into a cocked hat. (Katherine Parkinson is in second, because she's easily reduced to tears too, and I just can't help but find that funny).

I was never excited about seeing This Country based on the adverts either, but my other half wanted to watch it and I’m glad we did. A surprisingly charming and warm hearted programme. Hopefully DMC’s appearance on Taskmaster will give it more exposure. 

2 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

It’s all perspective I guess. I usually don’t have much time for Vegas but he’s presented really well in this. Agree about Katherine Parkinson, though, she’s been a real highlight. Herring seems, I dunno, bored or something. Not terribly engaged most of the time. 

He's trying to win. Like, actually win. He's said before on his podcast that if he was on it he'd do it "properly" and actually win the thing.

I've found this series absolutely side-splitting, especially the last episode. Herring trying to chuck a suitcase full of stones into a christmas tree wrapping machine had me in stitches, as did Johnny Vegas flagging down a cyclist and inserting him into it. The contestants just seem like a nice bunch, I especially like Katherine Parkinson's hysterical laughter, and her general vibe of a normal person with a hint of madness under the surface. Also, I fancy her.

I'd never heard of Mawaan before, but he's really good.

1 minute ago, K said:

I've found this series absolutely side-splitting, especially the last episode. Herring trying to chuck a suitcase full of stones into a christmas tree wrapping machine had me in stitches, as did Johnny Vegas flagging down a cyclist and inserting him into it. The contestants just seem like a nice bunch, I especially like Katherine Parkinson's hysterical laughter, and her general vibe of a normal person with a hint of madness under the surface. Also, I fancy her.

I'd never heard of Mawaan before, but he's really good.

Yeah Taskmaster has been great for introducing me to new comedians. Really enjoying Mawaan and I'd only seen DMC in her small part in Avenue 5, though she was great in that too. I know James Acaster is on everything now but at the time I'd not heard of him. Also Jessica Knappett and Kerri Godliman.

I'd be disappointed if they did a series with a full cast of the usual suspects like Jimmy Carr, Tom Allen, et al but they do usually have at least one 'big' name like Jo Brand or Johnny Vegas, which is fine but I've enjoyed it mostly for getting to know new talent.

Put me in the love it camp for this series. While I agree the show's had a couple of slumps (I thought the Tarbuck/Vine/Howard/others series was largely shit and the Joe Thomas/Lou Sanders started poorly but then got much better) it's just lovely to have a show on mainstream TV that takes silliness so seriously. I love the contestants, DMC is pushing for all timer status. It's just clearly something that's been made to the best of their ability during lockdown and has been a proper tonic to everything being so shit every Thursday night. 

I think the tasks themselves have been mostly weaker this season, which is probably partly down to Covid restrictions that can't be helped, but there's always been at least something in each episode that's had me laughing my head off. DMC in the watermelon task in the latest one was amazing.

Is anyone watching the New Zealand version?  They've got a bit of work to do getting the chemistry working between Jeremy Wells and Paul Williams but it's a lot of fun and there are some flashes of brilliance in the tasks.

Episode 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11_SqnlfiYiWsd3uScQmxmbtYnjpBd2zq/view?usp=sharing

Episode 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mr3cNrnsQG3_Qwg6eOzUlRV0-OrQ0XHf/view?usp=sharing

Episode 3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vtaB5KBpCnKLeXSc41p8Ocyc9rde7hy-/view?usp=sharing

Episode 4: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NPK4c64zXz2fO8tSNP162qxaNq-iRKYB/view?usp=sharing

Looks like they're all (temporarily!) on YouTube as well, with one task spoiler in episode 3's thumbnail:

Spoiler

I love how as soon as they see Brynley Stent's costume everybody assumes it's a

Spoiler

Hitler Youth uniform :lol:

I like each of them individually, but I think the problem is they're both playing it quite straight so there's not a huge amount of chemistry yet. Paul has clearly taken his cues from Alex Horne but he's also putting his own spin on it, and he's very funny in the tasks as the series progresses. I think if maybe they lean a bit more into Jeremy being the straight man and Paul being a little bit weirder, the studio segments will be better for it.

But yeah it's really good, infinitely better than the US one and genuinely better than some of the UK seasons.

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/taskmaster-festive-special-announced

It was announced today that fans will get a festive treat as Alex Horne’s BAFTA winning show will return with a one-off Taskmaster festive special on Channel 4. The news arrives as series ten of the hit comedy entertainment show enjoyed its best performance on record with its premiere in its brand-new primetime slot.

For the first time ever, the Task Cottage doors will be flung open to welcome five brand new faces from the worlds of TV, film, radio, journalism, and shiny floor entertainment, as the almighty Greg Davies sets ludicrous challenges with his Little Assistant scuttling in tow for this one-off festive special. Our well-known contestants are experts in their respective fields, and will be revealed in due course, but how will they compare in the most hard fought, high stakes, ridiculous game show on television?

I've never really enjoyed panel shows which feature celebrities rather than comedians as contestants, so a bit dubious about this. And given the financial hit the comedy world has taken from lockdown it seems a shame that they wouldn't use this as an opportunity to help some of them out.

I wonder if it's at C4's insistence.

38 minutes ago, PK said:

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/taskmaster-festive-special-announced

I've never really enjoyed panel shows which feature celebrities rather than comedians as contestants, so a bit dubious about this. And given the financial hit the comedy world has taken from lockdown it seems a shame that they wouldn't use this as an opportunity to help some of them out.

I wonder if it's at C4's insistence.

Couldn't agree more. When they've had non-comedians on the show before, like Richard Osman and Alice Levine, they've been *shock-horror* not very funny. Happy to be proven wrong but as you say it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to all the struggling comedians at this time. Could have done a wooden spoon special and brought back some previous series losers or something.

1 hour ago, Papaya Dance said:

Couldn't agree more. When they've had non-comedians on the show before, like Richard Osman and Alice Levine, they've been *shock-horror* not very funny. Happy to be proven wrong but as you say it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to all the struggling comedians at this time. Could have done a wooden spoon special and brought back some previous series losers or something.

I really liked Richard Osman. He'd usually try to unpick the task at the start and find any loopholes. Sometimes it backfired on him. Other times it worked a treat, and if not hilarious it showed the other contestant's efforts to be largely a waste of time, which got picked up on by Greg. I guess he wasn't funny himself a lot of the time (just a bit of a smart arse), but his actions provided a lot of the fun in that series, if you see what I mean.

I'll be all over that Xmas special obviously, but - yeah - definitely wary about the contestants. 

2 hours ago, pledge said:

"Shiny-floor entrainment" wasn't a phrase I was familiar with, but wikipedia confirms my assumption this will be someone from Strictly Come Dancing.

Also includes The Voice, Britain’s Got Talent and The X Factor. Hopefully that dancing dog from a few years back will have a crack at some tasks.

(Will probably feature Big Narstie or Jon Snow for fish-out-of-water giggles. Claudia Winkleman is a mainstay of panel shows, reckon she’ll show up)

Latest UK episode spoiler

Spoiler

I'm not sure I understand the decision to have three back-to-back tasks that had little or no room for anyone to approach them in different ways. It made for quite a dull episode watching all 5 of them do roughly the same thing with different commentary.

Even the studio task was a bit dull. Although Daisy apparently getting genuinely furious with Richard was great.