23 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Great so far. I have no idea who Mike Wozniak is but I'm definitely seeing him when the Edinburgh fringe starts again.

If you’ve never seen Man Down, particularly the series with Rik Mayall in it, you should. It’s on All4 or whatever the channel 4 on demand service is called. Wozniak is in that. Does a lot of podcast/radio stuff too.

On 27/03/2021 at 14:05, Mawdlin said:

Great so far. I have no idea who Mike Wozniak is but I'm definitely seeing him when the Edinburgh fringe starts again.

Listen to his St Elwick’s Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast. He also often features on the wonderful Beef & Dairy Network podcast.

2 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

B) no man can hold 17 eggs in one hand, surely.

I managed 10, and have average-sized hands. Reckon better arrangement I could get 12; someone with large hands would easily get 17.

Looked it up and of course there is a Guinness World Record: 27, held by an Italian called Silvio Sabba. Although that had a time limit of 30 seconds. Unlimited time and someone’s going 30+

And now all I want a new series of Record Breakers hosted by Alex, with Grog Davids heckling from the sidelines.

17 hours ago, Jammy said:

If you’ve never seen Man Down, particularly the series with Rik Mayall in it, you should. It’s on All4 or whatever the channel 4 on demand service is called. Wozniak is in that. Does a lot of podcast/radio stuff too.

I really liked Man Down, but it's insistence on a sitcom-style mishap every episode became painful. The show was better than it thought it was in that regard, the characters were good enough with the "crazyness". But yes, apart from that it was excellent.

Wozniak on Herring's podcast was a stand out as well.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Wozniak on Herring's podcast was a stand out as well.

Oh brilliant, didn't realise he'd been on it. Thanks, that's the Monday morning email sift sorted!

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

I really liked Man Down, but it's insistence on a sitcom-style mishap every episode became painful.

Sitcom style mishaps in a sitcom? Whatever next.

Hit and miss for me this week. Very flat prize task but the others all had some good moments.

Ive also started a slow rewatch from the beginning (having only seen it all last year) but listening to the podcast episode after each.

Think the airport security maze is one of the worst tasks in the show’s history, only saved by Jamali seething at Alex.

Episode was fine otherwise. Charlotte trying to outrun water and gravity a plus.

2 hours ago, glb said:

Think the airport security maze is one of the worst tasks in the show’s history, only saved by Jamali seething at Alex.

Episode was fine otherwise. Charlotte trying to outrun water and gravity a plus.

Yep, I'm not sure where they thought the lolz were going to come from with the maze. 

Decent episode though. Alex being deliberately obtuse with Jamali is going to run and run, it's great. 

The maze would have made a good logic puzzle, but it was way too complex to make a good task. You can’t really visualise how removing bits would affect the route, so it came off as a bit abstract. 

I’m quite enjoying this series, but it seems more sedate than previous ones. There seems to be less conflict between the contestants this time round, so you don’t get Richard Herring arguing with Daisy May Cooper or Ed Gamble getting very angry, or Iain Sterling alienating absolutely everyone through being “dysfunctionally competitive”, as Paul Sinha put it. I think you need at least one person who takes it a bit too seriously. 

That said, I like the way Jamali treats Alex with absolute disdain, like Alex has dragged him out of bed to appear on the programme. 

I'm just catching up with it now, I cant believe they didn't pick up on Jamali missing September out in his voice message.

I did enjoy him moaning about Alex asking about the balloon colour and then the next clip is Alex asking him if the calender needs pictures on haha.

The maze didn't work at all. Nobody particularly struggled with the arbitrary rules, and it seemed like the entire task just became "go here, rummage through some bags and have a chat with Alex". 

I'm surprised it made the cut.

The maze was bad for the most part.

It suffered from being both too complicated and too simple at the same time. The rules felt cumbersome when read out but in the end no one struggled with them. And there just wasn’t enough danger of failure. Even the two who respected the failures didn’t create any real event. It needed to be longer somehow and easier to fail such that people felt something and exclaimed when it went wrong.

I think you can compare it to something like the series 2 exercise balls on the yoga mat at the top of the hill. A simple get things from a to b but when it went wrong it couldn’t be anything but hilarious. Whilst some made it easy there was always going to be someone struggling (which is typically where many of the laughs come from, particularly when contrasted with someone who smashes it).

I also made me think of Alex on the podcast for one of the series 1 episodes, I think the bath emptying one, where he spoke about it having too many rules/constraints. And how they wouldn’t do that these days. This wasn’t quite the same but something in it.

I think Jamali's just playing along. Thanks to Greg, the dynamic of the show is quite school-like, with Greg berating the contestants like an angry deputy head, and Alex scuttling around like an exam invigilator. So you get:

Pervy swot: Richard Herring

Concussed rugby captain: Joe Thomas

School bully who is nonetheless genuinely funny: Ed Gamble

Leader of clique of cool girls: Lou Sanders

Geography teacher who now has to attend school as a pupil due to some undisclosed but catastrophic life event: Mike Wozniak

Posh arty girl who wanders through life as if in a laudanum dream: Katherine Parkinson

Class clown who's not as funny as he thinks he is who peaked in year 8 by getting his knob out in Biology and is forever chasing that high: Iain Stirling

Picked last for games on every single occasion: Paul Sinha.

Expelled in year eleven for selling acid: Joe Wilkinson

Jamali's the kid who answered back to the teachers, but was tolerated because he got on with his work. He pushes back on Alex, but he seems good-humoured and doesn't disrupt the tasks/lessons like Iain Stirling did. I really like him.

I was worried about Jamali in the first episode of the series when he started to "answer back". There's a level of arguing that works and I think he slightly overstepped it in that first episode. Since then I think it has worked really well. I'm a fan when the contestants make Alex uncomfortable in every task. His greeting works to do that. Same as whoever it was who never, in the whole series, responded to the hello on arrival.

I get the character Jamali's going for, but I don't really find anything he says particularly witty so for me he's starting to grate a tiny bit. But yeah it's clear he's playing up the antagonist role, every series of TM needs one.

I don't think he's going for an antagonist role. Iain Stirling inadvertently made himself the villain of the series by being so intensely competitive, but Jamali seems to get on with the other contestants. If he has a role, I think it's just distrust / dislike of authority, played up for comic effect.

I'm not massively enjoying Jamali, but he's not on my list of least favourite ever. That's Roisin Connaty and Paul Chowdhary for me (both sulky little miseries) and Liza Tarbuck and whoever the dull ginger haired one is this time (just didn't entertain while doing anything). Jamali is just above them for me but only just. Mike for the win, I hope. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Was it Acaster that never replied to Alex's helloes? It was, wasn't it. "It's not part of the task, is it?"

Acaster also had a few arguments with people in the studio segments, including that very funny blow-up with Greg taking him to one side for a word. It was when Phil Wang brought in the puzzle box.

Looking back on that clip has reminded me that Rhod Gilbert had two or three genius moments in that series :)