Yeah, I enjoyed that, actually much more than the most recent series. 

23 hours ago, Halo said:

Agreed, far better than I expected and shows the format relies less on the contestants being comedians and more about people being performers and throwing themselves into it.

I get it for the others but I do wonder why Nicola Coughlan didn’t do a full series.

Agreed on this. They seem to bend the rules when they want (Alice Levine is a crap DJ, and Katherine Parkinson and Joe Thomas are not comedians by any stretch - in fact they both appeared to be having nervous breakdowns on the show), so it seems a silly restriction.

On 01/01/2021 at 22:14, Halo said:

Agreed, far better than I expected and shows the format relies less on the contestants being comedians and more about people being performers and throwing themselves into it.

I get it for the others but I do wonder why Nicola Coughlan didn’t do a full series.

Well, they wouldn't know how good she would be until they'ed done this one, I do hope that her appearance in this doesn't count her out for future ones as she was great. As as Rylan.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 21:36, Yobo Ahoy said:

Yeah, I enjoyed that, actually much more than the most recent series. 

Agreed on this. They seem to bend the rules when they want (Alice Levine is a crap DJ, and Katherine Parkinson and Joe Thomas are not comedians by any stretch - in fact they both appeared to be having nervous breakdowns on the show), so it seems a silly restriction.

We're on the Alice Levine season at the moment as we work our way through them all.

It does feel like the weakest one so far, although the might be partly due to the previous season being so good - Sally, Aisling, Bob, Nish, and Mark. Such a good lineup.

Surprised James Buckley hasn’t been on it, just because of The Inbetweeners connection with Greg Davies. Or Jon Richardson because he’s on every panel show going. Don’t mind him at all, think he’d be pretty good on it despite himself.

Yeah, he was in s2. James Buckley would be shite. Simon Bird might be quite good if they were milking the Inbetweeners connection but from what I can tell they all seem to play their Inbetweeners characters in real life too.

9 hours ago, El Pibe said:

We're on the Alice Levine season at the moment as we work our way through them all.

It does feel like the weakest one so far, although the might be partly due to the previous season being so good - Sally, Aisling, Bob, Nish, and Mark. Such a good lineup.

We just finished s6 after watching 10 then starting from the beginning. 6 is a bit of a slog. There is a general lack of chemistry between the contestants, a lot of the tasks are a bit rubbish and half the time it's like they can't really be bothered to try and just do the basic and obvious things. I liked Tim Vine a lot more than I was expecting though.

26 minutes ago, spork said:

We just finished s6 after watching 10 then starting from the beginning. 6 is a bit of a slog. There is a general lack of chemistry between the contestants, a lot of the tasks are a bit rubbish and half the time it's like they can't really be bothered to try and just do the basic and obvious things. I liked Tim Vine a lot more than I was expecting though.

Spoiler

Tim Vine and the hook is the single most amazing piece of television ever made

But yeah, I agree on the whole s6 was weak.

I quite liked series 6 (albeit not as much 1-5 or 7) but I found parts of series 8 genuinely uncomfortable to watch. Particularly the team tasks. It was the only series where I struggled to like all of the contestants (particularly that bloke from the inbetweeners who really seemed like he was irritated to even be there). Although saying that, I have yet to watch series 10 (currently halfway through 9). 

We've been rewatching the lot over the last while and 6 is definitely the weakest series, followed by 8, but they're sandwiched between the glorious 5, the excellent 7, and the pretty good 9. 

Onto the first episode of Series 10 last night and on rewatch I found that episode even funnier than before. In truth, that goes for a lot of the show - I think I've seen several series at least three or four times and if anything the best of them just get funnier.

It'll be Taskmaster New Zealand next and that'll be a real test, given I'll be familiar with nobody involved. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The guy from the Inbetweeners gave me some proper laugh out loud moments.

Yeah it took a while for me to warm to him but when I realised he wasn't being an arsehole but is just an incredibly weird guy he's turned into one of my favourite people. If you've not heard him on Ed Gamble and James Acaster's Off Menu definitely get on it, it's easily my favourite one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got 1 more episode of season 9 left and we're all caught up after starting with season 10 and then going back and watching from series 1. 

Obviously season 7 had been the highlight and I was expecting 8 to drag a bit after the comments in here but it was still one of the better seasons for me. Season 9 though has been really really good with everyone being much more likable than I was expecting me them to be.

Considering how rubbish season 6 was, the show really managed to redeem itself with seasons 7, 8, 9 and 10. I'm just very glad we don't have to wait long for season 11.

I’m just finishing series 9, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I get strong school bully vibes from Ed Gamble, but he is incredibly funny and I’ve warmed to him a lot. The only one I’m not too sure about is Katy Wix - she’s very funny, but doesn’t seem to quite fit in the show - all the others seem to have settled into characters or roles for the programme, but I never quite know where she’s coming from. Which I guess is a good thing in a way, but she seems to exist outside the group dynamic. 

1 minute ago, K said:

I get strong school bully vibes from Ed Gamble

Yes!  He reminds me so clearly of a very particular type of private secondary school dickhead that you had to look out for.

He seems a little different in clips from before he lost a load of weight, so maybe he's just riding a massive wave of confidence.

7 minutes ago, PK said:

Yes!  He reminds me so clearly of a very particular type of private secondary school dickhead that you had to look out for.

He seems a little different in clips from before he lost a load of weight, so maybe he's just riding a massive wave of confidence.

Blimey, I had no idea he'd lost so much weight. The confidence thing does make sense, as he is a handsome chap now.

The vibe I get from him is this very specific type of person who was funny and superficially friendly, but the friendliness never felt quite genuine, the jokes always had a slight edge to them, and you knew he would turn on you in a second. Probably completely wrong and unfair, but it does introduce an interesting tension into my viewing of Taskmaster.

I find myself comparing Ed Gamble to Iain Stirling. I think Gamble gets away with it and it feels like he's exaggerating things as a character, whereas Stirling came across as really quite unlikeable.

We just finished watching from season one and so the new season coming is very good timing! Such a great show and only seasons 6 and 8 felt like they dipped a bit, but even then there were plenty of highlights.

Season 9 was very good. Really liked Rose, who I hadn't heard of previously.

4 minutes ago, spork said:

Is the first season of the NZ version worth watching or does it lose its charm without Greg and Alex?

I thought it was brilliant! Great tasks, great chemistry between the competitors. You can tell not-Greg and not-Alex are still finding their feet a bit with their rapport but it's really good, up there with some of the best UK TM series.

I thought NZ was fantastic too. I wasn't sure if non-Alex was trying to do an Alex impression or just naturally like that. Either way found him hilarious. It showed that UK should stick with comedians rather than moving into broader entertainers, as despite not knowing any of them they were all pretty good in different ways.