Radio 1’s Greg James is one of the contestants rumoured for the Christmas special.

Thought the latest episode was fairly subdued. Rewatched some older eps last week and perhaps the minor differences caused by social distancing are more noticeable as a result.

And found Daisy’s meltdown in the final task really awkward. Iain Sterling had some good angry rants but at least they had some trace of humour in them. DMC just came across as a bit of a dick.

On 19/11/2020 at 15:32, PK said:

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/taskmaster-festive-special-announced

I've never really enjoyed panel shows which feature celebrities rather than comedians as contestants, so a bit dubious about this. And given the financial hit the comedy world has taken from lockdown it seems a shame that they wouldn't use this as an opportunity to help some of them out.

I wonder if it's at C4's insistence.

I imagine it's Channel 4's attempt to increase its audience - get people who wouldn't normally watch to tune in for random reality show celebrity X and then hopefully get them to stick around for the next series.

As long as they don't mess with the main show, I can't really complain too much about a special.

The cocktail thing was amazing, I’m laughing just thinking about some of it, like Alex drinking the bin juice, or Katherine painstakingly dropping an ice cube in as quietly as possible, and then just plonking one down and having to start the whole thing again. 

17 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Felt tonight's episode was a bit of a let down. All the tasks had comedy potential but there weren't really any stand out moments. Daisy throwing a minor strop is only funny so many times. Still been a strong series overall though I think.

Think the social distancing changes are really hampering the studio sections, which is leaving the show a bit flat at times. 

The prize tasks have been mostly shit, but without a live audience and no instant feedback beyond Greg’s reaction, there’s nothing to vibe off and lean into. Daisy’s strops probably sound really awkward in a relatively empty studio, even when played for comic effect.

The tasks have been their usual mix, but again when cutting back to the studio there’s only a minimal reaction with there being no live audience, so there’s a spontaneity missing.

It’s a fun series, and I’m glad to have the daft escapism at the minute, but doubt I’ll rewatch this one beyond the YouTube highlights.

57 minutes ago, Graham S said:

There's an at home charity video

https://taskmasterstore.com/products/digital-download

I've bought it, I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick micro-review. It's a short introductory video for the TaskMaster (you) and then a 7 minute long video, mostly of Alex at home, with a bit of Greg, which with pauses, provides enough for evening of tasks. I didn't count, but they were roughly 10, largely getting stuff from around the house, and dressing up etc. Bit silly, might be fun for the right group. I don't think I'm going to use it for the family or for my work team over Zoom, but still, all in a good cause.

27 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Yeah but Richard Osman is one of the worst people ever. They’re probably trying to Chris Benoit him.

I dunno, you'd need alot of body strength to get him in the crippler cross-face.

6 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

The Taskmaster festive one off special will be with John Hannah, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Nicola Coughlan, Rylan Clark-Neal and Shirley Ballas. 

Thankfully that’s a much better line-up than the rumours suggested.

9 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Looks like the NZ episodes have been pulled from YouTube, shame as I was enjoying them. Might watch the rest on the Google drive link but I usually can't be arsed watching stuff on my laptop.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday. Watched half an episode, came back to finish it off and it had been hit by a copyright strike.

Was really struggling with the lack of chemistry between not Greg and not Alex though. It all seemed a bit dead.

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah I noticed that yesterday. Watched half an episode, came back to finish it off and it had been hit by a copyright strike.

Was really struggling with the lack of chemistry between not Greg and not Alex though. It all seemed a bit dead.

That improves as the season progresses, although they do still need to work on it a bit. Paul (Not-Alex)'s deadpan act is really good during the pre-recorded tasks, but doesn't work as well in the studio segments because Jeremy is playing a sort of no-nonsense CEO as opposed to Greg's mad god-emperor. Luckily the contestants are all a lot of fun.

I can share links to all 6 of the episodes if anyone wants, send us a PM. You can also watch it on the TV NZ website via a VPN.

Has anyone seen the Norwegian and Danish ones? Apparently they're very good

I’m really not sure how anyone in production didn’t stop and think the acting task wouldn’t be terribly boring TV. So repetitive. Went on for so so long. Even if they’d filmed it (and I’m not sure how it got that far) you’d think you’d just leave it out.