dumpster

Biggest discrepancy in gaming - your opinion Vs everyone

8 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I thought that Chemical Brothers (I think) remix of the Manic Street Preachers was one of the highlights of that Gran Turismo. It was great.

I remember whoever headed up SCEE at the time making a bit of noise about that track in an interview. He was right to. Even if he did try and suggest it was produced especially for the game, which it wasn’t.

Skyrim.

What everyone else thinks: Amazing one of the best games ever.

What I think: Booooooooooooooring. Walking walking walking walking walking walking walking. Shit combat. Talking talking talking talking talking talking talking. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, sandman said:

I also hate how sp gaming has become "serious" in its story telling. From uncharted 4 to Tomb Raider everything has become grimdark. Spider-Man has many problems, buts it's breezy storytelling is like a breath of fresh air.

The 'serious' TR reboot and the Uncharted series started out last gen though complete with 'serious' storytelling and scripts.;) Seem to remember people saying the 360/PS3 gen was the age of the same games only with 'shinny' graphics. I don't think that needed to level up to get better weapons is an exclusive issue only to this gen.

Seem to remember Super Metroid not giving me all the weapons at the start, just start starting off with a Handgun and Knife in Resident Evil or just a handgun in Doom :p.        

6 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I don’t think that someone who has been religiously buying COD every year for over a decade is fully qualified to comment on the quality of gaming during that time.

Don't see quite what's so wrong with the COD games myself. COD II was really fab last year and Infinite Warfare was one of the best in the game series imo. How's that for some big discrepancy in gaming lol. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, sandman said:

This gen is the most over rated and over hyped of all time. It's so poor compared to 360/PS3 generation.  With the exception of BOTW and (possibly) Witcher 3 it's been an utter rehash of the last gen with slightly better graphics. Millions have been duped by the hype and many have actually been conned into buying a mid gen upgrade console. 

Converesly, I don't think we have ever had it so good. This gen has been the best by an absolute mile.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Broad brushstrokes, from indies to triple A, it's been the best gen by a country mile.

Agreed. I've also noticed frequently the people who grumble the most about the current state of gaming largely ignore the indie side of the things.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, matt0 said:

Agreed. I've also noticed frequently the people who grumble the most about the current state of gaming largely ignore the indie side of the things.

Yeah but indie isn't real games!!1

I think this gen, PS4/Xbox One/Switch, has been quality but I don't feel the same excitement for game announcements and releases I did back in the 90s/early 2000s.

Watching those vids of Gran Turismo remind me of how mind blowing it was at the time. Not just the leap in graphical prowess but also the style, sheer number of vehicles and handling model.

You can add to that games like Doom, Mario 64 and MGS 2. They all just gave me a thrill of The New that modern games can't match.

There is one thing that could potentially match it - VR - but we're not quite there yet. Still, VR games have come the closest to giving me goosebumps this gen.

• Upvote 1

Mate, that's me every gen since the 8 and 16-bit days. Nothing to do with the actual quality of the games. I bet TV, movies and music don't give you the same feelings as they did back then, either.

34 minutes ago, smac said:

Mate, that's me every gen since the 8 and 16-bit days. Nothing to do with the actual quality of the games. I bet TV, movies and music don't give you the same feelings as they did back then, either.

Not really, in terms of TV nothing from my youth compares with Breaking Bad. Games are different because they're not so much tied into nostalgia as technological advances.

Not really a discrepancy in opinion; more a discrepancy in approach to gaming.

Everyone: this gen is amazing and the best yet; this new game and that new game are incredible. Everything is superseded by NEW THINGS. I must get new release X on day one! Ooh, there's a conference at 5; I hope they unveil A, B and C!

Me: Man, I'm really enjoying Wipeout Pulse, Catherine and Global Defence Force. I should probably give Persona 5 a bash at some point. Will probably put more time into Bayonetta first.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, smac said:

Yeah, to be fair, there have been waves of enthusiam over the years, and they are getting rarer. I'll give you that.

Depends on the medium. We live in hype central like never before, but other media is ultimately more passive than videogames and that's a layer of separation that affords an added cynicism. And rightly so.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

I think this gen, PS4/Xbox One/Switch, has been quality but I don't feel the same excitement for game announcements and releases I did back in the 90s/early 2000s.

Watching those vids of Gran Turismo remind me of how mind blowing it was at the time. Not just the leap in graphical prowess but also the style, sheer number of vehicles and handling model.

You can add to that games like Doom, Mario 64 and MGS 2. They all just gave me a thrill of The New that modern games can't match.

I think you're right, but I actually prefer it the way it is now. It's harder for developers to hide behind impressive new hardware or interfaces or whatever and the result has been a greater focus on art and gameplay design. The range of visual styles we get now is excellent and, with indies especially, where hardware performance is less of a concern, there's been some really clever experimentation with genres and some really great exploration of themes. I find all that far more interesting.

15 hours ago, sandman said:

I also hate how sp gaming has become "serious" in its story telling. From uncharted 4 to Tomb Raider everything has become grimdark. Spider-Man has many problems, buts it's breezy storytelling is like a breath of fresh air.

I always thought that the uncharted series straddle a great line between serious drama and lighthearted japes (though 4 was probably a bit darker). Tomb raider, on the other hand, is just a somber, almost joyless experience but without the writing quality to carry that vibe off properly.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

There is one thing that could potentially match it - VR - but we're not quite there yet. Still, VR games have come the closest to giving me goosebumps this gen.

Diminishing returns.

The wholesale jump to 3D was a huge change. Ever since then, it s has been a refinement of existing technology. Yes , Gt Sport is a world away from Gt 1, but fundamentally it;s the same base. It's like how swtiching from Black and white tv to colour was a far more pronounced change that going from SD to HD.

The reason why VR gives you those "holy shit" moments when you first try it , is that you are seeing something genuinely new, like when you saw Mario 64, or the juggler demo on the Amiga.

But none of this detracts from the sheer quality we have today. It might be a refinement of what we were getting 20 years ago, but when I play spider-man or God of War or Uncharted is blows my mind how far we have come.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Think the problem now is the widespread use of the intenet and accessibility to it (via mobile devices). We are constantly bombarded with videos, screenshots, demos etc. So you see all the updates super quick and less is surprise anymore. Magazines were read back in the day, a brief glimpse of a screenshot or a note on development progress. The excitement was gradually built up. Also when you are younger everything feels fresh and new, now over they years you are just seeing iterative developments of what has gone before.

• Empathy 1

Off-topic slightly, I struggle to get interested in indie neo-retro games. You know, the ones with 8-bit or 16-bit throwback graphics and (often but not exclusively) Metroidvania games structure. Cave Story and Axiom Verge I both enjoyed, but the whole template has been done to death since then, and it now comes across as a lazy cliche. So recently I cannot get enthusiastic about neo-retro indie games – or even less visually retro-looking games like the Wonder Boy HD remaster and Hollow Knight – no matter the critical and consumer acclaim those games receive.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Everyone: this gen is amazing and the best yet; this new game and that new game are incredible. Everything is superseded by NEW THINGS. I must get new release X on day one! Ooh, there's a conference at 5; I hope they unveil A, B and C!

Me: Man, I'm really enjoying Wipeout Pulse, Catherine and Global Defence Force. I should probably give Persona 5 a bash at some point. Will probably put more time into Bayonetta first.

Interestingly I think this is partly why I'm enjoying the Xbox One X so much. It let's me play from three generations on one system and gives them a wee buff up to play on my 4k screen too in some cases. Gamepass is almost an invitation to play some gems you may have missed instead of "consuming" the next big thing in a week and getting it traded in for next weeks best game evah. 

2 hours ago, Camel said:

I wouldn't say it's so either/or - we're just in the middle of an insanely good era in gaming, including the mop-up from last-gen. I still need to buy a WiiU for TMS and Bayo 2, I still want to see what Asura's Wrath is like, there are other Souls games I'd like to try, and so on... but there's so much stuff going on right now as well. :) 

13 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Skyrim.

What everyone else thinks: Amazing one of the best games ever.

What I think: Booooooooooooooring. Walking walking walking walking walking walking walking. Shit combat. Talking talking talking talking talking talking talking. 

I resent that! 

I'll have you know there is more to Skyrim than that. 

There's also jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping "ah fuck, I've dropped back down" jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping. :coffee:

Oh yeah. Modding Modding Modding Modding Modding... that too. 

It's a fucking curse. I spent more time modding the XB1 version than playing it. 

On 23/09/2018 at 10:15, Fallows said:

Do you, or anyone else, fancy a spot of co-op on River City Ransom at some point? Of course Switch Online is required, but it'd be a lot of fun I think.

This is exactly the kind of NES/SNES game I was looking forward to with the added online.

It is a lot of fun in co-op, but that is practically the case 99.99999% of the time I find. They should add that feature to all the Japanese games which sort of follow its recipe, would make them even better :)  Tragically they removed that feature from the GBA remake :(

Ganbare Goemon does have better co-op than it as an aside. One of you not great at platforming?, no problem!, just piggyback on the better player and save some grief for those sections. :)

We haven't seen a huge leap forward in mechanics and stuff this gen really, though games generally seem a bit smoother and a bit more attention seems to be payed to frame rate etc. For me the big leap this gen has been in the quality of writing/performance - there has been some really emotional and heartfelt stuff around, particularly in the indie space, and that has been a really welcome change for me.

14 minutes ago, El Stevo said:

For me the big leap this gen has been in the quality of writing/performance - there has been some really emotional and heartfelt stuff around, particularly in the indie space, and that has been a really welcome change for me.

I would agree with this. The industry has definitely matured.

The new God of War.

I can appreciate the artwork and AAA polish but I found it a real chore, only finished it because I wanted to see the top of the mountain. Too much open world busy work type stuff, too many systems to upgrade in play and in spite of this the combat was still very repetitive with samey enemy dynamics throughout. The majority of it was visually way too dark as well.

• Upvote 2