Jump to content
dumpster

Biggest discrepancy in gaming - your opinion Vs everyone

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I played through the opening level, determined to avoid walkthroughs and googling, and could not understand why i kept freezing to death on the way to the shrine.  Eventually I found that there's a book in a hut in one area of this massive map and that tells you how to cook, and explains you can cook chillis. Now this makes sense, but what are the odds of me finding that hut? 

 

I never found that hut/book. I survived by figuring the chillis thing out on my own using the convenient cooking pot near the entrance to the frozen bit, but you can also carry a torch for warmth and I'm sure there are other solutions. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's been diminishing returns with Nintendo for a good while, although I haven't had one of their machines since the Wii and DS.

 

They made far and away the best stuff in the SNES and N64 generations, and there's some great stuff on the GBA, but I can't think of one major game they've made from Gamecube onwards that I really love.

 

(Having said that, I'd still like to try BotW some time. And at least I know about the chillis now...)

 

21 minutes ago, MattyP said:

GTA series... never really enjoyed them. Appreciate the worlds created, detail is phenomenal and as a technical exercise they are amazing. As a game for me though they just leave me bit cold.. the missions in particular get tedious when you fail them as it feels very old school at times. Just wish R*  would build something less violent with the amazing tech they create. Anyway....

I've tried a few GTAs now and think they're pretty much awful. I mean, the city on GTAV is amazing and the online mode was entertaining for a while, but the story and missions were incredibly poor. I found the characters and dialogue exruciating, and so much of it is forced on you, even multiple times if you fail a section and have to repeat. And then the missions involve a lot of drive here, follow that car and equally mundane stuff. Even the heists were just a checklist of chores once you'd chosen what to do.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That as well. I enjoy the odd bit of online shooting mans and the odd bit of MMOing, but I see the likes of PUBG and Fortnite being incredibly popular and I have no idea why.

 

My brief flirts with PUBG and Fortnite largely consisted of boredom, frustration and wondering why I was bothering.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I just don't get the praise heaped on Breath of the Wild. In my opinion it's not even the best Zelda game, let alone the best game ever.

 

In a genre where you have open worlds packed with life and adventure, Witcher and GTA5 spring to mind, I just find the relatively sparse world of Zelda and its puzzle-box approach to a bit snooze-worthy.

I concur.

 

BotW is an exploration and discovery game. Different from a open world game. Open world games generally have defined objectives within an open world environment. BotW was somewhat aimless and sparse as you say, outside of the 4 main objectives.

 

I need some direction and purpose.

  • Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rainbow Six Siege is better than...

 

COD, BF, PUBG, OW, Destiny... any multiplayer fps you are playing, you should stop now and learn how to play Siege instead. It’s a stone-cold classic.

The tension at the end of a Battle Royale match? It has that every 3 minutes. It’s a sandbox shooter with no two matches turning out the same and the most advanced destruction model in gaming. Each operator has unique abilities which combined create endless tactical possibilities.

 

It has received incredibly post-launch support with new maps and operators, meta changes every 3 months.

 

It should be the biggest game in the world right now. Yet plenty of “gamers” oddly sneer at it and the thread here is dead.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion: a sports-based videogame absolutely does not need to feature expensive licensed facsimiles or representations of real-life players/teams/venues/tournaments. I mean, most of the time you are controlling a small unrecognisable sprite on an anonymous green background. And the skill level of your "player" should be reflected by your own skill at the game.

 

Everyone else: wah, I want to play as Federer, his stats are better than yours / wah, those are last year's strip colours for Rotherham United, this game sux / etc etc

  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I concur.

 

BotW is an exploration and discovery game. Different from a open world game. Open world games generally have defined objectives within an open world environment. BotW was somewhat aimless and sparse as you say, outside of the 4 main objectives.

 

I need some direction and purpose.

That actually sounds really appealing to me. When I've enjoyed open world games it's been because the exploration/discovery aspect is worthwhile. I spent most of my time in Horizon just wandering the map and dealing with whatever appealed. Aimlessly traversing the countryside was also my favourite aspect of Witcher 3.

 

I really should play BotW.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BadgerFarmer said:

That actually sounds really appealing to me. When I've enjoyed open world games it's been because the exploration/discovery aspect is worthwhile. I spent most of my time in Horizon just wandering the map and dealing with whatever appealed. Aimlessly traversing the countryside was also my favourite aspect of Witcher 3.

 

I really should play BotW.

If that sort of theing appeals to you, then BoTW will be your game of forever.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Rainbow Six Siege is better than...

 

COD, BF, PUBG, OW, Destiny... any multiplayer fps you are playing, you should stop now and learn how to play Siege instead. It’s a stone-cold classic.

The tension at the end of a Battle Royale match? It has that every 3 minutes. It’s a sandbox shooter with no two matches turning out the same and the most advanced destruction model in gaming. Each operator has unique abilities which combined create endless tactical possibilities.

 

It has received incredibly post-launch support with new maps and operators, meta changes every 3 months.

 

It should be the biggest game in the world right now. Yet plenty of “gamers” oddly sneer at it and the thread here is dead.

Bought, played it, hated it.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Red Faction: Armageddon is much better than Guerrilla and comfortably one of the best shooters of last generation.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to properly push my way through The Witcher 3, all the way to the end of the game with around 70 hours on the clock in the vain attempt that it would click with me. I found it to be generally very boring, with a bland open world and bland combat... I still want to click with it, as I like these kind of games and I don't quite get why I wasn't feeling it. I maybe pushed through the main quest too fast. 

 

On the other hand, I love Resident Evil 6. It's a dumb and pulpy comic-book brought to life in a game with some of the best TPS mechanics implemented in any game. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

If that sort of theing appeals to you, then BoTW will be your game of forever.

 

That’s exactly the sort of thing that appeals to me, and I think it probably is my game of forever:

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madworld is the worst game I've ever played. 

 

 

I have played games that are worse on a technical or mechanical level but Madworld is the only thing where I've felt shame about playing a game.  Whenever the Black Baron showed up I got nervous that someone would see me playing the game and I'd have to try and explain that character. Maybe I was being overly sensitive about it for some reason but I couldn't hack watching those cutscenes. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I had to properly push my way through The Witcher 3, all the way to the end of the game with around 70 hours on the clock in the vain attempt that it would click with me. I found it to be generally very boring, with a bland open world and bland combat... I still want to click with it, as I like these kind of games and I don't quite get why I wasn't feeling it. I maybe pushed through the main quest too fast. 

 

On the other hand, I love Resident Evil 6. It's a dumb and pulpy comic-book brought to life in a game with some of the best TPS mechanics implemented in any game. 

I felt exactly the same about Witcher 3, played through to the end but much of it was a slog. That slog was punctuated by brilliant moments but not enough of them to leave a positive impression. The whole thing just felt really average. (I will say though that the weather effects were really nice.)

 

Yet strangely I'm still quite excited about Cyberpunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

 

I never found that hut/book. I survived by figuring the chillis thing out on my own using the convenient cooking pot near the entrance to the frozen bit, but you can also carry a torch for warmth and I'm sure there are other solutions. 

 

Yeah, this was on of those moments which acts like it would in real life.  I too never found the hut, never thought to do anything with chillies (because in real life Chillies wouldn't actually keep you warm, I assume) but thought I'd try whether a burning torch would keep me warm, which it did.  Video game logic can always be a bit hit and miss but that bit used real world logic to great effect. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the Nintendo / Mario / Zelda hype / obsession. I look at Mario and Zelda games and just don't get what the fuss is about. Consequently, no post-SNES hardware interests me, not least because it is, in my opinion, inferior to the Sony and Microsoft offering each generation. I actually own everything up to Wii, but I have literally never switched on my N64 or GameCube - they're just there for decoration - and I don't like the controllers.

 

I also prefer the modern Mortal Kombat and Injustice games over Street Fighter and Tekken. I think they're fantastic, in fact.

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggle with most of Sony's AAA offerings. Tried God of War, The Last of Us, Horizon, Detroit and all of them leave me uninterested. The only games I play on my PS4 is Bloodborne and Rez. 

 

I think I'm just bored of AAA in general. 

 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me: Nostalgia fucking sucks, it's endless, overdone, literally the easier, lowest effort money spinner there is, and you're not going to recapture your youth. Grow up.

 

Everyone else: Squee! They're bringing back something I recognise! More please daddy!

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.