The 'Not So Famous Celebrity' Death Thread :(

He was great in The Thing. I remember him turning up in Absence of Malice for a couple of scenes, and he owned them completely. 

Good fun in Remo too.

On 02/08/2020 at 09:49, Goose said:

He was great in The Thing. I remember him turning up in Absence of Malice for a couple of scenes, and he owned them completely. 

Good fun in Remo too.

His mental breakdown scene in The Thing is fantastic. He really goes to town.

One of those actors who for the five minutes they might be on screen, you know it is going to be good.

I love Hard Target far more than it deserves to have.  And when Brimley turns up, it gets really awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Cross has passed away - 72 years old. He's been in loads of stuff, but I remember him in a BBC drama years and years ago called The Citadel. Always stuck with me. 

3888.jpg

As well as being in one of my top 20 films, he popped up in all sorts, Just by chance I’ve seen him in 3 films recently, Hurricane Heist, Turbulence and A bridge too far. 

Just a great actor. RIP

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed I came here to see if the forum had honoured one the most understated and evil/Hitler-esque bond villains.

Moonraker is not the best bond film (althought I adore it!)  but Lonsdale is a perfect bond villain. His later work indicates a real thoughtful and intelligent character actor.

Yep, Drax had some of the best lines of a Bond villain, delivered perfectly by Lonsdale.

"Mr. Bond, you defy all my attempts to plan an amusing death for you."

"James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."

Proper mad as well. What a speech...

"First there was the dream, now there is reality. Here in the untainted cradle of the heavens will be created a new super race, a race of perfect physical specimens. You have been selected as its progenitors. Like gods, your offspring will return to Earth and shape it in their image. You have all served in public capacities in my terrestrial empire. Your seed, like yourselves, will pay deference to the ultimate dynasty which I alone have created. From their first day on Earth they will be able to look up and know that there is law and order in the heavens."

RIP.

From that Hollywood Reporter article, which also includes the story of his connection to E.T., which I never knew:

Cobb brought to life several cantina creatures for Star Wars (1977) and came up with weaponry and sets for Conan the Barbarian (1982), the exterior and interior of the Nostromo ship in Alien (1978) and the earth colony complex in Aliens (1986) and the DeLorean time machine in Back to the Future (1985).

His prolific design work also included the breathing tanks and helmets in The Abyss (1989), the Omega Sector logo and the H bombs in True Lies (1990), the interior of the Mothership and the stranded tanker in Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) and the vehicles of The Last Starfighter (1984).

It was Cobb who suggested that the alien's blood be corrosive, thereby solving a potential plot hole as to why the crew wouldn't simply shoot or mutilate the creature.

• 3 weeks later...