Sign in to follow this  
mr_woo

Judge Eyes announced (PS4 - Ryu Ga Gotoku studios New IP. Out Dec 13th 2018 in Japan. Jp demo out today. Western release confirmed for 2019)

So during the Sony Pre Tokyo Game Show stream, Nagoshi came on and announced the new RGG Studios game.  It's a new IP, a detective action game set in Kamurucho.  December release in Japan, demo out today on the JP PSN Store and confirmed as coming to the west in 2019 :)

English trailers already out:

• Upvote 3

Only Nagoshi makes a game like this, that switches from serious crime drama to the protagonist firing a massive laser canon. Gaming is all the better for it.

• Upvote 2

Waiting for the moment when they reveal - HA! - it's actually BINARY FUCKING DOMAIN 2 AND THEY HAD US ALL FOOLED LIKE IMBECILES!

Not exactly hyped about sections where you tail people. Had enough of that before Assassin's Creed 1 was ever conceived.

This is actually the start of that new Yakuza series, isn't it? No way they'd just copy and paste Kamurocho into another series, they get enough stick doing it between numbered games.

Would they? They would, wouldn't they?

• Upvote 1

Part of me is weirdly excited to see Kamurocho from different points of view. I think it looks bloody amazing, a mash up of Yakuza and Ace Attorney? Yes please. I'm in no matter what.

Nice to michi, Judge Eyes! 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, hellcock junior said:

Stop it! I can't play the same game series forever, leave my wallet alone!

No!

I can't tell if this means you approve or not of this game idea.

Is the name going to be Judge Eyes or is it Project Judge? as the translator used the latter, despite the former being displayed!?!

Or will they localise it as something like Rogue Ex-Lawyer/Attorney to continue the sort of describes what it is on the tin naming for hard of thinking non-Japanese.

48 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Or will they localise it as something like Rogue Ex-Lawyer/Attorney to continue the sort of describes what it is on the tin naming for hard of thinking non-Japanese.

In that case: Rogue Lawyer EX plus QTE surely? :D

Anyway, this looks great. I'm in! Of course I would be :omg:

5 hours ago, crisy said:

I'm baffled as to how the developer can stand the sight of Kamurucho anymore. They've done it to death. 

I can't help but think that if it was any other game series that kept using the same setting, especially one so small, they would have been torn a new one by now. Crackdown had one sequel, and still gets shit for using the same city.

Don't get me wrong, I love the games and will be there day one for this. But I'm bored of walking the same streets now.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, Crackdown 2 didn't get shit for using the same city, but for feeling like a cheap mod that would have been free if it were on PC - fighting the zombie-like creatures was shit, the way the city was covered in zombie shit was shit, and the missions and general structure was shit. It was clearly rushed out and I'm sure the devs did the best they could within the ridiculously small timeframe Microsoft had allowed, but it's a strong candidate for biggest disappointment of the generation.

Edit: to say something on-topic, I'm sure I'll love this game given the team that's making it. Until now I've always loved revisiting Kamurocho, but I totally understand if you get worried about doing so yet again, even when they've changed title, protagonist, and genre. I'm sure it will be fine though.

• Empathy 1

I think a possible issue is the saturation of games from the studio over here in the last two years. Revisiting Kamurocho has generally been a delight for me over the years, with those sometimes lengthy gaps between games due to the dark days of localisation. Since 2017 though we've had 4 games featuring Kamurocho come out outside of Japan, plus the upcoming Fist of the North Star game which feels very familiar (though I won't deny, loved the demo for it).

I do like what appears to be a much deeper level of interaction with the environment. After playing Yakuza 6 I was hoping the studio would push towards more of that, really dig into the density of the world. As much as it may sound like sacrilege though, I'd like it if they could strip out the combat entirely...

• Upvote 2

I bloody love all the Yakuza games and although a different setting would be nice in a way, I can't really begrudge them using the same location and assets considering it's done so well.

It's not like it looks like crap and they're reusing it and hopefully the detection/ cop part will make it a bit different.

Although I finished kiwami 2 last night and thought to myself "can I just keep playing these games all the time please" so I'm more than happy.

I've got spooderman to play and I'd much rather more Yakuza any day of the week.

41 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I bloody love all the Yakuza games and although a different setting would be nice in a way, I can't really begrudge them using the same location and assets considering it's done so well.

It's not like it looks like crap and they're reusing it and hopefully the detection/ cop part will make it a bit different.

Although I finished kiwami 2 last night and thought to myself "can I just keep playing these games all the time please" so I'm more than happy.

I've got spooderman to play and I'd much rather more Yakuza any day of the week.

Yeah, it's a good way to keep the budget low. These are hardly AAA behemoths. You have to cut some corners when you're not raking in Spider-Man or GTA money.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Is it only me getting a bit of an La Noire vibe from it all :(

Probaby. I can't remember crazy wall-kicks, pinball and laser canons in LA Noire. :)

I noticed that in one bit of the gameplay trailer, the main character does a rather good impression of that Capcom lawyer game :lol: so he definitely is ex-legal :)

As long as they don't make you do random battles, it'll be a change from the usual purely on that basis.

On 12/09/2018 at 10:31, Talk Show Host said:

Kamurocho? Again? <_<

You just got called out! I'm with Tim here - Kamurocho is basically it's own character now. I love the way it can be utilised in different ways and how it's grown/shrunk/aged in all the different titles.

• Upvote 2