rllmuk
joffocakes

Samurai Spirits/Shodown - 2019

On 06/06/2019 at 17:41, Rsdio said:

They've said that there's going to be a day one patch for the input lag, which is reassuring.

Tests of the day one patch seem very positive 

• Upvote 1

My copy arrived from The Game Collection this morning :eyebrows:

The tutorial is pretty bare bones in comparison with stuff like Skullgirls, Guilty Gear or UNIST but at least it's there I guess. I can tell the defensive options are going to take a bit of getting used to.

If anyone fancies a button mash to test out the netcode, give me a shout.

• Upvote 2

On 22/06/2019 at 12:59, Rsdio said:

My copy arrived from The Game Collection this morning :eyebrows:

The tutorial is pretty bare bones in comparison with stuff like Skullgirls, Guilty Gear or UNIST but at least it's there I guess. I can tell the defensive options are going to take a bit of getting used to.

If anyone fancies a button mash to test out the netcode, give me a shout.

PS4? Can hop on whenever. KayinAmoh is my PSN name.

Reviews are out now and seem to be around an 8/10.  I was a bit worried it was going to be rubbish  after listening to fairly scathing giant bomb first play last Friday (after my copy had already been dispatched).  I'm hoping my copy is waiting for me when I get home tonight so I can try it myself!

Yeah, it also includes the first five days after release (so up to the 30th). I'm guessing it gives you the option to download the season pass once the license is on the console but the in-game store option wasn't active yet the last time I checked. There's no code with the physical version so I don't see how else they could be doing it.

• Upvote 1

Haven't managed to play much as yet, save for just going through everyone's move list on Saturday. Sticking with my plan of trying to learn the basics with Genjuro but I fancy switching to Wu-Ruixiang at some point later on, she's got so much character to all her animations and her super is fantastic.

A couple of things that might be useful:

I liked this guy's DBFZ tutorials so I'm glad he seems to be getting into this too.

A handy character primer I came across on Reddit.

• Upvote 4

I had a quick play of this last night. I went through the tutorial, then played through arcade/story mode on the default difficulty with both Haohmaru and Darli Dagger though I wasn't quite able to beat the boss with either.

It seems to play fine from the brief time I spent with it though I'm not convinced  it feels quite as 'snappy' as Samurai Shodown 2.  Only being able to use the super powerful moves once per match is quite interesting too as I was finding myself saving then for the next round based on how well I was doing.  I need to work on practicing the timing for disarming and "just defending" a bit better as I was screwing that up quite a bit.  

I like the presentation though wish it was 2D, the characters look fine but the backgrounds while stylistically nice look a bit dated/primitive and could look a lot better with a bit more geometry.  It feels very Japanese and "importy" with no English audio and lots of Japanese characters on the screen but that's fitting for the game  and the music's generally good.  The loading times between matches do feel too long and I was disappointed that it didn't appear that all the characters had a unique background, fighting Earthquake in front of mount Fuji instead of an American desert felt a bit weird.

1 minute ago, Dave White said:

Oh no. How bad is the loading? Is it Neo Geo Cd monkey juggling bad?

I've not used a Neo Geo CD but from what I've read I don't think it's quite that bad and I'm probably just highlighting something that's a bit of a first world problem.

For reference I find the loading times of Street Fighter 5 (on a standard PS4) a bit too long too...maybe it's an Unreal Engine thing?

On the plus side you do get an animated icon of a running rabbit with a sign rather than a juggling monkey while it's loading and an even better icon of a frog sheltering from rain under a leaf while the game saves!

They feel pretty standard for me in modern fighting game terms. Too long for those of us who grew up playing arcade stuff but not really unusual.

Anyone else finding the super input a little bit finicky? It seems like you have to do it fairly slowly, at speed I get a DP every time even though the inputs look spot on.

I've not bought this yet (though I'm tempted to pick it up anyway) and the one thing nudging me to do so is the fact the season pass is free for the first five days only. However, I've noticed the DLC (but not the game) is available on the playstation store and I've managed to purchase it without having the game. Surely that means I've got the DLC and can buy the game at a much later date and the DLC will be available to me. Maybe? I dunno, just figured I'd shared in case it is a cheeky workaround/exploit for those on a tight budget. 

1 hour ago, ghosted said:

I've not bought this yet (though I'm tempted to pick it up anyway) and the one thing nudging me to do so is the fact the season pass is free for the first five days only. However, I've noticed the DLC (but not the game) is available on the playstation store and I've managed to purchase it without having the game. Surely that means I've got the DLC and can buy the game at a much later date and the DLC will be available to me. Maybe? I dunno, just figured I'd shared in case it is a cheeky workaround/exploit for those on a tight budget. 

I've just bought the "free" season past too, I think you have found an exploit or they always planned to have the season pass free for 5 days as their way of implementing the offer but haven't publicised it  to stop people doing exactly what you've done! I purchased the game at release due to the free season pass and would have waited a while too if I'd known this! ;)

I can't see the same pack on Xbox though, only on PS4?

Impulse bought it (from Game, ugh). I've spent tons of hours just trying and failing on SFV combo challenges and enjoyed a few online games but mostly got destroyed without getting a hit in. I've been enjoying the idea of this being more about hard reads and less about learning humongous combos so they can have my cash. Fingers crossed I'm not completely bobbins at this also.

Update: Just played a few hours and... I'm absolutely bobbins. Won a single match (out of about 30ish) but enjoyed myself for the most part as the hits feels really crunchy and satisfying.

• Upvote 2

Only had a quick dabble with each character and familiarised myself with the mechanics so far. It looks and feels fantastic. I wish Dimps had done SFV as well as they are so good at getting the feel of these games right. The hit stop, the weight of the characters, the impact sparks, it's all so solid and satisfying. Loving all the effects on the specials and supers as well. I do love a good sparkly projectile. Yoshitora's stuff with the seven shimmering swords and the flowers all looks lovely. 

I worry about the game's future because the trend in fighting games this generation is a move away from slow, patient neutral. Also because it's an incredibly niche series in a niche genre that has more titles vying for players than ever before. I can see the Twitch-viewing masses writing off the game as boring because it doesn't have enough flashy combos in it. It's made for dedicated to players to play rather than for casual players to watch, whereas most other modern fighting games seem to want to be both or skew towards the latter. It's a shame as I personally love dry as hell chess-style fighting and would like to believe there's a still a place for it in fighting games alongside the more crazy stuff. Hopefully it'll at least do well in the East like KOF so I'll still have plenty of stuff to watch. 

From my initial dabbling I am shocked at how much I like TamTam. He has always been one of the least appealing SamSho characters to me but he has a standing medium slash that goes half screen and his zoning looks annoying as hell. Also I loooove that his command grab has the same start up animation as his fireball. Such shenanigans. 

Also quite like Charlotte as she has a slight touch of SF4 Rose about her with a very strong mid-range game and a fireball that's best used at full screen. Also it's an enormous fireball that you can hold onto to mess with people's jump timing. I also like that her standing heavy can be used as both a poke and an anti-air depending on timing. Think it'll be nice to have a reliable go-to option when I'm still learning what's what. Again it's similar to Rose where she has a very reliable anti-air normal but also a DP input option if you were more prepared for the jump. In contrast to Rose she has one of the lowest jump arcs in the game and it makes me feel more at home as someone who still plays a lot of SF4 with a side of KOF. Lot of characters in this game have extremely high and floaty jumps, which makes sense as it's a game with a huge emphasis on the ground game. Her cross up jumping heavy slash looks naaasty though and I want to hit people with it. 

Haven't ventured online yet but will be playing with my local fighting game pals this evening. I'm hearing bad things about the lobby functionality but the netcode reports haven't been too bad. It is SNK so we shall see... 

• Upvote 3

Got mine.  Game, CD, art book and sticker in a nice AES style box.

Oddly, the CD doesn't fit in the box.  It came outside it.

F0036F6C-2CD3-4622-8C43-06637CB06DB5.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Haven't ventured online yet but will be playing with my local fighting game pals this evening. I'm hearing bad things about the lobby functionality but the netcode reports haven't been too bad. It is SNK so we shall see...

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the casual matches/lobbies. That's bound to be patched soon. I had a few matches last night and they played pretty well, aside from some slowdown right as the matches started, possibly while it was getting the delay sorted out? What's interesting is that V Special got a surprise patch a few weeks back that switched the netcode from input delay to rollback.. I wonder if they were using that as a test run with a view to patching it in here at some point? Either that or they felt they had to use it on the V Special PC release since Fightcade is an option there, then decided to give parity to the PS4 version.

Turns out jumping straight into ranked isn't a great idea when you add character/system unfamiliarity on top of my usual 'execution goes out the window as soon as I'm in an actual match' thing :lol:. Everyone I played was clearly hot garbage and I've still got about a 20% win rate. About two-thirds of the matches were Genjuro mirrors with both players whiffing DPs all over the place and clearly trying out every input on the fly in a bid to eventually hit on the move we actually wanted but it was still really good fun. If that's representative of many people are going to be playing him though I might have to make an early switch so it doesn't get too boring.

• Upvote 1

Ha, Genjuro is totally the Iori/Evil Ryu xxxPhoenixShadow666xxx character of choice for this game so I'm not surprised he's everywhere online. I like him though. 

I was quite keen on Ukiyo for a bit as well. Cancelling things into apple toss feints looks really fun. Sadly he has already been claimed by one of my local scene pals and we always try to avoid doubling up for games where there'll be so few of us playing. 

Think it's going to be Charlotte with a side-line in TamTam. Honourable mention to Kyoshiro. I really like his standing jab and he can make a frog eat people. Seems legit to me. 

• Upvote 1

I liked messing with Tam Tam as well, when I fancy switching to a more zoney type it's going to be Wu-Ruixiang though. I'd pretty much decided that anyway but now I've noticed she loses her glasses when disarmed and looks around for them helplessly on the floor it's become a DEFINITE. Bless her.

Having played a little bit I'm not convinced Genjuro is a great beginner choice anyway - the amount of options he has makes it difficult not to just throw stuff out, YOLO Brazilian wi-fi Ken style. I'm thinking Jubei might be a more considered choice since he'd kind of force a slower tempo and encourage really getting to grips with the defensive side of things.

Yeah Wu is amazing, tonnes of personality in everything she does. Long term would like to try her as well as I love trap zoners. She's going to make people so mad.

I tried my hand and the big-boy earthquake and quite enjoyed it because his Heavy Slash attacks carve huge chunks out of flesh and the timespace continuum. I mostly just get mauled up close though. I've also been drawn to the obscene range and blanka-esque animalism of TamTam and I'm also tempted by the maximum risk reads of Jubei with his counters. On that note, all those character have a special that is activated with Fwd and mashing an attack (like hundred-hand slap). However I can't seem to figure out the exact mashing requirements so sometimes they come out within two or three presses and others I get nothing. Is it a rhythm or timing thing? Do I need to hold forward or mash that too perhaps? Alternating buttons seems to be valid but that sometimes causes grabs etc. On top of that, I don't think you can link/combo into them so I'm not sure how you're supposed to use them. Anybody any the wiser on these move types?