IGNORED

Samurai Spirits/Shodown - 2019

joffocakes

Just announced earlier today, due 2019. It's a TGS announcement so I guess it'll still be Samurai Shodown in the West?

I'm not too familiar with the series but here are the characters spotted in the trailer from ResetEra poster "osnameless".

Haohmaru
Jubei Yagyu
Nakoruru
Earthquake
Galford
Ukyo

Excited for this, based on what little I've played of the older entries I'm hoping this fills that 'heavily fundamentals/footsies based game that actually has something resembling a decent player base' void that various games have aimed at lately (Rising Thunder, Fantasy Strike, Pocket Rumble) without any of them really taking off.

After KoF XIV the art style is nicer than I was expecting too. A bit SFIV but it suits the setting.

My boy Galford is in there so thats a sell for me. 

Looks really really nice in that style i'm impressed, i also like the way they didn't name a single character in that trailer too showing that maybe they are pushing to help please the existing fan base more than just the new players. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

A new trailer was released to coincide with the announcement that the game will be part of the main EVO2019 line-up. It's out early this summer:

That looks absolutely superb.

I haven't played a 'new' fighting game since realising SF4 wasn't for me (I know! It's a very well put together game!)...but this does look very promising.

Wow it looks sensational. I remember being fascinated by Samurai Shodown as a youngster and trying to play Galford but not having the foggiest idea what I was doing. Since I learned to play fighting games properly I've had a go at learning almost every other series but am still clueless at SamSho. Guess it's time to fix that. Also makes me very excited for KOF XV.

SamSho was the only SNK fighting series I really couldn't get into (I much preferred the faster Last Blade games) but that looks tremendously good, what an improvement from KoF. I'm really hoping SNK have a hit on their hands, the fact it's appearing at Evo this year is a great start.

Shodown II is one of my favourite games of all time - big SNK guy, I went to their Tokyo popup recently!

Going by what I've read on this new trailer, I'm in day 1 for the new game. Don't want to see the trailer as don't want to spoil the experience!

Please be good.

They really look to have their act together for this, I just hope that extends to the online for a change. Get it right and they should see a nice knock-on effect for the next KOF.

I like that they haven't numbered it and think KOF would probably benefit from the same treatment next time around. I'd be surprised if there aren't a fair few people out there who see a big number at the end of a fighting game's name and just think 'Nah, fuck that.'

• 4 weeks later...