Turn your PS-Vita / PSTV into a fantastic emulation machine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, sith said:

I have an old Vita running on 3.50, 8GB Vita memory card. What simple guide should I use for emulation? Snes is the main priority!

Thanks.

I think you can still use the method in the opening post with that firmware. In which case, it's ludicriously easy. :)

As for emulation, I would also like to know if SNES is viable on Vita. I've heard it's a bit hit-and-miss with some games. I've got Retroarch but I find it so confusing and hard to use.

• 2 months later...

I've had @Watusi's PSTV for the last year or two and finally got a little time (tonight!) to hack it. This is prompted by the discovery my old Sony 32" HDTV won't run PS1 games on disc via PS2. I need to play R-Type Delta.

I've got 3.67. Can anyone confirm if I can use HENKaku? Or do I need to use the more complicated sounding h-encore?

Thanks all, as always.

10 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

I've had @Watusi's PSTV for the last year or two and finally got a little time (tonight!) to hack it. This is prompted by the discovery my old Sony 32" HDTV won't run PS1 games on disc via PS2. I need to play R-Type Delta.

I've got 3.67. Can anyone confirm if I can use HENKaku? Or do I need to use the more complicated sounding h-encore?

Thanks all, as always.

h-encore, yes. This site takes you through things in a very simple step-by-step format: https://vita.hacks.guide/

Hi everyone.

I've just picked up a second hand Vita to replace one I left on the train a couple of years ago (RIP - still hurts me thinking about it!).  It should arrive tomorrow and apparently hasn't been used for a couple of years so should be on old firmware as I asked them not to update it.

I'm interested in CFW, mainly so I can use an SD card adapter rather than paying the crazy prices for official memory cards.

Before going down this path, I just wondered what my options are (if any) with my existing game library and cloud saves.  I'm guessing that once there is CFW installed I will no longer be able to connect to PSN and download my existing games or cloud saves?  Would it be possible to update to the latest official FW and download what I need, then downgrade and install CFW?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, stustap said:

Before going down this path, I just wondered what my options are (if any) with my existing game library and cloud saves.  I'm guessing that once there is CFW installed I will no longer be able to connect to PSN and download my existing games or cloud saves?  Would it be possible to update to the latest official FW and download what I need, then downgrade and install CFW?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check the site I linked in the post above, I think it covers this. From memory (may be wrong), you can pretty much continue as normal even with CFW now.

13 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

h-encore, yes. This site takes you through things in a very simple step-by-step format: https://vita.hacks.guide/

I fall foul of that guide at the point of connecting to the PC.

Without content assistant running the vita never sees the PC.

With it running still H-encode never gets past "Waiting for connection to PS Vita".

Right for me the sequence is wrong.  You do need Qcma and you have to start it first and connect the PSVita BEFORE you start Finalhe.

Then you have to close content manager on the vita and start it again and connect.

I assume this is my PC for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Had to dig out my PSTV and remod it, and have changed the OP with the new method.  So quick, so easy and the Vita really becomes a force to be reckoned with once modded, whether that's in your pocket or on the TV. 

Also to add to the info from older replies, the PSP and PS-Vita hardware are substantially different to each other,  but the Vita contains the hardware for both consoles .  So for example, you might find the PSP is more suited to Gameboy Advance emulation than the Vita, where the Vita does SNES better than the PSP.  But because the modded Vita has perfect PSP emulation you're better off running an emulator made for PSP on your Vita sometimes. 

(which is all a bit Inception - I'm playing Metroid Fusion on a Gameboy Advance emulator that was made for the PSP which is running on the Vita.)

Also there a substantially better N64 emulator for the Vita that just came out.  Still not perfect but a hell of an achievement.  

Updated the OP to reflect the current mod process that now works on all Vitas.

Anyone know how to play Vita Ridge Racer on PSTV?  I'm sure I did this in the past using the whitelister app  but the game uses the touchscreen on the "press start" screen and I can't see how to continue. Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought I'd done it before.

23 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Anyone know how to play Vita Ridge Racer on PSTV?  I'm sure I did this in the past using the whitelister app  but the game uses the touchscreen on the "press start" screen and I can't see how to continue. Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought I'd done it before.

You might need to find a patched version that uses buttons. 

Ah. You have to turn it on in the PSTV settings.  Once you have the touch screen turned on,  R3 brings up a pointer. 

Forgot what a disappointment this game was.  Online racing on a console very few people bought  or one on one racing against ghosts.  That's it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2018 at 14:41, David Kenny said:

I thought PSP GBA emulation was pretty much perfect. Are there issues?

Perfect apart from some truly horrid screen tearing, it seems. Doesn't bother me much, especially since everything else runs smoothly, but it's super noticeable.

On 26/06/2020 at 10:44, Vimster said:

Yeah I use MasterBoy on PSP for GameBoy emulation and after having a look around it's still the best bet. Bit of a faff having to run Adrenaline to get at it but still plays really well. 

There's a method to place a bubble on your Vita live screen, so you can go straight to the PSP game without loading Adrenaline first.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me. Im trying to run psp games on my vitaTV but for some reason it just doesnt see the directory. Included are two pics, one from vita shell and the other from adrenaline. I'm hoping its just a dir error

i'm using and SD2vita for all this

20200920_203441.jpg

20200920_203543.jpg

On 20/09/2020 at 21:30, bwi said:

Can anyone help me. Im trying to run psp games on my vitaTV but for some reason it just doesnt see the directory. Included are two pics, one from vita shell and the other from adrenaline. I'm hoping its just a dir error

i'm using and SD2vita for all this

20200920_203441.jpg

20200920_203543.jpg

The name of the ISO folder on mine is captialised so maybe thats it. It should be:

pspemu/ISO

not 

pspemu/iso

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2018 at 15:55, dumpster said:

Yes, if you have custom firmware on the Psp, and it's dead easy.

Press the SELECT button.

A menu titled VSH menu will appear.

Go to USB device and choose UMD.

Connect to the computer with USB cable.

Open your usual PSP folder in 'My Computer'. You should see a ISO file titled 'UMD9660'

Drag it to your PC then copy it to the Vita in the UX0:pspemu\iso folder (make your you previously installed Adrenaline (the PSP emulator) of course

A belated thanks for this! 

I'm only now, two years later, getting around to actually doing something about it. Pleasantly surprised to find my PSP was still on an old custom firmware, and even more pleasantly surprised that the menu was present on that rather than being a later addition. So I'm now in the process of ripping all my UMDs.

Okeydoke, been through the Vita hacking process and have 3.60 with Enso on the machine, and a 128 GB card using SD2Vita, and all seems fine - except I can't restore my legally bought PS1 and PSP games that I'd backed up using the content manager (using QCMA). Full Vita titles copy without any problems, but the PS1 and PSP games give me a "this file is corrupted" error.

If I redownload the game from PSN, that download works fine, including when transferred to and from the PC via QCMA, so it's the existing backups that are being a pain.

I've 26 PS1 games and 4 PSP titles to transfer. A redownload isn't the end of the world if that's what needs to happen, but is there anything simpler I can do?

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Okeydoke, been through the Vita hacking process and have 3.60 with Enso on the machine, and a 128 GB card using SD2Vita, and all seems fine - except I can't restore my legally bought PS1 and PSP games that I'd backed up using the content manager (using QCMA). Full Vita titles copy without any problems, but the PS1 and PSP games give me a "this file is corrupted" error.

If I redownload the game from PSN, that download works fine, including when transferred to and from the PC via QCMA, so it's the existing backups that are being a pain.

I've 26 PS1 games and 4 PSP titles to transfer. A redownload isn't the end of the world if that's what needs to happen, but is there anything simpler I can do?

I don't know why you're getting the error, but redownloading should be simpler than most options (you can use PKG-J to pretty much download anything if PSN doesn't wprk for you).

I've never used QCMA though, because with a modded Vita you can copy files by FTP or USB and your PS1 and PSP games are surely just ISO files you can drag and drop?  As far as I remember you can do the full Vita mod on a 3.60 and won't have to use QCMA at all. If you are talking "legally bought games" as in "you only have the disks", can you not just make ISO files from PS1 CDs on your PC, and make PSP ISOs from your UMDs on the PSP?  Or even, just google for the isos because you already own the games?  I'm thinking out loud there, but I don't see why QCMA is coming into the equation in the first place.

These are all copies of the legit Vita-compatible PSP/PS1 games I'd previously backed up to my PC using the Content Manager, as I figured with Sony revamping their web front end to remove the games, it'd be a good idea to keep a backup for when they inevitably decide to pull support altogether. That was all done with a stock Vita.

So that explains their existence, the reason I wanted to use it is it's a lot faster than redownloading the games via PSN. And unfortunately, they're not backed up as simple EBOOTs to drop in via FTP or USB, the content manager seems to wrap them up in some format that doesn't mirror what you see in ux0 for installed games. 

My current theory is that NoNpDrm is working to allow the native Vita games to be copied over without tripping over their rights management. It's possible the change in memory card (the games were originally downloaded to an 8 GB Sony stick) is enough to annoy the DRM, and NoNpDrm doesn't affect PSP/PS1 games, so the transfer is failing. I hadn't yet installed Adrenaline so it's possible that fixes the issue, but it never occurred to me at the time - I was just testing I could still play what I actually had, then got irked that I couldn't.

I've kicked off the downloads anyway and as I'm done for the evening, it's no longer really a problem, just a curiosity now.