rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your PS-Vita / PSTV into a fantastic emulation machine.

@Sprite Machine Retroarch does Master System very well as far as I know (never owned one but it plays Shinobi GG which is all I wanted )

New firmware is out today from Sony, 3.69, should definitely be avoided. Don't allow the console to auto update, see settings. Spoof your firmware to 3.69 in settings.

My install is buggered. My own fault! I messed around with config files. A reinstall didn't help, so next will be to scrub the memory card. Not hopeful though, as I'm assuming the firmware was flashed? 

I'm selling my Vita (3.68 with H-Encore) to another forumite. I want to wipe my PSN details from it but make sure he can still access the H-Encore stuff. If I factory reset, will it bugger things up for him? Or can he just follow the guide to install again?

Or is it possible to just sign out of PSN on my end and he can sign in using his? (Obviously all my official games would stop working, just the H-Encore stuff wanting to keep)

22 hours ago, bradigor said:

I'm selling my Vita (3.68 with H-Encore) to another forumite. I want to wipe my PSN details from it but make sure he can still access the H-Encore stuff. If I factory reset, will it bugger things up for him? Or can he just follow the guide to install again?

Or is it possible to just sign out of PSN on my end and he can sign in using his? (Obviously all my official games would stop working, just the H-Encore stuff wanting to keep)

Hmm googling around seems to suggest that changing PSN accounts means needing a different Vita memory card for each PSN log in.

On a hacked PsVita you could maybe create a new psn account and use this to switch to it and then remove your own account?

https://hackinformer.com/2017/06/22/account-manager-balatazar4-easily-switch-psn-accounts-vita/

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

So if you have a hacked Vita is it wise to not use your normal PSN account?

I use my hacked Vita online and don't have any issues, but you can't download your purchases from PSN, which is crazy.  However, you can download them using the app PKGJ, which is surely legal if you're downloading the games you paid for.

2 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Wait, a hacked Vita can't download legit purchases from the store? I thought the hack was basically a 'sideload' of sorts, and wouldn't affect that? :huh:

When I was using hacked Vita stuff it was a temporary thing that got removed once the handheld was powered off; however, it relied on not installing official firmware updates, and I think if you go online to use the store it checks for updates.

I've got h-encore, which (like henkaku before it) has to be re-run every time you power on from a full shutdown. And I've got got firmware spoofing turned on, so I should be able to connect to PSN.

But if I still can't actually download my legit purchases then that puts me at an unfortunate crossroads: I either lose the advantages of an unlocked system, or I get pushed further away from legit purchases.

I don't particularly want to go seeking out hacked versions of games I already own, tempting me with ones that I don't. If true, I feel this is shortsighted on Sony's part.

4 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I've got h-encore, which (like henkaku before it) has to be re-run every time you power on from a full shutdown. And I've got got firmware spoofing turned on, so I should be able to connect to PSN.

But if I still can't actually download my legit purchases then that puts me at an unfortunate crossroads: I either lose the advantages of an unlocked system, or I get pushed further away from legit purchases.

I don't particularly want to go seeking out hacked versions of games I already own, tempting me with ones that I don't. If true, I feel this is shortsighted on Sony's part.

As far as I know, if you use h-encore or henkaku then you can download your games from PSN as long as you have fully powered down first , clearing the hack from memory.  If you use Enzo, you have a permanent mod so you can't download from PSN, but you can use PGKJ to get your downloads. I can see how it would be against the law to download games from PSN using PKGJ as long as you already previously paid for them.

Lots of people taking advantage of the community by offering software with roms on via a cloud server. 

Piretrogaming in particular. £160 for an android box with access to a frontend. Sorta missing the point, its like the hacked Amstrad sky box cards all over again. 

After only being interested in my hacked Vita playing unavailable PSP games (Outrun C2C, RR2 etc) I caught a video about HomeBrew Browser, wow! Fabulous little repository. Chock full of interesting stuff and a piece of cake to install things. Just trying out AM2R. Wish I'd checked yesterday before blowing £40 on an 8bitdo SF30 and xtander clip for my phone. Oh well suppose my S9 will play F-Zero X and Wave Race 64 better. HBB Highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

On 21/09/2018 at 15:02, amc said:

After only being interested in my hacked Vita playing unavailable PSP games (Outrun C2C, RR2 etc) I caught a video about HomeBrew Browser, wow! Fabulous little repository. Chock full of interesting stuff and a piece of cake to install things. Just trying out AM2R. Wish I'd checked yesterday before blowing £40 on an 8bitdo SF30 and xtander clip for my phone. Oh well suppose my S9 will play F-Zero X and Wave Race 64 better. HBB Highly recommended.

It's such a shame that the guy who ported AM2R to the Vita didn't update to the newer versions. I still maintain it's one of the best games on the Vita, but it's not completable, and crashes more and more frequently the longer you play. I believe the Gamemaker Studio software requires Sony approved compilers to write for Vita and the community doesn't seem to have access to them because the latest version is bug fixed, wonderful and available on just about every platform apart from Vita, which is a machine it is perfectly suited for. (unless there is a newer version but I haven't seen it)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, amc said:

That's a shame. I've only spent ten minutes with it then jumped to messing with GBA emulation haha. Suppose it's one to play on PC.

There's a save file someone made by exploiting a glitch to get out of the ice boss room. You can play the game as normal, collect as much as you can then when you get to the Ice Boss just load his save file and carry on.  Such a shame that the latest versions don't make it to Vita, it's such a good game.

• Upvote 1

I've given up on this and updated to firmware 3.69.

The idea of using the Vita as a retro machine is really compelling, but I am disappointed at how much it comes up short in reality. A large part of it for me is the fact that it's such a hassle, especially because I’m on a Mac, and I can’t help but compare the way the Vita has been hacked to the relatively painless way I did it with the PSP. Sure, in hacking terms the PSP hack is an exception in many ways, as it seemed as if Sony was on the back foot from the very beginning when people started looking around. Given how much people were working on it as well, the PSP experience is naturally much more polished. Still, hacking the Vita is really a hassle, and the fact that you can't download the games you've bought on the PSN store a significant deterrent.

What's more is that if you do decide to dive in and use the Vita just for emulators and homebrew, everything feels very unpolished and incomplete. You might say that it's still early days, and that people are working on it, but I have to wonder. The talk earlier about AM2R is basically the Vita homebrew situation in a nutshell. The Vita was simply not that popular, and it seems hard to work with; even though it's still early days, the Switch has so much more promise. 

So what I have is a great handheld with a great screen... And that's it. I'll finish all the Vita games I have/download everything to one memory card, see the Vita through its last Christmas, and keep an eye on the scene for the next year or so. But I'm not holding my breath. 

I don't really see there being any reason to do the update, do any games require it? I don't think it brings any new feature set. I just have my 3.68 easily spoofed to 3.69 and can play all my PS+ and PSN purchases, connect to PSN etc. 3.69 doesn't seem to be in anyway beneficial or indeed needed atm.

Well, now I feel like an idiot. I should have been more thorough, and it was a rash decision which I regret now. According to theflow’s twitter, the patch was applied correctly, but the bugs that led to the exploits have not been fixed. So I guess there’s still hope someone will be able to hack 3.69.

I hope that by then things have progressed. The hacked Vita experience was disappointing.

1 hour ago, tbb said:

Why isn't there such a thing as an SD card full of Vita games on eBay? You can get them for Wii etc.

I'm led to believe there are certain ways to easily get games on there right from the Vita itself. Obviously I don't know about this at all, guv.

Theres an app called PKGJ which gives the facility to download any vita game directly to the Vita, so that probably would mean a eBay SD card full of games would be in less demand.  Ive used it to download the games I legally own because you can't download them from PSN after modding, and I guess that's legal as you paid for the licence to play the game.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a PS Vita and apparently somebody clever has created a memory adapter for it, much like the PSP one. Is there any specific good SD2Vita adapters that are recommended? as eBay is flooded with loads of them, some a bit too cheap to be believable.