Turn your Wii-U into a fantastic emulation machine

On 13/09/2020 at 10:49, Camel said:

Poking around it looks like i first need to follow the guide at wiiu.hacks.guide. Are people generally just installing haxchi? When it talks about relaunching each time you turn the console on, how long/how much of a faff is that?

Then it seems I need Disc2App to create images from my discs. Finally, I think I need WUP installer. Do I need to do anything to a new HDD? Presumably there's a way of having the Wii-U format/configure it?

You don't need to run the hack once a game is installed to the hard drive. 

I only run Haxchi when I need to rip and install a new Wii U game. Then the Wii U thinks it is a game downloaded and installed from the eshop. It even installs the DLC you've bought when you boot the Wii U without starting Haxchi. 

You only need to run the hack when you want to run homebrew, emulators and GameCube games. 

2 hours ago, Barnard said:

You don't need to run the hack once a game is installed to the hard drive. 

I only run Haxchi when I need to rip and install a new Wii U game. Then the Wii U thinks it is a game downloaded and installed from the eshop. It even installs the DLC you've bought when you boot the Wii U without starting Haxchi. 

You only need to run the hack when you want to run homebrew, emulators and GameCube games. 

Amazing. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Barnard said:

Haxchi is probably best set to NOT auto load when you boot up a Wii U. 

You don't want to accidently go online with it enabled and get your Nintendo account flagged as dodgy. 

Can you avoid that though. I mean, don't you have to be online to hack the thing in the first place?

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Can you avoid that though. I mean, don't you have to be online to hack the thing in the first place?

It's.just a precaution incase you're using certain multiplayer game hacks or sampling DLC from the high seas. 

I think games like Smash are hard coded to check your DLC purchases against the store. 

12 hours ago, roobarb said:

So I shouldn't try online multiplayer Mario kart with my my mate then? I've just setup his hacked Wii U, we were going to give it a go :unsure:

If you haven't downloaded pirated DLC or modded the game it will be fine. 

I've installed my Mario kart to the hard drive and played online many times with my paid for DLC. 

You should be fine. 

Don't load Haxchi if your going online 

So I got round to doing this. It's pleasantly mostly straightforward. I've installed Haxchi without the cold boot and I've ripped my first game to the hard drive using Disc2App and WUP Installer. One question: is it safe to allow updates to be applied to any games installed in that way?

Reading up on Wii and GameCube games, is it true to say I that the Wii is still the better option for those? For me, it would mean I could rip my GC games (I think you can do that right?) rather than risking downloading them on my work computer and I can plug my GC controllers and memory cards in. Thoughts?

Actually here's another question: Disc2App gives you the option of dumping a disc game onto external USB device rather than SD card. One you've installed your dumped game, how would you delete the dumped file from the HDD? As I understand it, an exernal HDD formatted by the Wii-U isn't readable by a PC.

Amazing thanks. 

I tried to dump to USB and it just hung. Then I remembered I hadn't connected my drive with a Y cable :doh:

Then it turns out I ordered the wrong type of Y cable :doh: :doh:

What a div. Guess I'll continue once I've got the proper Y cable rather than risk buggering it all up.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Actually here's another question: Disc2App gives you the option of dumping a disc game onto external USB device rather than SD card. One you've installed your dumped game, how would you delete the dumped file from the HDD? As I understand it, an exernal HDD formatted by the Wii-U isn't readable by a PC.

The game you install to the hard drive is indistinguishable from a game that Wii U installs itself from the eshop. In fact, it thinks it's a disc (just faster) It applies the system key/ticket to the game as it installs across to the drive. 

You can just pop onto the eshop and update. !Without Haxchi started!

My Zelda DLC was already installed on the USB - the rip that I installed to the USB picked it up straight away 

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-disc2app-dump-installable-app-files-from-wiiu-game-disc.460668/page-2#post-7158172