Turn your Wii-U into a fantastic emulation machine

40 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Yeh it's shit. Also theree will come a time when you can't get them anymore so the whole console will be rendered useless

It'll be prime for a third party model by that point in time, by whoever's the Hyperkin of the day. 

As an aside, I reckon the Gamepad is amazingly comfy! That little ridge on the back is something the crampy Switch sorely misses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm thinking of picking up a secondhand Wii-U to do this.

Should I be looking at only the black 32GB model or doesn't it matter? Also is it important to get a pro controller as well? Note: I already have loads of GameCube and Wii controllers..

10 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

A modded Wii U is an amazing thing. Basically all of Nintendo’s best games from NES all the way through to Wii U on one machine. 

Most of their best Switch games too ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a Wii U! Setup the hack last night using brain training to add HB launcher to home screen. Installed disk2app to install pikmin3 to usb. What do I need to do now to be able to play it from usb? Do I need wup installer?

Also is there some way of copying directly from a PC to the usb as with the old Wii loaders?

EDIT: Got the ripped game files installing to system memory using Wup Installer, then moving files to USB drive.

EDIT2: Everything working from the same HDD now, including downloaded WiiU, Wii and GC titles. USB helper, utik downloader and TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector have been brilliant.

This is currently my favourite console and definitely the most played ^_^

Emulation next I reckon..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up a Wii U to play breath of the wild and suddenly had a hankering to play some gamecube games as well

I understand that a U will spit out gamecube discs, and that i need to rip them onto an SD Card so that i can use nintendont to play them

I have a question, what is the largest format SD card i can use if i want to rip about 10 GC games? 

I bit the bullet and modded my WiiU this week. Really couldn’t have been easier!

For GameCube games I used WiiUSBHelper to patch my ISOs so they appear as Virtual Console titles on my main screen. Absolutely magic! I’ve not tried MAME yet... will it manage Cave titles?!

I've just modded mine as well.  I had a couple of instances of the SD card not being recognised but taking it out and plugging it in again sorted it.   I'm currently trying to download a 64GB RetroArch build to stick on the USB hard drive. 

I’ve got the RetroArch files downloaded so will soon have over 11,000 games across 55 systems on my Wii U, most of which I will never play :lol:

Does anyone know if I can copy it all to the usb hard drive I have connected, or will the roms, overlays etc have to live on the SD card?  

If anyone is interested, this is what I’m installing.  You have to join the Wii / Wii U Mooders Facebook group to get the password for the download.

https://www.arcadepunks.com/wii-u-retro-gaming-pack-for-modified-wii-u-from-crazymac/

On 22/08/2020 at 15:55, Mr Monday said:

I’ve got the RetroArch files downloaded so will soon have over 11,000 games across 55 systems on my Wii U, most of which I will never play :lol:

Does anyone know if I can copy it all to the usb hard drive I have connected, or will the roms, overlays etc have to live on the SD card?  

If anyone is interested, this is what I’m installing.  You have to join the Wii / Wii U Mooders Facebook group to get the password for the download.

https://www.arcadepunks.com/wii-u-retro-gaming-pack-for-modified-wii-u-from-crazymac/

Looks like a lot of fun, i cant answer your question but let me know how you get on! 

On 19/08/2020 at 19:08, sir podger said:

I just picked up a Wii U to play breath of the wild and suddenly had a hankering to play some gamecube games as well

I understand that a U will spit out gamecube discs, and that i need to rip them onto an SD Card so that i can use nintendont to play them

I have a question, what is the largest format SD card i can use if i want to rip about 10 GC games? 

Wii games top out at 1.46Gb per disc. If you look into nkit ISO’s then you save best part of half that on average. 

for example Animal Crossing is 28MB as nkit. Whereas Fzero GX is still over 1GB. 

On 24/08/2020 at 18:24, Mr Monday said:

I’ve been playing 4 player Bomberman on the PC Engine emulator with the family.  All of the controllers are detected automatically and it just works.  It’s great!

Try Gauntlet 4 Mega Drive, its so much fun - the Quest Mode. Easy-to-play Diablo-like RPG with items/upgradeable stats/multiple castles/puzzles/epic music etc. REALLY GOOD MUSIC. So addictive, seriously. Arcade Mode is also good and has completely different levels from Quest Mode, but doesnt have buyable items/stat upgrading like Quest Mode.

Theres also Dungeon Explorer for Sega CD, SNES, 1&2 for PC Engine (5player); and they're ALL DIFFERENT from each other, but all multiplayer. They are leagues harder though than Gauntlet and not as reccomended for casual play like Gauntlet is.

Battle Lode Runner is also really fun super casual 5 player game.

On 24/08/2020 at 18:24, Mr Monday said:

I’ve been playing 4 player Bomberman on the PC Engine emulator with the family.  All of the controllers are detected automatically and it just works.  It’s great!

Did you install to the HD then? Also any chance of the PW?