rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your Wii-U into a fantastic emulation machine

I wrote a thread last year about the amazing things you can do with am ordinary Wii in terms of homebrew and emulation, and the Wii quickly became my favourite console.  Megadrive, Snes, Gameboy Advance games, all running with a wireless controller. In fact, the only down side to the Wii as an emulation machine was the lack of HDMI and the the weak emulation when it came to newer formats, such as PS1.

Since then the mod process for the Wii-U has come on leaps and bounds.  You already have everything you need to do the mod. It's as simple as downloading a game from the eStore from a list of compatible titles (see the link on the YouTube video description, the cheapest is Brain Training at £6.99).  Then you visit a website using the Wii-U Browser and the mod happens. If it doesn't, just try again, it can take a few attempts. But once it's done, you can install a permanent mod.   It's all explained in the video below.

The Wii-U perfectly emulates the Wii, meaning you have access to all the great Wii homebrews well as the newer, more capable emulators that are specifically for the Wii-U.  You can even reinstate the ability to play Gamecube games that was included in the Wii, but missing from the Wii-U.

I'd love this thread to be a one stop shop for sharing your experiences of the Wii-U as a homebrew emulation station, because it's awesome - like the Wii thread from last year but with more umph to run even better.

• Upvote 6

Great thread - I'll need to check out that DS exploit as Brain Training was a giveaway title when the Virtual Console service launched (although it says you may have to redownload it). I'll give this a try over the next few days!

1 hour ago, Pavey said:

Once doing this, can a UK Wii U play US Gamecube games?

The console's got a Wii and a dedicated Wii menu in it, and 'Gecko' and the like made the Wii region free yonks ago, yeah. 

• Upvote 1

On it now - am i right in thinking i need to follow this guide as the video doesn't give away the locations fo the files you need to transer to your SD card.

Also, can i do it with a smaller SD card than 16gb?

On 04/09/2018 at 10:16, Pavey said:

On it now - am i right in thinking i need to follow this guide as the video doesn't give away the locations fo the files you need to transer to your SD card.

Also, can i do it with a smaller SD card than 16gb?

they are linked in the Youtube video description.

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

they are linked in the Youtube video description.

Thanks. I must admit i missed that, and found this guide - https://wiiu.hacks.guide/homebrew-launcher 

It does ask me to download a ton of files.

I have got as far as going to the page on the Wii-U's browser (three times now) and it kept hanging. Will try again this evening.

Keep your phone on ;)

1 minute ago, Pavey said:

Thanks. I must admit i missed that, and found this guide - https://wiiu.hacks.guide/homebrew-launcher 

It does ask me to download a ton of files.

I have got as far as going to the page on the Wii-U's browser (three times now) and it kept hanging. Will try again this evening.

Keep your phone on ;)

Yep, it took the guy on the video 8 attempts.

I did it in 6!

I then had the blue page come up as in the video, installed Haxchi which i now have on the home page, occupying the block Brain Training was previously at. When i launch it though it loads up then loops back to the home page.

I have recently got back into Wii U, initially to play DK64 again. Which lead me on a right merry chase as the pal version is terrible. I now have 3 USA machines in addition to my EU one.  I installed this hack on my EU one last weekend. Really just to play games from all regions on each machine. I am planning on working on installing the hack on all of them. Although I may also sell a couple of them. I'm not too concerned in the retro goodness as I have a pi. But I do enjoy a good tinker so if I get bored will probably try. Just because. What is everyone having most success with?

I Did this the other day. Pretty easy, I half followed a guide on gbatemp and half the link above.

banged retroarch on and modded vwii. Not much else to do really. I also installed all my disk games to a usb drive. 

Next steps is to install nintendont and work out how to inject my GameCube games as vc channels. 

One thing that bugs me is that if I store my games on an external hard drive the wii U wants it formatted one way but the vWii wants it formated differentyl.  Meaning two hard drives.  Is there a away to partition a disk so that they can both co-exist?

I'm going to attempt to get this working again today, as really fancy playing some of my forgotten about Cube games. I've read the guide on GBA temp and it mentions needing an SD card twice the size of your system memory.

Is this necessary, first time i have seen that mentioned? Did you guys use 64gb cards?

:angry:

fsopenfile failed now. Which apparently means sd card not recognised (formatted correctly).

Seems i am never to get something supposedly easy to work. Must of been a horrible person in a past life.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

@Pavey I followed the videos on YouTube by a guy called Jack Sorrell. He has a whole channel dedicated to it. If you can put up with his bollock-clenchingly irritating voice, I found the whole process incredibly simple and I’m usually terrible at this kind of thing :) 

Certainly is a simple guide, but i'm still getting the FSOpenFile failed error. I've tweeted Jack to see if he has any ideas. 

Am i right in thinking though you have to do this every time you boot?

EDIT: Have tried two different SD cards on two different Wii U's. Wonder if it is an OSX thing - maybe it's putting invisible files on the SD card that's causing it.

Anyone bored of my ramblings yet? :facepalm:

I've never done it, but I believe the mod is initially temporary, but then you install a permanent mod (see the video in the OP, he gets the system open, but then installed HackChii to make it stick.).

He also says that it takes a good load of tries to get the initial mod in, it took him 8 goes.  

4 hours ago, Pavey said:

Certainly is a simple guide, but i'm still getting the FSOpenFile failed error. I've tweeted Jack to see if he has any ideas. 

Am i right in thinking though you have to do this every time you boot?

EDIT: Have tried two different SD cards on two different Wii U's. Wonder if it is an OSX thing - maybe it's putting invisible files on the SD card that's causing it.

Anyone bored of my ramblings yet? :facepalm:

Nope 

Even following these simple step-by-step guides can end up in you going round in circles.

I still want to know why I'm getting the 160-0103 error after missing but I've never had it before.

On the Wii U system menu, when you got to System Settings/Data Management/Copy Move Delete data, should the SD card inserted show up there?

Mine only has System memory and USB Storage Device 1 & 2, but both of those are greyed out. 

On 24/02/2019 at 09:55, Pavey said:

Seems it is, but I have discovered this morning Blue Harvest, which will hopefully help. http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

Finally! Have got somewhere.

Being  a Mac user, i had to open Terminal and do this in order to format my SD card as FAT32 (there are probably easier ways):

Type: diskutil list and find out which disk is your USB drive.

Type: sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 MBRFormat /dev/disk*

Change * to the number of your SD card (mine was 4).

Then i used the Blue Harvest app on the SD card to get rid of the invisible files OSX puts on there.

Using Jack Sorrell's guide (thanks @Jazz Glands) i put the files on the SD card. However, he talks about putting the same named folders on the card as folders that are already there; i presume Windows merges them whereas OSX generally asks you if you want to overwrite the files. I had to manually merge them.

All well and good. I backed up Donkey Kong Country and it appeared on my Wii U's Home page as a digitally bought game, after i installed it to the SD card. This is where it gets a bit hazy.

Using the SD card in the Wii U downstairs i went through the same process and DKC appeared on the Home Page, as its on the card. Upon the next reboot it disappeared. When i (using the browser) go the HB App store and select disc2app, i run through that and insert the disc i want to install, but it doesn't do anything, no progress bar. Haxchi on that Wii U (when i select the icon from the Home Page) just loads then goes back to the Home screen (of the Wii U).

Questions:

Do you have to use the browser exploit very time you boot up the Wii U? On the upstairs Wii U the SD card is out, and DKC is still on the Home page.

Should the apps i choose from the HB App store be on the Wii U's Home page?

Do you need the files on the SD card in the machine all the time? On the upstairs Wii U the SD card is out, and DKC is still on the Home page.

Thanks!

I ended up installing the Mocha CFW. So when turning on the Wii U it's Load HB Launcher. Choose Mocha CFW->Load.   Then do whatever I need to do.   No browser exploit needs running repeatedly that way. 

Got a second Wii U yesterday so will have to do it all again.   Been a couple of years since I did the original 

3 hours ago, Pavey said:

So is your Mocha CFW an icon on your home screen?

No it's an entry I can load once I go into the Home Brew Launcher.   It's a bit odd but I just accepted it for what it is when i did the install a couple of years ago .

• Upvote 1