Do/did your parents game?

One of my earliest memories is watching my Dad finishing a type in game for the BBC Micro and then playing it, I must've been 3 at the time. It's also the last memory I have of him voluntarily sitting down to play a game. He bought a really good Galaga clone (Zalaga!) for the BBC at some point because I remember that being one of the first games I ever played, but I don't remember ever seeing him play it himself, he probably just got it for me and my sisters.

I got massively in to games when I was about 7 or 8 and my parents would buy my games for Christmas or my birthday for various computers we had through the years and my Dad would always bring me piles of pirated games he got from friends even though I never got anything but disapproval from either of them about the hobby. EDIT: Tell a lie, one time my Dad took me to his office after hours so I could play shareware Doom on one of the PCs there (had an Amiga at the time...!).

One Christmas in the early 2000s I bought my OG X-box home with me and set it up in the living room while my Dad was reading the paper and he was so fascinated by Halo that he called my Mum in to take a look. She wasn't impressed.

More gaming parents in here than I anticipated!

My parents were a bit weird about gaming. I have two older brothers and they're who got me into gaming, really. We weren't allowed to have a Game Boy or to own consoles, but my dad did rent a Sega Mega Drive and later also a Philips CD-I from the library where he worked and we played some on those, stuff like World of Illusion and Desert Strike. One of my earliest gaming memories is playing Snake on my dad's computer, so I guess he must've been playing that as well. And Lemmings, but at the time I couldn't figure out how that game worked at all. Then my brothers each got computers and when I was around 7 I already played a ton of Command & Conquer, Tomb Raider and the like. My parents never really restricted that, but they never joined in themselves either.

What @matt0 said reminded me of the days when I was still in kindergarden or maybe later in elementary school during the holidays, cause my dad would often take me to work with him at the library and I'd get to play on the computers there, Anno, Sim City, a sort of fairy tale game about the princess and the frog, and a puzzle game that to this day I can't remember the name of and haven't been able to find googling as it's so hard to describe. Those were some of the best days of my childhood, though, especially when he'd tell me "please play this game and tell me if I should buy it for the library", which was Freddi Fish :D 

Edit: considering Anno wasn't around until 1998 it must've been during the school holidays, then! 

My dad/mum did that thing where they pretended to play a game with their kid every now and again but that's about it. My mum would often say she doesn't understand what I get out of them because I don't win anything of value, like if a playstation had a cash dispenser that threw a fiver at you when you beat a game it would make them worthwhile or something. I should have just got into gambling or something.

What's funny now is that a lot of that generation frowned upon computers, especially in the early days of the internet. "Why do you talk to people you have not met?" , "What a waste of time!", "You shouldn't look at the screen too much" etc. Now they spend most of their days squinting at a tiny tablet and having utterly random conversations with people they don't know about dogs or food.

I lost my Mum a couple of months ago she was 79, but in the last 15 years developed a huge gaming interest, mainly popcap games like Zuma, Peggle and Bejeweled, plus loads of mahjong and solitaire on windows, before that she used to love a little go on beehive bedlam on the sky digital box.

i lost my Dad 18 years ago, he is the one who got me into gaming and computers in general, he bought an Atari 2600 and then got me a Commodore 64 when I was 4, he didn’t play much though, preferring to watch.

But when the SNES was a couple of generations old he started playing Super Bomberman and loved it, he played it every single day pretty much until he got very ill.

13 minutes ago, Capwn said:

My dad/mum did that thing where they pretended to play a game with their kid every now and again but that's about it. My mum would often say she doesn't understand what I get out of them because I don't win anything of value, like if a playstation had a cash dispenser that threw a fiver at you when you beat a game it would make them worthwhile or something. I should have just got into gambling or something.

That's reminded me. Last Christmas my brother in law brought his Switch over and we managed to convince my Mum to play a single race of Mario Kart. She got super animated, waving the pad around in front of her, swaying when she went around the corners, laughing loads. Then the race ended, she solemnly handed the pad back and said in the most reserved voice she could muster, "I just think I'd get bored of something like that immediately".

We all saw you Mum.

My dad got the rubber key 48k spectrum and played a few games with me on that. I remember this Fighter Pilot game we used to do a lot, way over my head at that age but you had to fly the very basic sim, hunt down the single enemy plane and kill it. He did all the hard bit one night and then left it paused so we could finally do the shooting down part together next morning. Then “eject” and jump off the chair with towels for parachutes. 

We got PCs later and he always had a bit of interest in some games without ever really getting hooked himself (and he never let me have the much-desired Amiga). These days he seems to play through one or two FPS a year, usually the kind of 1-2 year old stuff that goes cheap. 

That and the inevitable Wii Sports + Resort I think really, which is the only one my mum would ever try. She does crosswords and stuff so maybe I can get her into some word game apps as a gateway, try to distract her from the fucking Daily Mail. 

My mum was totally into Pac Man on the 2600. Then Ms Pac Man on the 2600. Then the C64 version.

And then Boulderdash and that was it for her. No other game came close to satisfying that itch. I've said here before as far as my mother was concerned the history of gaming ended at Boulderdash.

My Grandmother went through a stint of playing Commando on the C64 which was really strange.

No interest at all from my two. As a kid they thought my ZX81 and Atari VCS were related to the dark arts and my interest in them just another thing they didn't understand about me. 

Now I'm 47 with my own two kids and despite my best efforts they only just have a passing interest in games. I've tried everything, but they just don't seem to bite for some reason. That said, it might just be changing as out of the blue last night my eldest asked me if she could play Tomb Raider. While I was downloading the update (trying to remain indifferent to her interest in case I spooked her) I heard her and her sister arguing- over who was going to play Mario on my Switch! 

My Dad always had an interest in games when I was younger, as games have gotten more advance he’s lost interest.

My first gaming memory is playing a text based adventure on the Vic20, a memory I think of anytime I write the word ‘attack’ 

We used to take weekend trips to the library to borrow ZX Spectrum tapes too.  He got us an Amiga with a silly amount of games from a man at work too, was a cool day.

One morning he came in my room all excited and said “Your Mum said we can’t tell you yet but.... just come downstairs” 

He’d got us our first proper PC, he would play Doom on it and when he got stuck shout me in to help.

Jumping forward his more recent gaming thing was him and my Mum loving the Jackbox games, Drawful (I think?) being the family favourite.  

My Mum was never into games but since getting an iPhone and iPad loves all kinds of phone games, which is cool.

ooh and they both liked Wii Sports and the Kinect bowling. 

5 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

My dad bought the Amiga for himself and, when he could get on it, had a vast collection of public domain Boulderdash games for some reason.

My dad basically got an Amiga 500 to boast about at work. (Probably to Atari ST users, knowing him.) Flight sims were more his bag though. Never could complete the final mission on F/A18 Interceptor...

My mum nabbed my GameBoy and stayed up late playing Tetris for a fair few weeks and did get really into Mario 64 for a while, perfectly illustrating the universal appeal of Mario's charms and sublime controls in 3 dimensions. She now plays all sorts of shit on her ipad for hours and hours.

My dad never plays games. I remember him enjoying driving the wrong way around the track once in Ridge Racer, but that's about it. And yet this is also the man who bought the family a Binatone and then second hand ZX80 off one of his friends at a time when hardly anyone I knew had games systems or computers at home. My older brother must have been showing an interest, but fair play to him.

This a great thread. A most enjoyable read.

My dad had a bit of an interest a long time ago, but nothing to speak of since about the mid-80s.

He had this little space invaders clone handheld that he would play:

1e31d54e6946b43d566af09d502c84b7.thumb.jpg.e608fcf89724be4f734ad1b3e5f16953.jpg

And after that, he got my sister a Mattel Aquarius, that she barely got a look in, as he would hog it pretty much all the time.

1171326040_8113846ada4a1cae75747bd8ee4a63b1e0e94b12f0592d.jpg.f6330ef887fd2682a9d8bc3cad71df7a.jpg

I remember my mum banning him from it, as he was driving the electricity bill up, apparently. Nightstalker was his jam.

I got a Speccy in 1988, but he didn't seem particularly impressed with it, thankfully. I'd have likely not gotten much of a look in, either, had he been seduced by Last Ninja 2 and Chase HQ.

I got a 48K ZX Spectrum for Chrismas back  in '83. Mum used to work late nights at the point so my Dad used to bring it down before Xmas and we had sneeky goes on Manic Miner, PSSST and some other Ultimate games. It was amazing at the time. Think though Manic Miner was the only game he ever played - oh that and a bit of the  Hobbit. Before that the usually Ping Pong clone consoles... He never really touched games after that. Sadly he passed away a couple of years back. Mum was never into games... but remember my Grandma spending a number of hours with Tetris on a Christmas day once she loved it!

Loved gaming back in that 'era everything felt new and magical for some reason..partly my age and partly because it was all new to everyone... Inspired me to go on and learn to program and eventurally go to Uni and take a Computer Science degree...

23 hours ago, matt0 said:

We all saw you Mum.

Ha, my mum is terrible for this. Every time she's had a go at gaming she's become completely engrossed and had a great time, but if you asked her what she thinks about them she'd say they're a waste of time/don't hold her attention/don't interest her. I guess I didn't see her getting obsessed with Aladdin on the Mega Drive to the point that she actually rage quit the game following her 300th failed attempt to escape The Sultan's dungeon. She also revealed that she had bought me Sonic 3 by calling me upstairs to say she was stuck on Aladdin again and needed help. :wub:

Post Mega Drive she has done little to no gaming, which is a shame as she watches some truly abysmal TV when boredom takes hold and I think it'd be a great replacement for that. The Wii got her attention as it did with 99% of all humans, but aside from that she sadly retired after Aladdin.

Other than that, the only "grown up" in my life who played games was my older half brother. He's a good 15 years older than me and didn't really play games in his own time, but he used to delight in making myself and my friends absolutely furious with his antics when we were kids. A favourite was to start a race in Mario Kart, then if he got into first place at any point during the race (including the first lap), he would pause the game, disconnect his controller and "retire as champion". He retired as champion from so many games that I think he might be one of the greatest gamers who ever lived.

My Dad was actually the one who got me into gaming, ordering a bunch of shareware games on disk for our first 386 PC. The Commander Keen series, Duke Nukem 1-3, Wolfenstein, Secret of Monkey Island 1 & 2, Populus, Sim City etc. I remember being unimpressed with the prospect of a game about a duke, and my Dad trying to explain the name when I didn't know what a "nuke" was...in my defence, I was eight :)

Dad worked long hours, and I barely saw him during the week, but one of the few activities we'd do together on an occasional weekend was play the original Worms, or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe; the latter wasn't actually two-player, so one of us would pilot on a joystick while the other fired missiles on keyboard (and occasionally encouraged the pilot to shoot down the enemy trying to parachute to safety). After a while Dad lost interest, and with the rise of the internet I started looking there for multiplayer options instead. I'd sometimes try to get Dad excited about a new two-player game by leaving magazines with what I thought were particularly impressive screenshots on his armchair, but he'd just complain that I was leaving clutter around the house, and was adamant that I'd get a "real outdoor" hobby soon enough. He never made much time for gaming after that...though he did quietly 3-star everything in the original Angry Birds.

Mum fucking loves Words With Friends though.

I remember showing my Grandad that Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe once. He'd never shown much interest in computers but this one seemed to really capture him for a bit (he flew Lancasters in the war so I guess that's a big reason why). I showed him the basics and left him getting on with it quietly for a few hours.

It was a sunny summer's day. I was six years old and playing the garden. My father burst out of the house, 'I did it, I did it, I blew up the Deathstar!' 

'Wow!' I said, 'What happened?'

'Fireballs came out of it and destroyed my ship.' he replied, his voice laced with indignation.

It was then I realised that blowing up the Deathstar was just the beginning.