Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Trumpets

Bad bits in otherwise good games

Recommended Posts

I'm currently playing through Uncharted 4 again, and really enjoying it. It's such a beautifully put together game, the plot is fun, the performances are excellent, it's packed with amazing moments, it looks incredible etc etc etc.

 

But.

 

The section with the exploding mummies is so extraordinarily shit I can't even imagine what they were thinking putting it in there. It's not like the game needed padding out as it's already much longer than the other games in the series. Whose idea was it to add a section where mummified corpses explode as you pass them in a dingy underground cave network, either killing you instantly or else taking off a load of health, depending on how good you are with the dodge button. It is truly cack.

 

Anyway, what other good/great games have bits in them that boggle the mind with their awfulness?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stealth bit in BotW. I'll just get there first.

 

Uncharted: Lost Legacy - driving bit is awful. I bounced off it half a dozen times, uninstalled the game twice til I finally bruted through it to get to the next bit and I might even finish the bugger now.

 

The hospital bit of TLOU.

 

Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith in Dark Souls. I am down with TotG and Duke's but this copy and paste chunk is admittedly and patently a rush job.

 

The flying shit in Skyward Sword. Wonderful game in many ways but the bird bits put me off ever going back to it. Oh, and that boss you have to do three times. That was shite, too.

 

All the Ciri bits in TW3. Possibly controversial but they destroy the role playing element of the game for a period whenever they crop up.

 

The volleyball and basketball shit in ARMS. A mechanical marvel, deep as you like, and they try to crowbar some shit tier party turd.

 

The bosses in Celeste were both brilliant and shit, depending on my mental state.

 

Maybe my all-time realest post on here. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind Waker sail around like a dickhead looking for shit while having to play the stupid tune every 3 seconds to change the wind. One of the only Zelda games I vaguely enjoyed until that bit. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far Cry 5

 

1. It takes way too long from opening the game to main menu. Let me watch it first time, then let me skip it all forever more.

 

2. The opening to the game is awful, and again can't be skipped. First you're introduced to the good guys, then I get in a helicopter with the sheriff, then they land in Joseph Seed's compound. Finally I get to use my pad, but it's a horrible slow-walk to the church. Then more crap inside the church, where I finally get to press A to arrest Joseph. Then another slightly faster slow-walk to the helicopter. We take off, but all hell breaks loose and we crash. More story crap, before finally I get to press A again to escape. Oh yeah, and this can't be skipped EVER.

 

3. "You've been blessed" by Faith. This is shit as well, and again can't be skipped!

It involves a loading screen, then Faith goes on and on about gods knows what. Then I have to walk off this open book up in the sky, and fall. Slow-walk again.

Then another loading screen. FFS

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God of War.  The bit where you have to find the white flowers for the witch lady right near the beginning.  Why was that even 'gameplay'.  Why do bits like that even get put in games?  Does anyone find them engaging or fun?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robdood said:

God of War.  The bit where you have to find the white flowers for the witch lady right near the beginning.  Why was that even 'gameplay'.  Why do bits like that even get put in games?  Does anyone find them engaging or fun?

Sometimes it's nice to have a breather from death and destruction. :)

 

As for an example or two:

 

Mass Effect 1: Inventory management - DEAR. FUCKING. GOD. BIOWARE!! 

 

Mass Effect 2: All the hacking mini-games - they suck. ME2 is possibly my favourite game of all time, but those parts are gash. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The Library level in Halo, and Cortana level in Halo 3.

 

How did this take seven posts to get to?

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

The volleyball and basketball shit in ARMS. A mechanical marvel, deep as you like, and they try to crowbar some shit tier party turd.

 

That wasn’t the worst case of shit volleyball in a great Nintendo game from 2017.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Uncharted: Lost Legacy - driving bit is awful. I bounced off it half a dozen times, uninstalled the game twice til I finally bruted through it to get to the next bit and I might even finish the bugger now.

 

The hospital bit of TLOU.

:huh:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally any fucking Pipemania bit in any game ever that isn’t Pipemania.

 

in fact has there ever been a good hacking mini game ever? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

Literally any fucking Pipemania bit in any game ever that isn’t Pipemania.

 

in fact has there ever been a good hacking mini game ever? 

Paradroid.:quote:

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Forced stealth sections. It’s complete nonsense.

 

My evil run in Fable lasted just long enough to realise its stealth system was a shitshow. Stealth sections in non stealth games are rarely good.

 

The RC sections in GTA SA were horrid. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sometimes it's nice to have a breather from death and destruction. :)

 

But you have enough of those by exploring / boating / chatting with Boi. 

 

That bit was total garbage, not least because she said it was in her 'garden' which I spent 10 minutes looking around before discovering she actualyl meant round the other side of her house in a bit that looks like forest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

 

My evil run in Fable lasted just long enough to realise its stealth system was a shitshow. Stealth sections in non stealth games are rarely good.

 

The RC sections in GTA SA were horrid. 

 

Stealth in a game not built around that concept is just a complete waste of time for everyone involved.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, robdood said:

But you have enough of those by exploring / boating / chatting with Boi. 

 

That bit was total garbage, not least because she said it was in her 'garden' which I spent 10 minutes looking around before discovering she actualyl meant round the other side of her house in a bit that looks like forest. 

 

.... it’s a short section that pushes the story along and gives you an amazing vista pay off for getting to the garden. The Turtle is amazing! 

 

Jeez, tough crowd! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robdood said:

But you have enough of those by exploring / boating / chatting with Boi. 

 

That bit was total garbage, not least because she said it was in her 'garden' which I spent 10 minutes looking around before discovering she actualyl meant round the other side of her house in a bit that looks like forest. 

That's your fault for being muppet. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another call for The Flood in Halo. Really dampened the game for me overall.

 

Nibelheim in FF7. I always hated that bit. Loooong unskippable dialogue sections.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

.... it’s a short section that pushes the story along and gives you an amazing vista pay off for getting to the garden. The Turtle is amazing! 

 

Jeez, tough crowd! 

No man, you're misunderstanding me.  I loved getting to her house, it was magical!  I'm just saying the bit where she's like 'fetch a flower' literally adds nothing to the game.  If it wasn't there and was simply all a cutscene it'd be a better game for me. 

 

Ditto the vast majority of the 'puzzles' in it. 

 

It's a great game, but I do feel it's vastly overrated and any criticism of it is met with a strange reaction.  You could trim a lot of the fat and it'd be even better.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Investigation sequences in Persona 4 (Golden). After the meandering intro everything else moves along quite swiftly, but eventually you're wandering around town trying to find the right person to give you a clue that triggers the next investigation bit. It's not difficult, but it's not interesting either, and the pace suffers every time you end up having to do such a sequence.

 

Whilst I'm here, one-off minigames/objectives that overstay their welcome in Persona 5. Despite all of my ranting I still think P5 is a good game - but the emphasis on bespoke gameplay sequences that feel divorced from typical dungeon crawling has mixed results. The visual puzzles in the pyramid and the final dungeon are fine, whilst the spaceport airlocks and cruise ship rat maze just felt like too much padding. Even when I came back for NG+ and knew the correct route they felt too long. :P (Admittedly, some people will say that P5 has bigger concerns due to the characterisation/localisation issues...)

 

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

The bosses in Celeste were both brilliant and shit, depending on my mental state.

 

The chapter three boss was a bit of a pain in my playthrough... but in the game's defence it's a really short sequence! The chapter six boss was ace, but mainly because of the narrative context.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, robdood said:

It's a great game, but I do feel it's vastly overrated and any criticism of it is met with a strange reaction.  You could trim a lot of the fat and it'd be even better.  

Just like Breath of the Wild. :coffee:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Just like Breath of the Wild. :coffee:

I guess you just mean the reaction to criticism, because there's next to no fat to trim off BotW. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robdood said:

I guess you just mean the reaction to criticism, because there's next to no fat to trim off BotW. 

 

Well I could've lived without those fucking waggle marble mazes.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bit in Half Life 2 where you're supposed to lay down a load of planks and boards in order to not walk on the sand and disturb the antlions was extremely tedious.

 

The later tank sections in Arkham Knight.

 

More an interface issue but making you collect Toadette's moons one by one in Mario Odyssey was boneheaded.

 

The final boss in Shadow of the Colossus.

 

The last act of Monkey Island 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.