linkster

Movie viewings that broke the fourth wall

Regular movie screenings that somehow came off the big screen and into your face 

The dream would of course be something like the cinema sequence in The Last Dragon

Someone in another thread mentioned fights and scuffles breaking out in Rocky IV

There was the infamous time drunk Fife lads came stumbling out of Trainspotting in St Andrews and went looking to re-enact the tourist sequence (tho I only read about that)

for me was The Doors when you could still smoke in cinema, plenty folk sparked up dope and the usher tried gamely to get them to stop but just encouraged someone on the other side of the theatre to start and she’d have to leg it there. Ended up she was hysterical but then gave up

• Downvote 3

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're after, but I went to a screening of Taxi Driver at the BFI a few years ago. I was one seat from the aisle and as the film was starting, a middle aged man in a mac came in and sat next to me.

He seemed quite agitated and was muttering under his breath through the film until the "Are you talking to me?" scene, when he started swearing very loudly. A lot of F-bombs and C-bombs were dropped during that scene as the man got more and more angry.

All the time I'm sat there with my eyes darting to the side in tremendous discomfort as what was happening right next to me. Very disturbing.

• Empathy 1

Great story! But was after original runs, ideally, cos I saw Raiders at the Prince Charles when it was full of nerds shouting the lines out and it drove me fucking mental

It was the theatre rather than the cinema, but during the interval of Pinter's No Man's Land last year a homeless man came and spoke to me and my dad and I swear he could easily have been written by Pinter. Great dialogue. 

• Upvote 3

I remember being in Brooklyn in 98 and taking my NYC mate 'Jay Boogie' to see Saving Private Ryan. Despite being an extremely harrowing portrait of humanity, there was this one character (Played by Ed Burns) who had the word 'Brooklyn' written on his jacket. Every time he was on screen every man who wasn't me would jump to their feet and go "Yeeah motherfucker!!!" "Kill those euro faggots" "YEEEEAAAAHH!!!"

With a fervour bordering on the mentally ill.

When Vin Diesel took a sniper bullet to the death, I remember the whole crowd being confused, cos there was a very real "...but,   americans... dont.... die"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I remember being in Brooklyn in 98 and taking my NYC mate 'Jay Boogie' to see Saving Private Ryan. Despite being an extremely harrowing portrait of humanity, there was this one character (Played by Ed Burns) who had the word 'Brooklyn' written on his jacket. Every time he was on screen every man who wasn't me would jump to their feet and go "Yeeah motherfucker!!!" "Kill those euro faggots" "YEEEEAAAAHH!!!"

With a fervour bordering on the mentally ill.

When Vin Diesel took a sniper bullet to the death, I remember the whole crowd being confused, cos there was a very real "...but,   americans... dont.... die"

Jesus, are Americans in the cinema really this bad? I've seen pisstakes in tv shows and films before but the above sounds ridiculous. Its boarding on Wrestling fans who cheer when the name of their city or local sports team is mentioned.

15 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Jesus, are Americans in the cinema really this bad? I've seen pisstakes in tv shows and films before but the above sounds ridiculous. Its boarding on Wrestling fans who cheer when the name of their city or local sports team is mentioned.

It was exactly that. The wresting fan hoorah bullshit. For Saving Private Ryan!

I spent shit loads of time in LA on business and hated the place so went to the movies an awful lot, sometimes it was awesome cos I seen the prestige knowing nothing about it

but one time I went to see Best In Show and I became convinced some young out of work actors were down the front on commission to laugh more than the film deserved cos one literally slapped his thigh in mirth

4 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

It was exactly that. The wresting fan hoorah bullshit. For Saving Private Ryan!

Uurrgh that sounds terrible. Such an amazing and harrowing film doesn't deserve to have people whooping and hollaring at the screen.

12 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're after, but I went to a screening of Taxi Driver at the BFI a few years ago. I was one seat from the aisle and as the film was starting, a middle aged man in a mac came in and sat next to me.

He seemed quite agitated and was muttering under his breath through the film until the "Are you talking to me?" scene, when he started swearing very loudly. A lot of F-bombs and C-bombs were dropped during that scene as the man got more and more angry.

All the time I'm sat there with my eyes darting to the side in tremendous discomfort as what was happening right next to me. Very disturbing.

I'd dropped my drink on my lap, sorry.

• Upvote 3

I was in a cinema in Times Square NY and (I forget the film) but there was a scene in the film in Times Square and the actual cinema was visible and everyone cheered.

• Upvote 4

The only thing I can think of that was like that was going on a date to see Match Point at the Curzon in Soho. About half way through the film, the two leads go on a cinema date. To the Curzon in Soho. To the very same screen we were currently sitting in. Lots of nervous laughter, and a single cheer. That was a bit weird. 

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Jesus, are Americans in the cinema really this bad?

In ten years of yank cinema going, the only whooping I've seen is at the start of the Star Trek reboot, when it flashes up that kid Kirk is driving that Corvette in Iowa. And again when an adult and he turns up at Riverside shipyard, because Riverside is 20 minutes down the road from here.

Honestly, I cheered too.

14 hours ago, Stigweard said:

When I watched Signs in New York people behind us were whooping and hollering and making jokes at the knife under the door scene. It's quite a tense moment in a tense film, up until that point everyone was silent. The yelling seemed to be from those at the back and from the sides, like different people were joining in making fun of this film. I can't remember what they were saying, something with 'yo' and 'dude' in it. I think maybe they found the film silly and couldn't help themselves at that scene.

• Upvote 1

I saw one of the Lord Of The Rings films in St Lucia and when the tree people (Ents?) were squishing the green people (orcs?) the audience were all shouting “stomp” - was really strange but completely awesome at the same time.

Watching Independence Day in the back of a New York cinema on the 4th of July was certainly an experience. Never seen an audience erupt as one like that at the end of a film before or since. I learned from later NY visits that cinema-goers there are particularly boisterous, but even this response was beyond that.

• Upvote 1

Kind of the opposite of what the thread title is asking for, unless I missed a key subtext of the film, but when I was at the cinema watching the Roland Emmerich version, someone stood up at about the halfway point and shouted “Godzilla’s a nonce!” in a broad scouse accent and then walked out. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Pob said:

Kind of the opposite of what the thread title is asking for, unless I missed a key subtext of the film, but when I was at the cinema watching the Roland Emmerich version, someone stood up at about the halfway point and shouted “Godzilla’s a nonce!” in a broad scouse accent and then walked out. 

:lol:

scousers ruin everything 

• Downvote 1

I went to a screening of Age of Ultron in a Belfast cinema when it first came out. About 5 minutes into the film, the Nazi dude who is trying to defend his castle gives a short speech to his men that ends in 'No Surrender!' This was greeted with a long 'Yeoooooooooooooo!' from about half the audience. It was hilarious.

This is probably meaningless to those of you not from Northern Ireland, sorry, but it really sticks in my head. This sort of explains what it is -https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=No surrender

• Upvote 2

I saw the Expendables 2 at the cinema. Jason Statham does a one-liner that begins "I now pronounce you..." and someone in the audience shouted out "DEAD!" - which was better than the real line in a twistedly brilliant way.

The only thing I can think of, and I don't know if these count?

The Black Swan trailer was playing and once it finished somone from the audience shouted out "Shut Up Meg" - It got a big laugh

Another was during Harry Potter and The Order of The Pheonix. After not believeing Harry throughout the whole film that Voldermort has returned Cornelius Fudge sees Voldermort near the end of the film and says with a gasp "It's him" at which point someone said loudly and very sarcastically "Naaaaaaaw" - again a big laugh.

I paid actual money to see M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" and I don't think I'd have sat through it to the end if not for my fellow audience members. It seemed that everyone in the room realised early on that the movie was horrible, and what started out as individuals and small groups making little quips and comments eventually turned into the entire cinema laughing out loud in unison at the unintentional comedy. Ended up being a lot of fun. Normally I would absolutely hate an audience hijacking a screening like that, but that film deserved everything it got.

Oh, and my older half brother traumatised me when I went to see Stargate. I was 11 at the time. He was 26. About two thirds of the way into the film, he went out "to go to the toilet". He then crawled back in on his hands and knees to avoid being seen, crept down the row behind me, then grabbed me by the shoulders and shouted "I am Ra!" right into my ear. I still don't think anything in my life since has made me jump worse than that.

• Upvote 4

Holy shit I just realised that Das Boot means The Boat.

We did the run from John Menzies along princess st and down the steps towards the back of waverley station after seeing Trainspotting at the ABC on Lothian Road. I'd be collapsed in a heap outside Primark if I tried it these days.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

The only time this happened to me was when somebody loudly farted during a tense, quiet moment in a scene in Das Boot.

I did that the other night, during the highly emotional scene in Logan where Patrick Stewart remembers that he'd done "something unspeakable". I wish I'd done it intentionally.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JLM said:

I paid actual money to see M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" and I don't think I'd have sat through it to the end if not for my fellow audience members. It seemed that everyone in the room realised early on that the movie was horrible, and what started out as individuals and small groups making little quips and comments eventually turned into the entire cinema laughing out loud in unison at the unintentional comedy. Ended up being a lot of fun. Normally I would absolutely hate an audience hijacking a screening like that, but that film deserved everything it got.

Shame they weren’t smart enough to realise the film maker was in on the joke ...

(unlike A Quiet Place)

That feels like Tommy Wiseau saying The Room is meant to be a dark comedy to me. Wasn't it panned by critics and punters alike? Is M. Night Shyamalan the only person smart enough to get it? I've seen it suggested that it's an intentionally schlocky ode to B-movies and I've also seen an essay claiming it to be an "Anti-film". I feel that both are giving it too much credit.