rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Anne Summers

What truly great films did you see at the cinema on initial release?

jurassic Park is my stand out due to that I was about 13 obsessed with dinosaurs and the run up to the movies release the hype train was on full speed towards the Casandra crossing levels of hype!.  Knowing this my dad got us tickets for the Northern Ireland premier (held on the  same night as the London premier - the beard even sent a letter over to be read out )

anyway  my dad and I turn up in casual Tshirts and jeans only for my dad to have completely missed the whole black tie bit on the ticket. So there we where sitting amongst the cream of Northern Ireland celebaraties all glammed up and looking like we had just walked of the street

the movie blew my mind away - saw it 4 more times in the cinema  (still have the premier tickets and programme )

oh and TRANSFORMERS - THE MOVIE! On holiday and the local cinema was showing it I was about 6 or 7-  I went to 6 showings of it they ended up giving me the cinema poster :-)

7 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

My dad took me to see Jaws on initial UK release. I was six years old.

We have a winner!

I remember my Mum n Bro coming back from that and never hearing anything but Jaws for months n months....I was v.pissed.

2 minutes ago, Fusty Gusset said:

We have a winner!

I remember my Mum n Bro coming back from that and never hearing anything but Jaws for months n months....I was v.pissed.

Richard Dreyfus investigating the attacked boat in the dark was a real winning sequence for a six year old. :omg:

• Upvote 3

Nearly every film listed so far. 

Star Wars and Empire

Watershipdown 

Popeye 

Superman 

Ghostbusters

BTTF trilogy

Big trouble in little China 

Beverly Hills cop 2 

Pulp fiction 

Reservoir dogs 

Fight club 

And many more... 

7 minutes ago, Fusty Gusset said:

We have a winner!

5 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Richard Dreyfus investigating the attacked boat in the dark was a real winning sequence for a six year old. :omg:

My brother was supposed to see it with mates and my dad wouldn’t allow it ....

9 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

jurassic Park is my stand out due to that I was about 13 obsessed with dinosaurs and the run up to the movies release the hype train was on full speed towards the Casandra crossing levels of hype!.  Knowing this my dad got us tickets for the Northern Ireland premier (held on the  same night as the London premier - the beard even sent a letter over to be read out )

anyway  my dad and I turn up in casual Tshirts and jeans only for my dad to have completely missed the whole black tie bit on the ticket. So there we where sitting amongst the cream of Northern Ireland celebaraties all glammed up and looking like we had just walked of the street

the movie blew my mind away - saw it 4 more times in the cinema  (still have the premier tickets and programme )

oh and TRANSFORMERS - THE MOVIE! On holiday and the local cinema was showing it I was about 6 or 7-  I went to 6 showings of it they ended up giving me the cinema poster :-)

Jurassic Park was the first movie I ever saw on my own. End of term at college, id just got a job, literally nobody in town 

• Upvote 1

I used to love going to the West End on the day huge films came out - a far cry from now as haven't been to the cinema in what must be 7-8y.

Remember standing outside the Odeon Leicester Sq on the opening night for Silence of the Lambs standing next to Simon & Yasmin Le Bon, everybody on the stairs was so excited to see the film there was a real buzz.

London Film Festival was good too - remember going to an early Sunday morning showing of Die Hard which wasn't on release yet, they even had the bloke playing the organ to introduce it.

Had tickets to the KPax premiere too during the festival too one year, was walking out after the film and saw Kevin Spacey stood in the foyer being photographed by the media - was with my sister who was a big fan of his so took a punt and called out 'Kevin, over here' - he was quite charming and came over to see us thinking we were something to do with the film I guess as we came out from inside the cinema. He soon realised we weren't but signed her ticket and was very polite (didn't try to touch my front bottom or anything predatory, maybe my orange fleece and jogging bottoms put him off).

KPax not a great film of course but a chance to tell my Kevin Spacey story.

prob loads more than i can remember, but the ones i do are

pulp fiction

t2

starship troopers

the matrix

my most memorable cinema experience though (if not the movie itself although still pretty good lol), was seeing independence day at the odeon leicester square. was one my early trips down to london with mates - the anticipation, atmosphere, queue(!), then finally the style and scale of the venue, followed by the movie, added up to a great time.

I worked at a cinema during my university years, so I ended up seeing a fair bit of stuff without much knowledge beforehand. Some of the most notable ones were:

• Pi - Darren Aronofsky's first cinema release (I think). An astounding piece of work with an awesome Clint Mansell soundtrack.
  • Fight Club - Knew nothing about it at the time, assumed it was Brad Pitt playing pretty boy without his shirt for two hours. I was wrong. And massively impressed.
  • Matrix - Genuinely knew nothing about this apart from the fact that everyone was wearing sunglasses. So when Neo took the pill I was with hime for the ride.
  • In the Mood for Love - Dem colours flying off the screen.
  • Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - Shut up, its brilliant. And as a PG loads of parents would bring five year olds who needed to be taken out in tears when the wraiths were doing their shit.

Return of the Jedi, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, Terminator 2, Bladerunner 2049, The Dark Knight, Inception, Inside Out.

the one that really sticks with me though was The Matrix. As others have mentioned  I was in the same situation of knowing absolutely nothing about it, at all. I pretty much got dragged along to it against my will and then when Trinity ran up the fucking wall in the opening scene my jaw just dropped and pretty much stayed that way for the next 2 hours or whatever it was.

the blair witch was another one that sticks with me for first time viewing - but its not one i saw at the cinema first. 

Months before it was released in the cinema, here of the usa, and way before the hype began a mate of mine got a copy on VCD (remeber those!)  he then sent me a copy - on a black CD and told me to me just watch it.  The version he had had no credits or titles etc... 

so to set the scene i had been out for the night got back in  semi steaming (with manditory post night out kebab in hand) and decided to give it a try (knowing no idea what it was or what it was about).  Hour and half later im sitting in the corner of my room curled up in a ball rocking back and forth trying to work out what i had just watched (rember this was the first proper main stream lost footage movie) 

• Upvote 1

That was the craic at the time about Blair Witch, unfortunately  i saw it really hyped in a packed west end cinema and my mate at the end shouted very loud comic book guy style “worst. Film. EVER”

56 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

the blair witch was another one that sticks with me for first time viewing - but its not one i saw at the cinema first. 

Months before it was released in the cinema, here of the usa, and way before the hype began a mate of mine got a copy on VCD (remeber those!)  he then sent me a copy - on a black CD and told me to me just watch it.  The version he had had no credits or titles etc... 

so to set the scene i had been out for the night got back in  semi steaming (with manditory post night out kebab in hand) and decided to give it a try (knowing no idea what it was or what it was about).  Hour and half later im sitting in the corner of my room curled up in a ball rocking back and forth trying to work out what i had just watched (rember this was the first proper main stream lost footage movie) 

Same as me except it was a VHS copy. Didn't even know it was a movie, that shit fucking terrified me. Such a great way to have experienced it. 

• Upvote 2

So many good ones. 

Flash Gordon

Superman II & III

Return of the Jedi

Back to the Future

The Goonies

Big Trouble in Little China

Robocop

Die Hard

Star Trek IV

Rocky IV

Rambo: First Blood Part 2

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Beverly Hills Cop II

The Golden Child

Missed some great ones too and had to wait years to see them on the big screen (Beverly Hills Cop, Raiders, Highlander)

• Upvote 1

A few unlisted ones that I got to see before the general public. Since I worked at a movie theater, we had to inspect the print prior to opening day.

Titanic

City of Angel's

Independence Day 

Event Horizon

The Big Lebowsky

Face/Off

Good Will Hunting

I could probably count the movies i saw at the cinema in the 80s/90s on both hands. It wasn't till the 2000s that i started to go more.

80s i think i watched- 

Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (i believe it was the first movie i saw at the cinema)

Basil the Great mouse detective

Who Framed Roger Rabbit 

War Games

90s

Jurassic Park

Aladdin

The Mask

Lion King

Toy Story

The fifth element

Scream 2

The Blair Witch Project

So, out of all of those, any of them classics? (i would say JP, and the 90s disney stuff maybe).

2000s i watched tons of stuff, the LOTR trilogy, Star war prequels, to be fair i watched hundreds of movies in the 2000s.

Aliens at the Odeon Leicester Square when I was 16. Me and a few mates managed to get in despite it being an 18. 

It was, hands-down, the best cinematic experience of my life. The cinema was packed, we were buzzing because we’d got in, and the entire audience was totally up for the ride. 

I remember so many classic moments that spring to mind, with the audience all reacting as one: the facehugger jump scare, the tension of the “in the ceiling” scene, the facehugger attack, “Get away from her, you bitch!”

One of my favourite films, ever. 

• Upvote 1

I just remembered I saw Restless Natives at the cinema when that came out.

May as well close the thread, no-one’s topping that.

• Upvote 2

A few of my films which didn't quite make it to my "all-time classics list" have been mentioned a few times on other people's - Last Crusade, Roger Rabbit...  so I guess I will upgrade them on my list. 

Although I'm not 100% convinced about Roger Rabbit. Haven't seen it for a long time though, is it really that great?

I only left Last Crusade off because I've always felt it was a notch below Raiders. It's definitely in my own personal all-time-favourites list. But I didn't know if there was consensus on it. 

Obviously any list of "all time classics" will be subjective to some extent, but when I was putting together my list I was trying to think of films that pretty much everyone would agree was one of the best of all time.  

Grease

One of my earliest memories was seeing this with my Mam. I'm sure it was a double bill with some Evil Kneivel documentary film.

Return of the Jedi

I just remember a huge gang of us going, I was 10.

E.T.

My only memory is watching with my Dad, and laughing at some girls that were crying.

Robocop

We couldn't stop laughing about the acid guy on the bus home

Predator

Great memories of going with my buddies to watch Predator. We were about 14 and worried we wouldn't get in.

Terminator 2

Blew our minds.

As a student I have great memories of watching Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting during my year as a fresher.

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Starship Troopers.

It might not be everyone's idea of a classic, but I went in knowing very little about it, and came out and felt exhausted. Great stuff.

• Upvote 4

Return of the Jedi is one of my earliest cinema memories, Ghostbusters another.

I remember being hyped to see the first Tim Burton Batman movie with Michael Keaton as the bat. That was the first 12 cert release I think, and me and my mate were 11, still remember rehearsing our dates of birth beforehand. Anyway they didn't check.

A shitload of mid-90s stuff while me and my mates waited to leave our nowhere town and go to uni, so that covered Trainspotting and basically anything else in that era. Then I went to uni and didn't see much new stuff (for some reason I remember Blair Witch and Saving Private Ryan but wouldn't count either as a classic), but we did have an ace indie cinema that screened things like Wild At Heart so I saw a lot of older stuff on the big screen then, just not at the first time around.

Showgirls, don't think anyone else has claimed that one yet. Another from the 'see anything they release' era. There were some weirdos in that room, at least one who shiftily left mid-way through the show.

Oh, I went to the first London screening of Battle Royale, that was awesome to see with no prior knowledge but for the short paragraph in the listings. Also one of the first dates for me and my wife so it holds a special affection even now. 

• Upvote 1