Revival

Onimusha: Warlords

First released on PS2 in 2001, Onimusha: Warlords arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Steam on January 15, 2019 with a high-definition visual upgrade.

• Upvote 5

Amazing news!! Onimusha was a fantastic game. It was the first game I played on the ps2 that really blew my mind. Shame this version isn’t being released earlier. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously measuring interest in the franchise.

God, I remember renting this from blockbuster video and playing it in a single evening/night thanks to a load of speed my mum gave me.

• Upvote 4

Too many of these games now, soon ancient samurai is going to become the new zombie apocalypse. 

Still, it's clearly just a tester to see if there is an appetite for another. Though to be honest I can't see this doing well, so it would be a shame if it's this remaster that stops a proper sequel getting greenlit.

Is onimusha warlords the one with jean Reno?

loved onimusha, love all these re releases

did this one have tank controls or an alternate control option?

Edited by bumgut

4 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Warlords felt clunky when the "enhanced" og xbox version came out. They would have been better going for one of the later entries. I always favoured the 2nd but I'm guessing that has likely aged badly too. 

The first has aged better. Second looks amazing but some of the bosses are just downright frustrating because of the camera. 

The very first review I ever wrote for a videogame website was for warlords. That in turn led to me becoming the editor of Retro Gamer. I'll be buying a copy of this. I might even review it in the magazine.

• Upvote 8

It was alright but completely overshadowed by the likes of DMC and Ninja Gaiden imo. Also, fixed camera angles in this day and age? It needs a proper remaster rather than a lazy port.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Stanley said:

It was alright but completely overshadowed by the likes of DMC and Ninja Gaiden imo. Also, fixed camera angles in this day and age? It needs a proper remaster rather than a lazy port.

You shut your mouth! I'll not have you badmouth Onimusha!

:mad:

• Upvote 1

I thought it was a cracking game for it's time :) 

Can't wait to upgrade the powerful fire red sword for the big boys and the green whirlwind one for the fodder (and that bug boss).

• Upvote 2

I had Genma Onionmasher on the Xbox, I think it was mostly the same as the PS2 one but with some extras - there was a doll that randomly showed up with knife hands and a tug of war soul mechanic. Wonder why they don't port that one instead? I spent hours in the demon realm getting to the final floors. I do remember the soundtrack being really good mind, there was this track that played when you had to fight around a waterfall IIRC that was very wonderful and melancholic compared to the demon slaying on screen.

5 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I'm sorry you're both wrong.

The answer we're looking for is Power Stone. 

And then P. N.03. And Godhand. And Project Justice. 

Then they can deal with the rest. 

• Upvote 1

It has a new Japanese audio track apparently. It, along with Dino Crisis were basically variants of the Resident Evil formula.

New Soundtrack – A brand new soundtrack and Japanese voices have been recorded to accompany the newest release of Onimusha: Warlords.

New Soundtrack? I guess Capcom wants nothing to do anymore with Mamoru Samuragochi.

On 5 February 2014, it was publicly revealed that music attributed to Samuragochi since 1996 had actually been ghostwritten by Takashi Niigaki, a musician, composer, and part-time lecturer at the Toho Gakuen School of Music in Tokyo.[14][15] Niigaki also said Samuragochi was not deaf and states that Samuragochi has normal hearing and was posing as a deaf man to generate a mystique around his image as a composer.[4] Niigaki also said that Samuragochi did not need to use his cane, and that most of his biography printed in album liner notes was fiction.[4][10] Niigaki went to the press because one of Samuragochi's "compositions" would be used by Japanese figure skater Daisuke Takahashi, at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.[10] On 12 February 2014, Samuragochi released a handwritten statement in which he revealed that he had a Grade 2 physical disability certificate after losing his hearing and to have partially regained his hearing three years previously.[16]He also added that he was "deeply ashamed of living a lie."[16]

Following the revelation, the city of Hiroshima announced that it would be revoking the Hiroshima Citizens' Award it presented to Samuragochi in 2008.[17] On 7 March 2014, he gave a press conference in Tokyo, appearing in public for the first time since the ghostwriting allegations arose.[18] He admitted that while his hearing was impaired, it did not meet the legal requirements for deafness, and that he had returned his disability certificate.[18]