Shadow - stream a high end PC to you device, play games on ultra

mexos

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

I can finally play the Twitch Prime library I have built up too. 

However, I gave GRIP a go and it was buttery smooth. I had it stutter once or twice for a second or two, but it gave better performance than I ever got on my own PC. 

What's this like at the minute? It's in early access isn't it but does it run well and more importantly is it good. Feel like a new racer and it's pretty cheap on Steam.

Spent another few hours playing games this evening on my shadow instance. I installed Assassins Creed: Origins, some more Vermintide 2 as well as going back to Rise of the Tomb Raider. All I can say is that maxed out all these games are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. ROTR at times just had me stopping and gawping at the physics and reflections going on in areas like the Prophets Tomb. All have been hugely enjoyable and are just so smooth and crisp compared with trying to run it on my aging hardware.

It's not all been good news though as I have found a game it does have a few issues with, which is Battlefield 1. I downloaded it in about 20 minutes (86gb's worth) as I was able to get near the 1gb connection (114MB/sec). It doesn't seem to like it when you start playing as there's lots of stuttering which is just not there in other games. It did improve to the point where I didn't notice it after 5-10 minutes though. The connection seems to stabilise in order to be able to provide it at the smooth speed and responsiveness you'd expect. I'm guessing that since it's one of the more demanding games from speed and things going on in the screen, it's having to drop the quality slightly in order to do this which takes time to figure out. I didn't notice any obvious drop, but it would be annoying if you had to sit through this stabilisation process every time you wanted to play.

Another possible concern for me is just how much data is being transferred on an average evening. Take a mid level connection which is 20Mbs/sec for example. Divide that by 8 to get the actual transfer rate to transfer those frames to your PC, which is 2.5MB/sec. Multiply that by 60 to get a minute and again to get an hour. For an average connection per hour therefore you'd be transferring up to 9GB. If you're on a faster connection, you can only imagine how it scales up from there. Now this shouldn't be a problem as most connections these days are unlimited, but I guess we just hope that our ISP's see it like that and don't start throttling this kind of traffic.

Obviously this sounds very negative, but I am still very excited about this whole thing. It's got me wanting to play more of my back catalogue with an aim to complete them now that I've the hardware to run it in the way they're meant to be played and seen.

Well bugger me. 

Was having issues loading Fortnite on the Xbox One, so decided to try it out on Shadow and despite a couple of stutters, I managed to do a Save The World mission and it was again super smooth with no noticeable lag. 

15 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Has anyone encountered any research into the environmental impact of such an increase in bandwidth use? Just wondering if this could be another Bitcoin-style thing where folk have it down as some bold future while it's ecologically disastrous.

I'd imagine that a server farm is more efficient than the equivalent in individual PC's scattered in houses around the globe. They can also be located in places that might be able to use renewable sources of energy much like some of the bitcoin mining operations do.    I suspect it'll be as big an ecological impact as bitcoin is, which is not much. 

5 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I'd imagine that a server farm is more efficient than the equivalent in individual PC's scattered in houses around the globe. They can also be located in places that might be able to use renewable sources of energy much like some of the bitcoin mining operations do.    I suspect it'll be as big an ecological impact as bitcoin is, which is not much. 

It's the 'imagine', 'might', 'some' and 'suspect' that had me wondering if there was any research knocking about.

There must be some kind of impact considering you would now need two devices/PCs to play these games instead of just your own PC. 

If this becomes the standard in the future then that would surely have an impact - although the client side device/console would perhaps require less power to run. 

I am impressed with this, having done nothing more than mess around installing stuff, but I have absolutely no idea how to connect a DS4 controller. It just doesn't seem to recognise that there's anything connected, either through Windows or Steam. I've installed Input Mapper but no joy there, either.

Any help much appreciated! 

12 minutes ago, bradigor said:

No idea, I am running it on a MacBook and Windows recognised my XB1 controller and installed drivers 

OK, cheers. As ever, XB pad will be far far more straightforward than fannying around but I'll do what I can. 

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

There must be some kind of impact considering you would now need two devices/PCs to play these games instead of just your own PC. 

If this becomes the standard in the future then that would surely have an impact - although the client side device/console would perhaps require less power to run. 

Streaming devices generally are a lot more power efficient than a PC.  I'd guess with a server farm on one end where profit = minimising power costs and a low power streaming device in a fair number of houses it would not be a ecological disaster that some might think it could be.    I'm not pointing fingers by the way.  Bitcoin had the same FUD over power. Economies of scale and profit chasing will mean power requirements will keep getting pushed down or renewables will be chased harder. Profit is king after all. 

What connection are most of you on?  I don’t like what they have put on their FAQ for Internet Connection:

https://shadow.tech/usen/faq

I have FTTC and a connection which maxes out at 4Megabytes per second.......  I am a bit simple when it comes to this at times. Are they saying it needs 5mwgabytes a second minimum?

the more I think of it the more tempted I am. 

I'm on BT Infinity, whatever max package it is. When my wife was streaming Netflix and I was streaming some radio, it definitely affected performance slightly, I felt a few more frame drops but once she turned it off, it went back up to pretty much flawless. 

28 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

What connection are most of you on?  I don’t like what they have put on their FAQ for Internet Connection:

https://shadow.tech/usen/faq

I have FTTC and a connection which maxes out at 4Megabytes per second.......  I am a bit simple when it comes to this at times. Are they saying it needs 5mwgabytes a second minimum?

the more I think of it the more tempted I am. 

Go to speed test dot net. 

Run a test, tell us your download result.