mexos

Shadow - stream a high end PC to you device, play games on ultra

1 hour ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Am I right in saying you can install whatever you want to it? (if you get my drift!)

Yep, it's just another PC with it's own drive(s) which comes with Windows 10 pre-installed. As such you can install Origin, Steam, GOG etc. You can even use it for work (office, e-mails etc) if you really want to. There's nothing which specifically states you have to use it for gaming, though it would be a waste of the graphics card you're paying for.

43 minutes ago, tronied said:

Yep, it's just another PC with it's own drive(s) which comes with Windows 10 pre-installed. As such you can install Origin, Steam, GOG etc. You can even use it for work (office, e-mails etc) if you really want to. There's nothing which specifically states you have to use it for gaming, though it would be a waste of the graphics card you're paying for.

OK cheers I have signed up and set it up (with the mobile app!) and downloaded the FH4 demo - the internet speed on these things is insane! 

In the majority of games, those physical limitations i.e. 100ms lag just don't matter. The only games I would say would be affected are the time critical ones, like fast-paced FPS where getting a bead on an enemy or who can shoot first is important. For the majority though, the lag is not noticeable and would argue that if you'd give it a go, you wouldn't notice.

Subbed to this tonight. It was set up within 5 mins, impressive. Sadly thats where the good part ended.  So far I've tried Escape From Tarkov and PUBG. Both are a slideshow and totally unplayable. 

I am having horrendous input lag and constant stuttering. I have a 47mbs d/l connection when.I test it on the app, which should be fine. 

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Decided to give this a go following the xCloud and Google announcements, works rather well in the right conditions! Played a little Forza Horizon 4 in Ultra settings and it played fine - not perfect, but well enough - I'll need to test it some more but it works a lot better than expected...

...so long as I'm near the router! Using a rubbish internet connection supplied by NowTV, with the standard router you get. I'm in the same room as the device then I get some stutter but nothing too bad, if I try and play from upstairs I can barely use the Windows 10 virtual PC to launch a game! Haven't tried with Ethernet yet.

Need to test it some more, and I might give it a go with something like Dead Cells to test input lag, but it worked well with the Forza demo and No Man's Sky. Huge potential, but I can see Microsoft xCloud shitting all over this eventually.

Quick testing update - with current setup it's unusable if something like Netflix is running in the house. Getting less than 20mbps down and 1mbps up.

Shadow is seriously impressive. I played PUBG for three hours last night and it didnt feel like I was streaming it at all, its witchcraft.  I'm definitely going to pay the extra for additional storage space. 

Making my way steadily through Witcher 3 and enjoying it so much more than the laggy experience on my PC. Smooth with no frame stutters with everything maxed out. Signed up to a 14 day free trial of Xbox Pass and downloaded FH4 and GoW4 for the laughs. I maxed out FH4 and it's running at around 70-80fps - well, at least according to the in-game FPS counter. Hooked up my old Xbox 360 controller and had a blast in both. It's amazing how well this works and really think this is the future... so long as you have at least a 30mb connection and decent latency.

A big YouTube channel did a sponsored spot about this, they seem to have very big ambitions for it and the demo made it look completely seamless moving between all the devices they support. Their claimed latency numbers were also highly impressive.

Nearly £30 a month to lease a PC that you only have remote access to? 

No thanks, you could buy a pc on finance with a better cpu and gpu than you’re getting from shadow, granted you don’t get free upgrades but with £30 a month you could future proof yourself for the full duration of your finance agreement.

Not sure what the benefit is here.

I paid for a month of this, and I can't think of a worse waste of £26. Terrible picture quality, glaring latency issues, several crashes...it was that bad I ended up spending a grand I can barely afford to spare on a new PC instead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Since my old PC is little more than a glorified streaming box for shadow games at present, I'm thinking of chucking it in and getting the new shadow ghost thing. Will definitely save me some electricity. Apparently it's being released on the 27th for £109. I was considering buying a mini PC for £150 and doing the same, but since this thing does more for less, I figured I'd go for this. I've got my MacBook Pro for development so seems like a good idea.

Will be interesting to see if they upgrade their tech on the server side soon as I imagine that Metro Exodus may have issues with this "always play at max settings" tagline.

I’ll probably do the same. I need usb to work so I can connect my wheel and pedals. I couldn’t get it working on my Mac.

Ok, so after waiting for it (and finally getting past their server issues), I've gone ahead and bought a Shadow Ghost and got the e-mail to confirm :) 

On the negative side though, I've noticed that they've pushed all their existing clients onto a new price plan without warning us several months in advance. I got the e-mail literally a couple of days ago telling us of their new "pricing plan" which was 1 month £29.95 or 12-month (insane!) for £26.95. Would have been nice to get some warnings and it does seem a bit dubious how they're now charging everyone a higher rate without asking or confirming. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a 6-month for £26.95 or preferably a 3-month, but 12-months to get the cheaper rate is crazy. I know in the grand scheme of things £33 for what I'm getting is a good deal, but it remains to be seen how long it remains there.

I got one too. It was a right pain in the arse but I got there in the end. 

Pricing doesn't seem to be changing for me. I got this in an email:

Don't worry, we didn't forget about all you existing customers. Here are your two options starting now.

Continue paying £26.95 on month-to-month contract.

Switch to 12-month contract and pay £26.95.

:blink: U WOT MATE??? Why would anyone switch to 12 months?!

39 minutes ago, mexos said:

:blink: U WOT MATE??? Why would anyone switch to 12 months?!

Unfortunately I think they mean £29.95! Check your account as you should be on the new pricing now. If not you're a lucky sod :P

Sorry to bump this thread but in case anyone is tempted with Shadow (which I still recommend) avoid the Shadow Ghost like the plague. It seems no-one has really done a proper tech review of this thing and although there's a possibility that mine is faulty, it just can't cope with what it was created for. It was the first time yesterday that I tried having a proper gaming session lasting a couple of hours with a friend and I noticed how laggy it was when playing. Moving the mouse caused the game to stutter which gradually got worse and worse the more I played. I had it connected to a ethernet cable directly from my router with a 350mb virgin connection and by the end it was near unplayable. The sound started cutting out and I noticed that when I put my hand on the device it was very hot.

It sounds great on paper as they say that it will only use 7 watts per hour compared to the 500+ of a normal PC, but there's a reason why it only consumes that. The Raspberry Pi or whatever they use isn't powerful enough to stream a 1440p game and it starts to overheat. I went back to streaming on my PC and it was like night / day. It was so smooth compared and it's just so much more responsive. Save yourself the £70-80 and just use the service but don't be bought into the whole thing-client device. It's probably why they don't advertise it on their main site anymore without doing a search. Ah well, live and learn :(

I also posted a support question to them about getting a webcam to work which I just heard back from. You know how typically it takes a 4-6Mb connection to stream an HD video, well apparently in order to be able to get a webcam to work with your shadow you need the following:

"however, your upload needs to be high, we recommend 50mb-60mb upload'

Who the hell (apart from those lucky few with synchronous connections) have an upload of 50-60Mb?! I've got 35Mb upload and it was slide-show. I'm guessing there's zero compression being performed between the ghost and the instance. I realise I can use a phone or my existing PC to do this, but that was the whole point in getting this device so I didn't need to have one. Guess I'll be hanging onto my PC for the foreseeable future then. I guess at least streaming on it uses less power than gaming.

Just had a look and most users on the Discord are happy with the Ghost. It sounds like you have a faulty one. Worth sending it back and getting the replacement.

Good to know... I doubt they would consider it broken or have a fault though as it does stream games. The issue is in how smooth it is to play them. It's the difference with playing 20-25 fps with the occasional judder on the ghost and a 60fps smooth game on a PC. Also, I've found their support pretty useless when it comes to problems but will give it a go and see what happens.

I'd also be interested to get your opinion on it Herbalizer when you've had a play. I'm guessing you're using a PC at the moment so I'd be interested to know if there is any disparity between the two.