Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

The SOR3 soundtrack is full of fucking bangers. Like that one up there that @Calashnikov posted. Or this one:

Or this one:

I love the music from 1 and 2 as well, but feel that 3's soundtrack is unfairly maligned.

I really hope that Yuzo Kushiro is doing the soundtrack to 4 as is rumoured. Squealing guitars is just all kinds of wrong.

Never really heard the soundtrack for the 3rd game before, or even played the actual game, but those example tracks are pretty impressive compositions, especially for such a limited bit of hardware.

The best and most fondly remembered games are a complete sensory and gameplay marriage, you need appealing visuals/great gameplay and an amazing soundtrack so they had better be planning to get somebody in to do something memorable if they hope to be worthy of the legendary name they have co-opted.

IIRC Ancient and Yuzo Koshiro did have plans themselves to make another sequel at one point.

Hands on impressions are out and it's sounding positive:

SoR4 mechanically revolves around the series' '90s beat-'em-up basics: a jump button, a melee button (which automatically chains a flashy punch-and-kick combo when tapped repeatedly), a "special" attack button, and combat that sticks to a horizontal axis.

But two seemingly tiny tweaks change this sequel's combat: the ability to juggle foes as they bounce back from hits' impact, particularly against a wall, and the ability to recoup any health lost when using a special attack. The original SoR games made players trade health for a special attack, but any SoR4 fighter who can pull off a clean, uninterrupted melee combo after doling out a special will get that lost chunk of health back.

These combine to give your characters more control over waves of baddies, and in kind, SoR4 will push more intense foes for you to contend with. This is a clever way to scale the combat while still making it tough to pull off 1CC game completions, we reckon.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/pax-hands-on-retro-sequels-streets-of-rage-4-windjammers-2-take-us-back-to-94/

On 01/09/2018 at 17:44, Down by Law said:

Only problem with his ROS soundtrack is on actual hardware it's really muffled, which is odd when how crisp his SOR (ha!) soundtracks are.Would love to hear that soundtrack properly cleaned up.

He released both of his seminal works on CD in Japan many years ago so a very high quality version exists for both game soundtracks.

• 3 weeks later...

That Blaze Fielding animation is just fucking depressing. You can’t even use the excuse that her having large and unwieldy boobs that wobble all over the place was something they’ve taken from the original character, her physique is something they’ve deliberately changed for this version. It’s not like Blaze was some kind of feminist icon in the first place given that she was fighting in a leather miniskirt and a boob tube (although she at least wore flat-heeled boots, as opposed to the extremely practical high-heels she’s wearing now), but man, that new version is like some kind of fucking pervy fan art rather than something you’d see in an official sequel. How can we update this classic nineties character for the 21st century? I know, let’s give her massive tits.

You can’t even say that it’s true to the style of the nineties either, given that it clearly isn’t – it looks like an eighties cartoon, and as mentioned above, Blaze looked nothing like this in the original. Years ago, I read in a mag – possibly Sega Power – that for the Ripley sprite in Alien 3 on the Megadrive, they’d originally animated her so that her boobs jiggled around when she ran, but changed it because they thought it was inappropriate. Says volumes that the developers of a licensed 16-bit platform game in 1992 have more progressive attitudes than an indie game developer in 2018.

Between the metal soundtrack on the trailer, the overall Filmation look and that tragic boob animation, I’m struggling to think of anything I like of what I’ve seen so far of this. I’d feel more optimistic about the end result if EA were developing it as a F2P mobile game.

11 minutes ago, K said:

That Blaze Fielding animation is just fucking depressing. You can’t even use the excuse that her having large and unwieldy boobs that wobble all over the place was something they’ve taken from the original character, her physique is something they’ve deliberately changed for this version.

SOR3vinile_news.jpg&key=428cd9111ad065a9

hqdefault.jpg

GENESIS--Streets%20of%20Rage%203_Feb8%20

I'm not totally disagreeing with what you are saying but she had big tits in 1994 and has gratuitous panty shots in both 2 & 3 when she performs a flying kick. You can't say she's been oversexualised for this game because she always has been.

sor3-5.gif

1Noe.gif

I'm not saying she wasn't sexualised in the original game, either - that pleather mini, that boob tube - but the animation in the new version takes it to a new level. It's the dirty mac erotic fan art vibe that annoys me. Neither character really looks like they did in the original, and it’s fair enough to update them for the new version, it’s just a bit sad that the main change they make to Blaze is to make her tits ridiculously, painfully huge. I mean, they didn’t make Axel into some Tom of Finland caricature.

1 hour ago, K said:

I'm not saying she wasn't sexualised in the original game, either - that pleather mini, that boob tube - but the animation in the new version takes it to a new level. It's the dirty mac erotic fan art vibe that annoys me. Neither character really looks like they did in the original, and it’s fair enough to update them for the new version, it’s just a bit sad that the main change they make to Blaze is to make her tits ridiculously, painfully huge. I mean, they didn’t make Axel into some Tom of Finland caricature.

Bet you're amazing fun at party's

If anything, Blaze's animation for 4 is more realistic than past games in terms of being able to beat the crap out of everyone in her given physique. More of a Chun-Li post SF2 vibe now with those legs.

It's just the art style. Get over it.*

*Boobs!

There's something really unseemly about this whole wave of continental European devs buying the license to classic Japanese IP and 'modernising' it. This, Wonder Boy* and Shenmue 3 being the poster children for this trend.

(*Although I'm told Wonder Boy does justice to the original.) Sonic Mania gets a bit close to the line in places too with all the wanky reference humour.

It's indulgent fan art really. It's like buying a DeLorean and thinking that entitles you to leave Michael J Fox weird overfamiliar voicemail messages.

Or 1970s Italian directors hiring washed up American movie stars.

Streets of Rage wasn't trying to look like a 1980s Saturday morning cartoon, it was if anything trying to look a bit like Streets of Fire, Fist of the North Star and pulpy low budget action films.

2 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

There's something really unseemly about this whole wave of continental European devs buying the license to classic Japanese IP and 'modernising' it. This, Wonder Boy* and Shenmue 3 being the poster children for this trend.

I'm not sure I'd call it a 'wave', given that Shenmue 3 is almost the opposite situation (a Japanese developer headed by the designer of the original game resurrecting a series, then later partnering with a European publisher), and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was literally a pure remake, so somewhat different. Even counting that, it was developed and published by the same people as SoR4, while the only other similar game I can think of - Windjammers 2 - features the same publisher again (this time in developer role as well) making this less a Europe-wide thing, and more a dotEmu thing. Still a bit 'off' feeling, but much more localised.

(it does mark a change for dotEmu: remaking/rereleasing games had been their modus operandi since they started a decade ago, and their move to developing sequels to SoR and Windjammers feels like a last throw of the dice given their recent upheavals)

On 01/09/2018 at 17:22, Isaac said:

I mean, at the risk of turning this into a Yuzo Koshiro thread, let's not forget the incredible soundtrack he made for Revenge of Shinobi:

^ This was released in 1989!

Oh man, didn't realise it was the same guy. I used to listen to this on the options screen for ages :D

On 24/09/2018 at 09:10, Down by Law said:

Axel seems a little over animated but Blaze looks fantastic :wub:

I like how they've taken the SF inspiration a step further and given Axel a piece of clothing that has the same motion as Ryu's belt.

ryustance.gif.dd61f60c8af19cd5968611ba09bfd104.gif

On 24/09/2018 at 09:51, K said:

That Blaze Fielding animation is just fucking depressing. You can’t even use the excuse that her having large and unwieldy boobs that wobble all over the place was something they’ve taken from the original character, her physique is something they’ve deliberately changed for this version. It’s not like Blaze was some kind of feminist icon in the first place given that she was fighting in a leather miniskirt and a boob tube (although she at least wore flat-heeled boots, as opposed to the extremely practical high-heels she’s wearing now), but man, that new version is like some kind of fucking pervy fan art rather than something you’d see in an official sequel. How can we update this classic nineties character for the 21st century? I know, let’s give her massive tits. 

You can’t even say that it’s true to the style of the nineties either, given that it clearly isn’t – it looks like an eighties cartoon, and as mentioned above, Blaze looked nothing like this in the original. Years ago, I read in a mag – possibly Sega Power – that for the Ripley sprite in Alien 3 on the Megadrive, they’d originally animated her so that her boobs jiggled around when she ran, but changed it because they thought it was inappropriate. Says volumes that the developers of a licensed 16-bit platform game in 1992 have more progressive attitudes than an indie game developer in 2018. 

Between the metal soundtrack on the trailer, the overall Filmation look and that tragic boob animation, I’m struggling to think of anything I like of what I’ve seen so far of this. I’d feel more optimistic about the end result if EA were developing it as a F2P mobile game.

Are they that massively oversized? They seem like a D or a DD and like everything's animated - boobs seem less so then everything else. Heck, Axel's boob's seem to wobble almost as much. Plus high heel boots? They're boots with a slight heel at most.

Genuinely I'm not seeing what you are.