Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

4 hours ago, deKay said:

Even the butchered SoR 3 isn’t a bad game. Sure, it wasn’t as good as 2, but it certainly wasn’t awful.

Prefer it to 1, actually.

I mean this might be correct, except for the fact that 1's soundtrack is pretty much wall to wall bangers. Better than 2's, and that's a very high bar.

49 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I mean this might be correct, except for the fact that 1's soundtrack is pretty much wall to wall bangers. Better than 2's, and that's a very high bar.

Yeah, 1’s soundtrack is the best of the three.

Always saw SOR3 as a remix of 2. The worst thing about it is that this could have worked if it spun the different sections of the game in new ways and separated them instead of throwing everything together in a way that made no sense. The journey of Streets of Rage is part of the fun; you're meant to start in the streets fighting punks and then for it to get weirder.

Plus the music is annoying. The developers seem to mostly focus on new animations which it was hard to tell whether they were good additions or not.

The only way i can care about new Streets of Rage would be if they take the premise of the game and not recycle any of it, none of the enemies should return imo. If it re uses classic Streets of Rage ideas like the elevator then it should subvert it. Go underwater, have you wearing a diving mask as sharks swim by, have the elevator floor break as enemies fall on to it. I'd like an enemy to for some reason have a pet tiger and he unleashes it on to you and you get punch it to death. All fan service stuff can go away. They need to return to the leaps SOR2 made then, and jump ahead. I want a wind tunnel, a fight on a falling plane, pitch dark tunnel, ninjas that shoot arrows at you that you can catch in mid air, a fight on a rooftop so that when you reach the ground later you can see the large pile of bodies of the enemies you punched off the edge a while ago. I want news crews, and a clear up happening to deal with this absurd mess you created. I want a sequence where ants crawl all over you and chew on your skin as you continue to try to fight off enemies. Red raw you can barely walk, eventually appearing to die, but actually waking up from a dream in your bed. I want that to happen near the end of the game so what you thought what was the end is perhaps only half way through. And then you walk downstairs naked, have a shower, get dressed, have cereal, check you answer machine messages, grab your car keys and drive to work on the motorway where a few miles in a massive robot appears to be stamping on vehicles, and you stop, get out, climb the robot, and have a fight with whoever is controlling it from the pod inside. Then the game ends. so that's what i want.

While the locations and music are not up to par in 3, the gameplay and work actually gone into the game feels the most advanced. I wonder how many bothered playing SOR3 the way it was meant to be: with a 6 button pad. It is amazing when you make use of the entire move set available.

Saying this, SOR1 is still my overall fav. Best music, ship and elevator levels.

I hope you can punch through someone's skull and rip out their brain. I know ripping out the heart is the thing to do, and graphic violence isn't SOR's thing. Brains you can rip out and feed to your deformed alien creature you bring along with you on a leach, that with each feed grows bigger until you can slice it open and jump inside to protect yourself from grenade blasts. Then when you reach a pit of spikes you can sacrifice it, laying it out like a carpet as it weeps tears of betrayal. Acidic tears that melt the screen. im bored.

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

I hope you can punch through someone's skull and rip out their brain. I know ripping out the heart is the thing to do, and graphic violence isn't SOR's thing. Brains you can rip out and feed to your deformed alien creature you bring along with you on a leach, that with each feed grows bigger until you can slice it open and jump inside to protect yourself from grenade blasts. Then when you reach a pit of spikes you can sacrifice it, laying it out like a carpet as it weeps tears of betrayal. Acidic tears that melt the screen. im bored.

Now THAT sounds like a game straight out the 90s!...and, I really want to play it lol

I'm nominally pals with a guy lucky enough to have played on the same bill as Yuzo Koshiro as part of this bonafide slice of genius:

diggininthecarts.jpg

He's the same age as us cunts and legit grew up playing Megadrives and being inspired by Yuzo tha Don. We're all immensely proud and jealous of his involvement in the above.

11 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Can’t believe how hard they’ve fucked the new sound.

Dude - I'm 90% sure that's just the trailer music, and Yuzo is doing the soundtrack - just like Sonic Mania. The fact he can't speak suggests he's under an NDA and Sega/Lizardcube have some grand marketing plans, and someone else has found credits which states composer as TBA.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Motohiro Kawashima joined him, given how easily he was brought on board for a mega obscure Vita only game:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/13/why-the-streets-of-rage-3-composer-was-the-only-musician-for-oh-deer/

21 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Fuck it, may as well get my str8 gem classic in both while we celebrate the original Streets of Rage series’ soundtrack and lament whatever tf that new shite’s supposed to be. Fuckin yas:

Can’t believe how hard they’ve fucked the new sound.

I mean, I'm totally with you, but that video uses the wrong midi instruments and has a weird echo effect on it.

This is right:

18 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I'm nominally pals with a guy lucky enough to have played on the same bill as Yuzo Koshiro as part of this bonafide slice of genius:

diggininthecarts.jpg

He's the same age as us cunts and legit grew up playing Megadrives and being inspired by Yuzo tha Don. We're all immensely proud and jealous of his involvement in the above.

Konx-om-Pax?

SOR3's soundtrack was too much to deal with back in the day. If it wasn't the abstraction found in some of the tracks it was the cold robotic melodies, weirdo funk, aimless noodling, psychotic hardness, noise and insane sub bass found in the others. These days its a gloriously monstrous electronic album which I forget comes from a videogame. 

7 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

SOR3's soundtrack was too much to deal with back in the day. If it wasn't the abstraction found in some of the tracks it was the cold robotic melodies, weirdo funk, aimless noodling, psychotic hardness, noise and insane sub bass found in the others. These days its a gloriously monstrous electronic album which I forget comes from a videogame. 

I liked it when Yuzo Koshiro reinterpreted the sounds of, like, Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo or something, but more as a weird acid house collective rather than a cheesy Dutch gabber mob or whatever when he presented shit like this for me to uppercut punks in the face to:

Shout out to all the troops who even partially understand what the combination of Charly Lownoise, acid house and Megadrives even signifies.