Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

25 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

It's the music drops and transitions that make this the best, like when the baddies come out of their cells in the police station, or when you walk through the castle doors on the last level. Proper bangers.

Oh yeah, those are so well done. My faves are the transitions between the pier and beach on Estel's stage, and moving through Barbon's bar.

When the heavies come out of the lift on Y Tower and the music gets intense is brilliant. There's two great bits that aren't on the OST - straight after the rooftop fight with the bikers on stage 10 and when fighting the mace robot in the castle on stage 12. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much! You have to maximise the score bonuses for picking up food on full health - so have to make sure you refill green health, while trying to maximise combos, as much as possible. That's where a lot of the risk/reward comes in, abuse the specials too much and you won't drop a combo, but you won't get the score benefits from food. You also get a 500 score bonus for unused star moves but I found it's much better to use them to not drop a big combo (when you know you're going to take a hit as you're locked into another move, and can cancel it with the star power) as the point scaling will give you way more returns than that. 

Stages 4 and 9 were the hardest to S-Rank. I had the 5 million points trophy way before due to playing those stages so many times. Stage 9 in particular is brutal with the scoring, I had to change to Blaze as she can keep combos going for longer as the hit box on her offensive special is massive. The one stage I truly found disadvantageous with Axel, as without the right throw at the right time it's impossible to hit the environmental objects to keep the combo going from the first to the second wave of enemies in the bathhouse.

Picked this up on switch last night as it was on sale . It’s my first ever sor game . Woke up a bit early for work this morning and fired it up to take a look .

Ended up having to rush to work when I realised I was going to be late . Reminded me of the c64 says loading up a game before school. 

really enjoying it . Obviously lots to learn with how to play it but it impossible not to have fun . And you can tell it’s got replayability up the wazoo . 

Perfect hand held sofa loveliness 

On 20/08/2020 at 20:33, Mr Combo Breaker said:

What does SOR3 Shiva say when he does his special move? Sounds like ‘I ain’t no grass!’ To me.

Final Crash.

The weird thing there is that I remember reading either an article or interview with somebody somewhere, where the explanation was that it was a nod to Final Crash, a bootleg version of Final Fight that did the rounds in the 90s. So him referencing that is a nod to SOR borrowing heavily from Final Fight. However, on researching it now I can find absolutely no evidence of this anywhere. I'm wondering if I completely made it up now.

23 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I'm kinda gutted the baddies don't do that glitchy dance when you fire off the SoR1 special.

That's not glitchy. They're 2D sprites shitting themselves at the prospect of incoming cannon and bazooka fire.

If I was 2D I'd be doing exactly the same, mark my words.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this yesterday for the Switch. Holy shit, it's fantastic! It manages to capture the feel and vibe of the old games while massively elevating the mechanics, and has some of the most awesome set pieces I've seen in a game. Never had to use my brain so much in a brawler.

Love the boss fight against Barbon, where each time you trash a bike another of the biker girls comes out to join in (and very handy projectiles they make too). The Roo cameo was a nice touch, too.

Concentrating on Axel at the moment to get a feel for the game, then will try the other characters.

On 18/09/2020 at 09:08, Alexlotl said:

Got this yesterday for the Switch. Holy shit, it's fantastic! It manages to capture the feel and vibe of the old games while massively elevating the mechanics, and has some of the most awesome set pieces I've seen in a game. Never had to use my brain so much in a brawler.

Love the boss fight against Barbon, where each time you trash a bike another of the biker girls comes out to join in (and very handy projectiles they make too). The Roo cameo was a nice touch, too.

Concentrating on Axel at the moment to get a feel for the game, then will try the other characters.

Axel was recently upgraded by the recent update. It was a bit more frustrating using him before that.

• 1 month later...