Streets of Rage IV - Survival Mode DLC and Anniversary Editions Out Now

Down by Law

Everytime I play it there's a new banger. The ghost pier really kicks especially when the cops show up and the three way battle ensues. Then down the beach which sounds like livin' joy It's all good. The guitar laden track that plays through the biker bar kicks major ass too, it's really terrific. Such a shame that some parts that play in game don't appear on the ost version. Like when you fight the mace robot on ch 12 there's a real nice intermission that kicks in during that fight that isn't on the ost. Oh well just another reason to keep on playing! 

I'm up the last stage on Mania now. I've belatedly realised that different characters are suited to different stages. Floyd absolutely beasted Y-Tower and also seemed to be best choice for the Stadium, but was pretty hopeless on Cargo Plane. Blaze's air special and low, low overhead throw were invaluable on that level, especially for flying over the phalanx of shield cops to take out the flask-throwers.

Mania is some proper Halo-on-Legendary shit. It demands real concentration and mastery of the different tools, and I can repeat the same segment over and over again and never get bored. 

Ramen and tofu for me, which had hilarious results in my first online multiplayer game with a mate who wasn’t aware you could change the food items. I’m shouting at him to grab the ramen and he’s like “WTF are you talking about?!” as he had the default selection. 

I love this on Gamepass but feel a bit guilty I haven’t actually bought it... I assume it plays well on Switch. I have the Lite model so the proper d-pad should help.

On that bit:

Spoiler

I absolutely think the lift bit is one of the best set pieces I've seen in a game in the past decade. The music builds as you work your way through the building, getting serious when you meet guys with guns for the first time, then you enter the lift and face every enemy you've met thus far, and the brilliant music track builds to a triumphant crescendo as you and a buddy or three throw all the karate bastards that have been giving you so much grief up to now right off the skyscraper. It's only merely a 2D side scroller, but they've packed in so much drama and badass moments in that level (and in the levels in general) that it makes me fucking emotional.

On 19/05/2020 at 11:10, Benny said:

On that bit:

Hide contents

I absolutely think the lift bit is one of the best set pieces I've seen in a game in the past decade. The music builds as you work your way through the building, getting serious when you meet guys with guns for the first time, then you enter the lift and face every enemy you've met thus far, and the brilliant music track builds to a triumphant crescendo as you and a buddy or three throw all the karate bastards that have been giving you so much grief up to now right off the skyscraper. It's only merely a 2D side scroller, but they've packed in so much drama and badass moments in that level (and in the levels in general) that it makes me fucking emotional.

Well I'm stuck on this bit on normal so I don't feel the same, I suck at this game :( I did get to the boss a few times but I got destroyed every time.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Well I'm stuck on this bit on normal so I don't feel the same, I suck at this game :( I did get to the boss a few times but I got destroyed every time.

Are you on PC? I can lend a hand if you fancy some co-op :)

31 minutes ago, Benny said:

Are you on PC? I can lend a hand if you fancy some co-op :)

PS4 I'm afraid but thanks for the offer! I feel like I should be able to do it alone though, I'm clearly not doing something right.

Just wanted to pop in and say.. this game is absolutely immense!

I don't have loads of game time, but it's just the right fit for what I do have. It's rock solid but it's obvious how well balanced it is as you improve. The combo system adds so much to SoR, it's hugely, hugely fun and satisfying bouncing enemies off the floor and walls before continuing to smash them to bits. I just love it!

I haven't even got far yet, but it seems to have enough depth to keep me coming back for a very long time – not that I ever stopped going back to SoR2 anyway.. Out of the base characters I really like Cherry, perhaps because she has the right balance of powerful quick-dash moves for a newbie. Maybe she's seen as cheap, no idea.. but she works for me :D

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

The devs have done an AMA on reddit but the main takeaways were 

• Axel is getting a buff
  • DLC is coming
  • Super Armour enemies are being tweaked after player feedback
  • They wanted to include Skate in some form but as he'd be grown up, then you might as well have Adam. They were going to put him in a cut scene, but then people would want him playable so they would have had to really consider the design. 

Pleased about all of that to be honest. It's wild that in boss rush the first two bosses are the hardest because of the amount of Armour they have

Full AMA is here https://dm.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/golg88/we_are_dotemu_lizardcube_and_guard_crush_games/

Will it be easier or am I just shit? Is there anywhere with some good tips/hints?

I really don't find Diva to be difficult at all. If she whiffs the whip attack you can take half of her health. Tonnes of 100% damage combos on her too. Some of the other armour in the game is a bit inconsistent but I hope they don't completely give in to the complaints.

Got the 100 yen trophy with Axel just now. Got a bit fuckin hairy on that ch10 rooftop with the bikers, vials then the rolling fatties and stabby galsias but after that it was OK. Lost a life to the mace Robot in the gauntlet which got the palms a bit sweaty but once I got through that it was OK. Finished with 2 lives left. Exhilarating stuff, possibly the  best 1.5 - 2hr session in gaming right now? The time just flies by. The game just grows on me every time I play it. Genuinely think this is a 10/10 game. I'll be coming back to this for years just like Streets of Rage 2 before it. 

On 22/05/2020 at 22:55, JLM said:

I really don't find Diva to be difficult at all. If she whiffs the whip attack you can take half of her health. Tonnes of 100% damage combos on her too. Some of the other armour in the game is a bit inconsistent but I hope they don't completely give in to the complaints.

How? 

I've got used to the armour on enemies but Diva is a terrible boss - especially for the first boss. She summons the most annoying mooks to protect her and you spend ages just waiting for her AOE attacks to finish - I've had her spam them 3-4 times over! Diva is tougher than most other bosses as you've got turbo knife Galsia and pipe Donovan being a pain in the arse on top of all her armour shit. Honestly the hardest part of boss run is fighting the two of them.... Half screen flamethrower, massive and constant aoe attacks....definetely the most satisfying enemy to finish with a slow mo headbutt. Get in the sea! 

Anyone up for a friendly boss run competition? Post your results screens up here! I'll chuck mine up in a bit

The double divas are fine if you focus on the poison one first. Even if she does the AOE you can often recoup the damage drain by attacking her.

Overall, very few of the toughest parts of the game are bosses, even with all their armour. It's much harder to deal with large groups than a big guy and a few henchmen. 

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

How? 

The really juicy stuff is at the end of them. :D

Personally for Axel I'd maybe buff his damage a little bit because he feels more like a heavyweight. Other than that I quite like his lumbering style and his air special gives him mobility. I think his short combos should hit harder than Adam's though, as Adam has the benefit of more mobility.

I completed this on Mania, and now boot it up to see if anyone needs help playing a stage on Mania in the  'Join online games' section. Not found anyone yet!

I've started trying to Boss Rush too. Got as far as Estelle /Commissioner. It's really fun. The whole package is really great bit-sized gaming, with Arcade mode if you want something a bit lengthier.