rllmuk
Down by Law

Streets of Rage IV - PS4 / XB1 / PC / Switch - Out Now!

3 hours ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

That stage 6 weapon bit is a lot easier with some of the other characters. When Cherry swings that halberd she’s got much more range in it than when Axel does, for example. Also, you can throw weapons and catch them in the air on the rebound. 

Yeah, Axel is traditionally the least mobile character too, so he struggles the most with situations like that. This middle aged bulked up Axel in SOR4 actually fits how lumbering he is better than his old design. You'd think in SOR2 it'd be Max but his blitz and offensive special both let him move around surprisingly fast. I like that they've sort of kept that with Floyd's air special and his hold and release attack that gives him a bootleg forward dash. I still insist on using Axel in every game despite this, though in this game I'll definitely be playing a lot of Adam as well. He is so much fun. I think he'd be a great antidote to some of the struggles people have had. He has an actual dash so you get a great mix of Cherry's mobility and Axel's heavy hits. Solid all rounder with immensely satisfying wall bounce combos.

Just tried SoR1 Axel, and his attacks are a bit ridiculous. I suppose it had to be done considering how limited the first games characters are in terms of attack variety, but he attacks like lightning and does a shed load of damage, one flurry and an enemy just melts. I vaguely remember that he was the most damaging character in the original though, so maybe its just that.

I've completed this twice now and it's great. 

I just found out about this hidden feature (spoilered if you don't want to know):

:omg:

Need to taser one of the arcade machines ASAP!

• Upvote 2

I got to the four riot shield guys in Stage 2 and got my ass handed to me!  What is the best way to handle them?

May consider dropping down from Normal for starters :D 

The downwards jumping attack is pretty good to get rid of their shields quickly and safely. They tend to swing and miss as you're bouncing off their heads.

Can also tap the shield a few times and then move slightly up or down as they wind up the swing. 

My preferred method is to do the regular attack string and then hit defensive special when they go to swing at me. The invincibility makes their attack miss and then you can finish off the shield with a few more hits, which also immediately gets you the health back after using the special. 

• Upvote 1

Minor quibbles with the retro soundtrack:

• They're all 60hz versions (so are too fast)
  • They have included 8bit versions of some tracks, which seems unnecessary given the amount of music required and the number of tracks across SoR 1,2 and 3
  • There are baffling choices for which song plays where (why play an 8bit version of the stage theme when fighting Shiva when you have two separate Shiva boss battle themes you could use from SoR 1 or SoR 2?!)
  • The mix is all wrong - it's too quiet compared to the new stuff. This is the easiest one to fix - they just need to increase the volume! I have audio at 100% and I can still barely hear them above the fight sounds.
  • They sound much lower quality than the vinyl versions - might be unfair of me. I'm not sure whether this is just the volume in the mix, but when Alien Power comes on it has none of the bass or power of even this youtube version:

Hopefully they can fix some of these, but for now I won't be using the retro soundtracks until they do. A full sound options menu where you could pick which song plays on which stage, and actually increasing the music volume so that it's the same loudness as the new songs would go a long way to fixing quite a few of these.

It's a shame because otherwise the inclusion of the old music is great!

• Upvote 3

Having said that, some of the new music is sensational. Personal favourites at the moment:

• Upvote 2

Adam's by far the best character it's almost rediculous. His forward x offensive special send enemies flying so far on any stage with pits you can clear out entire mobs with one button. He's got a double forward dash so outside of cherry the fastest, most mobile character. He swings weapons like clubs further forward than the others, so you can knock those shields off the riot cops without even being in range of their attacks. He has some alternate moves with weapons by pressing forward forward attack such as the mop. He's an absolute wrecking machine. His jump in down combo into air special does great damage and hits many times. His back attack looks amazing, a full on donkey kick. He looks boss as fuck too. Shame they didn't approach Axel with the same sort of design mindset, the jack up scruffy tramp. Anyone struggling I'd highly recommend giving him a go. 

Yeah the retro soundtrack implementation is a massive let down, bizarre choices and volume and why all the streets of rage 1 tracks are the 8 bit versions? absolute insanity. Hopefully they will patch it. 

Good job the new music is good though. The chapter 9 opening and ride themes are really good and the entirety of chapter 6 really got me pumped up. The only dissapointment is the last stage that's goes a bit too much SoR3 for my liking. The relatively chilled out music on the way to the final boss is my fave part of the first two games. 

10 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Is there no higher resolution support for the pro / x / pc? That’s pretty lazy.

I was hoping it would be 4K, but looks to be 1080p so not very sharp. Only played on Xbox One X so far.

Isn't there higher resolution support for the Steam version, but not the game pass version?

My understanding is a different team did the Xbox / game pass pc version, which is why some of the filters and video options are missing, unfortunately.

Hopefully that will be fixed.

On PS4 i turned overlays off , so all the foreground shit is removed completely and it looks more in line with the 16bit games. Much easier to see a cheeky knife wielding Galsia that way too.

23 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Isn't there higher resolution support for the Steam version, but not the game pass version?

My understanding is a different team did the Xbox / game pass pc version, which is why some of the filters and video options are missing, unfortunately.

Hopefully that will be fixed.

Oh, ok, yeah maybe. I bought it on Xbox, so have the none Steam version. If true, that is really dumb lol.

Frankly, the biggest issue with the Microsoft Store version is that it doesn't recognise generic USB controllers, only ones that look to the system like a 360 gamepad etc. - meaning I have to use joy2key-style software to use my USB MD pad to play the game. Fine for single player, but means no multiplayer for me using multiples of that controller (unless I buy the Steam version, which apparently happily recognises them).

Love that the Microsoft Store somehow makes things worse even in game. That's some dedication to being the worst digital store in existence!

Game's great otherwise, mind. Playing on Normal as Cherry I've got as far as... whatever the level after Shiva is. No continues used so far, though I did have to defeat Shiva with no spare lives, which was a bit dicey. Had to stop there because I'm not young any more and The Claw was starting to destroy my fingers. More this evening, I think!

Personally, I'm loving the game, but there are Streets of Rage fans and retro gaming fans on Twitter complaining and debating about whether this is worthy. Sigh.

Nobody tell them Final Fight was better. I don't care what DF say about the AI. I mean... SoR4 is still ripping off paying homage Final Fight character design.

J / Two P = Signal

Poison = Nora

Bill Bull = Big Ben

Bred = Galcia

The artwork was made for 1080p screens according to the DF video. I don't think a native 4K mode is going to offer much.

I'm disappointed that they didn't include the run/ dash/ roll mechanics from SOR3. Axel's walking mobility feels so inadequate compared to how some of the enemies dash around the place. The short reach of his regular attacks compound the issue as it can be difficult to get in range to attack quickly.

• Upvote 4

I don't know what people are expecting 4k to add to a 2D artstyle. Those chunky black lines aren't going to get any sharper, there's no fine detail missing.

• Upvote 4

It looks phenomenal on a 4K TV on PS4 Pro - I dunno if it does some kind of upscaling but what more do people want?

I imagine 4K animation would be super intensive for minimal gains.

• Upvote 1

This is really good, but god am I crap.

I sort of have this dim recollection of just button bashing my way through Streets of Rage 2 on what I assume was normal difficulty without any real problems. Now there's guys with shields that you can't just stand in front of and biff until they fall over. I even know what to do, but my instinct is to just stand there and bash them.

• Upvote 2

My first impressions are that this has really brought out the tactical side of SOR, which was probably always there, but back in the MD days it was only ever the bosses that gave me gip. The new moves, special attack risk/reward, new enemy types plus more enemies on screen really makes you think more about positioning, prioritisation, crowd management and move selection. It's fantastic. Those little tactical additions like better integrated specials, juggling, weapon catching and the hard attack make all the difference.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

My fave of the new tracks. The intro reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China. 

Was gonna post this one. 2.47 onwards is incredible.

Also, these two: 

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

Did anyone catch the Shinobi graffiti in stage 4? Hopefully hinting at the next project :wub:

Yes and yes.

Unrelated, but Shinobi on the Sega Ages collection on Switch is one of the best things I've bought in ages. Being able to rewind the bonus stage to kill all ninjas is amazing - when I was a kid, having one of the bastards jump on me was always super stressful. Now they all die every time! And that stage select... man, so good.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Did anyone catch the Shinobi graffiti in stage 4? Hopefully hinting at the next project :wub:

I hope they support this a little bit post-release too though - I can think of at least two obvious characters that aren't in it, for example.

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Personally, I'm loving the game, but there are Streets of Rage fans and retro gaming fans on Twitter complaining and debating about whether this is worthy. Sigh.

Nobody tell them Final Fight was better. I don't care what DF say about the AI. I mean... SoR4 is still ripping off paying homage Final Fight character design.

J / Two P = Signal

Poison = Nora

Bill Bull = Big Ben

Bred = Galcia

Dude, most of these were in SOR2...

And 2 is STILL better than Final Fight.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Dude, most of these were in SOR2...

And 2 is STILL better than Final Fight.

And SoR2 copied them from Final Fight. 1989 > 1992.

As a series, SoR is undoubtedly stronger. Especially considering 4.

• Upvote 1