Streets of Rage IV - PS4 / XB1 / PC / Switch - Out Now!

2 hours ago, Popo said:

What’s going on in this video? The squad car is back? The player can choose which character model they play as (SoR 1, 2, 3 or 4)? Was this already announced?

It was announced last week, sometime:

At the risk of sounding like a sadistic nutcase, I'd like the enemy goons to scream a bit louder when you kill them. I felt like it got a bit lost in the sound mix in that footage and they're one of the many excellent things about SOR's sound design for me. SOR3 is my least favourite of the series, but even in that one the "YAAAAH" noise when you dispatch your Donovans and Garcias is an iconic one for me. Also on the harder difficulties it's useful to know if you've killed an enemy that was knocked off screen.

That is literally the only nitpick I have though, I am unreasonably excited about this game. The soundtrack was my primary concern when it was announced but they've nailed it. I expected there might be a classic sprite option or DLC included but I was not prepared for the full set of characters from the previous games. I am more impressed with the game with every announcement and bit of media released for it. I want it right now.

Genuinely gutted there's no Roo. I often went through SoR3 with him, he had some brilliant moves. Maybe they're keeping him back as an Easter Egg?

Was soooo close to buying the Limited Run release of this, but when they stuck on $25 shipping and with the current mess going on, I tapped out. Shame though, I've got all the MD originals boxed up in great condition, I do quite like the idea of having the fourth sat next to it.

5 hours ago, grindmouse said:

As a genre, the scrolling beat'em'up never really found it's evolution.

The format has built-in drawbacks such as repetition and a tendency to front-loaded resources, which limit longevity.

I'd be interested to see how a modern dev like this crafts something substantial from it.

If Capcom were to do a AAA reboot of Final Fight, with SFV style graphics and a Metrodivania / Dark Souls structure ie. fairly open city hub with routes leading to boss fights and new areas, along with a levelling-up / skill tree - plus extras like, a sparring gym survival mode and multiplayer arena... I'd buy it anyway. As long as there was no Fight Money.

For me Guardian Heroes was the brawler that showed a way forward... and was then entirely ignored.

A wide range of dramatically branching routes, stories and endings dependent on your choices (and who you were playing as); relatively complex combat mechanics (blocking, MP-based spells, SOR2+ style special attack inputs); a wide range of enemies with very different strengths and weaknesses; highly varied character types (including a support healer option). Oh, and levelling, which I could live without, but certainly fits with modern design preferences.

It offered up more longevity than any other brawler I can think of, and all by offering variety rather than without relying on grinding to do so (unlike later attempts like Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim). But, sadly, seems to have been the sole attempt in that style.

I'm downloading Guardian Heroes onto my XBone as we speak.  ;) This thread got me thinking about how fantastic it is, even before you posted.

Does anyone know if my Madcatz TE Arcade Stick (360/PC) will work on the X?

5 hours ago, grindmouse said:

If Capcom were to do a AAA reboot of Final Fight, with SFV style graphics and a Metrodivania / Dark Souls structure ie. fairly open city hub with routes leading to boss fights and new areas, along with a levelling-up / skill tree - plus extras like, a sparring gym survival mode and multiplayer arena... I'd buy it anyway. As long as there was no Fight Money.

Did you play Fight'n Rage? It's not perfect, but there's a lot in there - multiple routes, multiple endings, training mode, battle mode, time attack, score attack, unlockable costumes, unlockable characters, extra unlockable difficulties. It's not exactly the open world RPG you're suggesting, but it's quite a polished and generous brawler.

54 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

Looking forward to this but is there a physical copy for the xbox? I have seen a pre order for the switch and ps4 physical but not xbox. 

Merge games have filed a USK rating for a European physical release on all formats but there's no listings anywhere yet. I'd like a physical copy of this too that's not from limited run. 

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

For me Guardian Heroes was the brawler that showed a way forward... and was then entirely ignored.

A wide range of dramatically branching routes, stories and endings dependent on your choices (and who you were playing as); relatively complex combat mechanics (blocking, MP-based spells, SOR2+ style special attack inputs); a wide range of enemies with very different strengths and weaknesses; highly varied character types (including a support healer option). Oh, and levelling, which I could live without, but certainly fits with modern design preferences.

It offered up more longevity than any other brawler I can think of, and all by offering variety rather than without relying on grinding to do so (unlike later attempts like Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim). But, sadly, seems to have been the sole attempt in that style.

Forget support, Nicole is hilariously broken, she deals more damage than anyone else once you level up her magic.. 

GH_NicoleBarrier.gif.d4e5bf53442dcecd55b20472da260a2b.gif

6 minutes ago, MDY said:

Forget support, Nicole is hilariously broken, she deals more damage than anyone else once you level up her magic.. 

Her heal is also ridiculously overpowered... when she casts the right one. Random casting is the best.

I might recommend playing it before writing it off ;)

The plane-jumping is a compromise in order to give it full fighting-game-level controls, with jumping and ducking on the d-pad (and special moves inputtable without moving towards or away from screen). It also generally makes attack range a lot more readable than a lot of brawlers; no missing attacks because you're a pixel away on the z-axis, which I quite appreciate.