Jump to content
rllmuk
dumpster

ReDream - the amazing Dreamcast Emulator

Recommended Posts

With regards to weird video issues with certain games - this is par for the course on real hardware too as I've only recently discovered (apologies in advance if this is super common knowledge).

 

Back in the day I ran everything via composite and had no issues. I didn't realise that some games couldn't run if the system detected an incompatible video cable or if the game was hard coded, say, not to run in VGA mode. There are some games that simply need alternative video out options to run at all. I loved Vampire Chronicles but it really sucks to give up RGB in order to play it on my current setup.

 

It seems the only way to run absolutely any DC title without needing to switch out cables is to use HDMI via the DCHDMI mod - something I wouldn't have thought would be an issue with DC emulators...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the details of that back in the day because there's a technique that lets you play certain games that are not VGA compatible. For example, Hydro Thunder doesn't work with a VGA box, but if you boot the disk with your VGA box switched to TV, then flick it to VGA at just the right time, the game plays in VGA and looks amazing. No idea why some games don't work over VGA , there must be some reason but it seems strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some games boot into different (non cable specific) video modes with certain button combos too - such as some of the Capcom fighters which can flip between 480i and 240p. And some Euro games seeming identical to their NTSC counterparts but inexplicably having a video mode or two removed.

 

On a somewhat related note I plan on getting some Light Guns at some point but understand that certain combos of official Light Gun and specific region games are completely incompatible too.

 

Seemingly arbitrary minefields ahoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this chatter has made me start taking a look at Dreamcast Emulation and wanted to get involved. I still thought DC Emulation was years off, turns out I was wrong!

 

I had 2 quick questions before I started tracking down games:

 

As I played PAL UK back in the day, I wanted to get PAL games but realised that their could be some issues in emulation when the game boots in 50Hz but the user is then taken to the boot screen where they can choose 50Hz / 60Hz. Should I choose US games for this reason or does ReDream handle either set well?

 

Also, with disc emulation in the past, I've always had my copies zipped in .bin / .cue format. If I went down this route again, do I need to convert them from the CD format to a DC disc image and if so, what's the best mnethod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, grab iso's buy the lifetime key for $5 and get the resolution ramped up as high as your pc can handle. This thread reminded me I need to sell my Dreamcast and gubbins as I'm never likely to go back to it with the emulation being as good as it is. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

It’s best to get gdi images. Totally uncompressed. Although redream does also do cdi images. 

 

48 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Yeah, grab iso's buy the lifetime key for $5 and get the resolution ramped up as high as your pc can handle. This thread reminded me I need to sell my Dreamcast and gubbins as I'm never likely to go back to it with the emulation being as good as it is. 

 

Thanks for the advice.

 

That's annoying though as the place where I normally grab the games only offer them in bin / cue format. The other places I've looked at do the same too. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Anyone tried the android version on an Nvidia Shield?

Not yet but assuming there is an Android version I should be able to download it and sideload it perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Not yet but assuming there is an Android version I should be able to download it and sideload it perhaps?

 

It’s functional but a bit weird. In shenmue their eyes pop out of their heads and half of dynamite cop is invisible, but this may be common emulator issues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, carlospie said:

 

It’s functional but a bit weird. In shenmue their eyes pop out of their heads and half of dynamite cop is invisible, but this may be common emulator issues 

The Shenmue eye thing is an old emulator issue that is resolved in ReDream PC version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time update!

 

If anyone has not tried ReDream then please give it a go. It has exceptional support for DC games, looks fantastic, works with an Xbox One controller out the box and has made me all a bit giddy! The only question I had was I want to throw the creator some cash and also to purchase the full fat version of ReDream but hit a snag when I got to the payment screen; He doesn't offer Pay Pal support but instead wants you to enter your Credit Card details through a service named Stripe.

 

Has anyone here done this and had no issues? Want to give some cash to the guy for some stunning work but feel off about using that payment service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wools said:

Long time update!

 

If anyone has not tried ReDream then please give it a go. It has exceptional support for DC games, looks fantastic, works with an Xbox One controller out the box and has made me all a bit giddy!

 

 

I love it. Best thing is how amazing it runs on my Galaxy Note 9. I have it installed on my phone, have a USB-C > HDMI cable. Boom, portable Dreamcast. Plug it into any TV, connect an Xbox controller (or two) over bluetooth. It's fantastic.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

 

I love it. Best thing is how amazing it runs on my Galaxy Note 9. I have it installed on my phone, have a USB-C > HDMI cable. Boom, portable Dreamcast. Plug it into any TV, connect an Xbox controller (or two) over bluetooth. It's fantastic.

 

I'm stunned and slightly jealous, you're playing it on a mobile!

 

I posted a few screenies in the DC appreciation thread but for anyone who is unconvinced or thinks it's hard to set up; Literally buy the emulator for £5 on the website, place the key in the run folder and the emulator just works so well. Gutted that Sega Rally 2 doesn't work (It was a Windows CE release and the emulator can't yet suppport it) but the games it does run... :wub:

 

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.10.29 - 15.41.24.68

 

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.10.29 - 13.47.34.31

 

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.10.29 - 16.15.41.30

 

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.10.29 - 16.42.27.61

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I assume you can visibly see the battery draining at that point :D

 

It's not too bad to be honest! No worse than playing a 3d game from the play store. 

 

It's not ideal playing in touch screen mode, but it's more than possible. 

 

Screenshot_20191030-134022_redream.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wools said:

 

I'm stunned and slightly jealous, you're playing it on a mobile!

 

I posted a few screenies in the DC appreciation thread but for anyone who is unconvinced or thinks it's hard to set up; Literally buy the emulator for £5 on the website, place the key in the run folder and the emulator just works so well. Gutted that Sega Rally 2 doesn't work (It was a Windows CE release and the emulator can't yet suppport it) but the games it does run... :wub:

 

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.10.29 - 15.41.24.68

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...I've had plenty of crashes in Soul Calibur with this emulator, especially when messing around in the museum section of the game, unlocking some of the artworks and viewing them will crash it, so I'm quite sceptical of their compatibility claims, TBH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Amazing stuff, to go from this to that Sonic in a few years is mind boggling looking back.

 

406-Sonic_Jam_(U)-1.jpg

 

It's stunning isn't it? People do forget how beautiful and good Sonic Adventure was, I have a real soft spot for that game.

 

33 minutes ago, MpM said:

 

...I've had plenty of crashes in Soul Calibur with this emulator, especially when messing around in the museum section of the game, unlocking some of the artworks and viewing them will crash it.

 

That's a shame to hear. Playing all of Kilick's Arcade Mode in Soul Calibur and mucking about with a few modes yielded no issues with the emulation but did remind me how much I have to unlock! If doing that causes crashes, that's a disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parappa said:

Can you play HOTD with a mouse?


Didn't try but works fine with an Xbox One controller connected by USB using the analog stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wools said:


Didn't try but works fine with an Xbox One controller connected by USB using the analog stick.

May give this a go - they need to include keyboard support so you can play TOTD!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had fun testing the Rez prototype on this last month - can't do anything about the debug menu in the lower-left but it's still playable... (excuse the video compression)

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2019 at 22:27, Jazz Glands said:

Every copy of Virtua Tennis 2 I use in this crashes after a game or two (Android version on Shield). Anyone get this working ok? 

 

I get the same thing with Flycast, the only game I have that doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.