rllmuk
dumpster

ReDream - the amazing Dreamcast Emulator

Been so impressed with this that I think it deserves its own thread.  ReDream has come in for some criticism as it's a paid emulator, but there's a free version which is great and does everything I'd want.  It plays pretty much everything for the Dreamcast, auto configures your controller, downloads artwork for the games and , most significantly for me it auto detects the format of the disk and the games just... work.  GDI, ISO, weird files with seperate audio tracks, it doesn't care and it all just works.  This post would be longer, but I'm off to complete Toy Commander, which I started in 2001.

• Upvote 9

As I mentioned in the emu thread it’s really impressive, not just in terms of compatibility but also accessibility - no bios or plugin fiddling, handles most image formats, picks up a DS4 controller wirelessly with no trouble (and apparently Xbox pads are similarly easy to use) - it’s ace. Cool Cool Toon was my emulation nemesis for ages but that works fine, and I’ve also tried stuff like Maken X, Radirgy and Under Defeat with little trouble. :wub: 

Yeah it picks up Xbone controllers no problem at all and maps all the buttons sensibly. VMU management is seamless. It really is brilliant.

I’m disappointed Gunlord doesn’t work yet, and I had issues with Bangai-o, but practically everything else works really well (including Sturmwind).

Yep, I'm really glad this is (optionally) a paid-for emu. Firstly, because the guy more than deserves the money, and secondly it means the pace of development should be faster than most. 

I'd obviously like save states, and some built in filters (like CRT). There's a handy page for what it features* which answers the question @Myshkin asked about cheats: no, not supported yet, soz. 

https://docs.libretro.com/library/redream/

*obvs this is referencing the libretro/retroarch core implementation, but the same should apply to the standalone. 

Edited by Treble
Pick, pick, pick...
  • Upvote 1

There is no installation process for redream - download it, extract it to a folder and run. If you've upgraded and have a license, download and place it in the same directory before running.

Redream is built to be portable, all of the files used by it are stored alongside it in the same directory.

:wub:

I was surprised how far along Dreamcast emulation is, although I'm not sure why it wouldn't be as I've been using Demul to play a few Naomi-based shooters that chug on MAME (can't for the life of me get Atomiswave ones working at all, it just complains about the bios despite the file being there). Mostly I was looking to play the DC version of Bangai-O and this runs it great although there seem to be a few screen elements missing and I'm not really familiar with the game enough to notice things that are wrong. It's great to be able to play stuff like Mars Matrix with the additional modes from the home release rather than just the arcade,  now I just need to find the games on their own as I don't really want to download the 250GB of what I'm assuming is a full set. A fiver for high resolution seems like a pretty good deal, this kind of stuff must take crazy amounts of work but with sprite based shooting games I doubt it'd make an awful lot of difference, 3D ones like Exzeal do look amazing rendering at 1920x1080 on Demul though. It would be great if 360 emulation worked as well, then I could finally pack the console away as at the minute it's just a dedicated Radiant Silvergun machine.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting an older junker - core2duo - off eBay. Cost me 25 sheets. It's gonna be a Clone Hero machine plus other low-end emu stuff, but am looking forward to chucking this and PCSX2 at it. Will report back! 

Bit of a disappointment on OSX. (Late 2013 iMac with dedicated Nvidia card).

Virtua Tennis 2 hangs indefinately after the first six or so points in any match. Also per-pixel sorting is only supported on OpenGL 4.5 and above. OSX only supports up to 4.1 while they switch focus to that new Metal API, so you only get per-triangle sorting, meaning anything complicated like Ryo's face in Shenmue is all glitched up.

Interface also not quite as slick/easy to use as OpenEmu, and there's no CRT/LCD filters, but it's brand new and is clearly a game-changer when it works.

12 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

What are the minimum specs like for this? Is my ancient PC (a 2.something ghz with 8gb RAM) likely to be able to run this?

It doesn't say but it's essentially perfect on my first gen i7 from 2011 and a Geforce 970.

It can't run any of the WindowsCE releases, which is a bit of a shame. I don't know why, considering I thought it was a bit shit on release, but I have a real hankering to play Sega Rally 2 again.

Sega Rally 2 on the Dreamcast gets a lot of shit for having half the framerate of the Model 3 version.

But then the Saturn port of Sega Rally (best console racing game ever made) had the same issue.

Also the 10 year championship mode is great, with some good new tracks, great weather effects, and some of the older 70s/80s rally cars look cool as fuck.

• Upvote 2

But the Saturn port of Sega Rally at least keeps a consistent frame rate, which the Dreamcast port of Sega Rally 2 fails to do - in fact I remember there being a whole load of slowdown. I bought my Dreamcast on launch day with SR2 being one of the games I got with it, and as a massive fan of the original on the Saturn at the time I found it a massive disappointment. Put it this way - I sold it on before too long, whereas I still have my original Saturn copy of the original Sega Rally. I've never played SR2 in 60Hz though, so it could be a shitty PAL port I guess.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Zio said:

But the Saturn port of Sega Rally at least keeps a consistent frame rate, which the Dreamcast port of Sega Rally 2 fails to do - in fact I remember there being a whole load of slowdown. I bought my Dreamcast on launch day with SR2 being one of the games I got with it, and as a massive fan of the original on the Saturn at the time I found it a massive disappointment. Put it this way - I sold it on before too long, whereas I still have my original Saturn copy of the original Sega Rally. I've never played SR2 in 60Hz though, so it could be a shitty PAL port I guess.

There's a cheat to enable 60fps. Well I say enable but it's still very much up and down and removes lots of trackside detail to do it.

Its a shame the Dreamcast port had issues and the PC version was a last minute port to get something out.

On 28/08/2018 at 16:58, Zio said:

It can't run any of the WindowsCE releases, which is a bit of a shame. I don't know why, considering I thought it was a bit shit on release, but I have a real hankering to play Sega Rally 2 again.

Have you tried the Supermodel emulator? I think it's able to run Model 3 based games now and since it's the arcade you wouldn't have the problems that came with the port (assuming the emulation has improved, I've not tried it myself).  

• Upvote 3