Double dip for me; got my free copy from EA coming, which I'll use as part ex, for a pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition.

With less time on my hands, I can see this and CoD getting a lot of my attention for pick up and play, regardless of the state of the rllmuk league. 

Disappointing. It doesn't look like 19 will address the defending issue so I'm probably out this year. I'll give the demo a try but don't hold much hope. 

I seriously don't understand how the defending hasn't been brought up as a major issue for players. You spend half a match defending and in this iteration it's so unintuitive and frustrating. Is the FIFA community generally satisfied with it?

Defending is much better on 19, on the 18 beta it was all 5-4 and 7-6 games as nobody could defend, on 19 I had a few 1-0 wins and even a 0-0 game, no real high scoring matches at all.

I cancelled my pre order as I put 18 back on for a few games and a team full of tots and they just wouldn't move.  Like they were stuck in treacle.  I just can't give ea the money.

Everyone can defend well on 18 now, it’s back to full auto defending like on 17, but for months it was a shit show and pro clubs was even worse as the goalkeepers and defenders being low rated were awful.

See this is not my experience at all.  The defending on pro clubs has not changed and the standing tackle is next to useless. Where's the fun in auto-defending? 

I used to actively enjoy challenging and tackling on previous versions but on this one it all feels so unresponsive and random. Maybe it's just me. 

Nah, I've said it countless times - the defending change is the single worst decision ever made since '08. The skill level and barrier for entry went through the roof, and it's really unintuitive. Awful mistake. 

• Upvote 1

19 is much better for defending, players don't just stand and watch for great periods while strikers run at them. Definite improvements over 18, but also some worrying issues that I hope they will resolve before release (changing players being the main one).

On 25/08/2018 at 10:36, tcharliel said:

I seriously don't understand how the defending hasn't been brought up as a major issue for players. You spend half a match defending and in this iteration it's so unintuitive and frustrating. Is the FIFA community generally satisfied with it?

It's about numbers. Ultimate Team makes SO MUCH MONEY for EA - hell they could still make hundreds of millions by giving the game away free. So why change things too much, it's a risk.

The community doesn't overly care, they are pretty solid in regards to constantly playing the game.

It makes money, EA are now back into minor incremental updates because it's their bottom line.

1 hour ago, Dinobot said:

It's about numbers. Ultimate Team makes SO MUCH MONEY for EA - hell they could still make hundreds of millions by giving the game away free. So why change things too much, it's a risk.

The community doesn't overly care, they are pretty solid in regards to constantly playing the game.

It makes money, EA are now back into minor incremental updates because it's their bottom line.

Well I can confirm they have lost my £50 this year ^_^ For me it's really not worth picking up anymore, I literally only play it for clubs and that's died off somewhat (a recent resurgance from the rllmuk group but it wont last if Fifa 19's much of the same).

I'm thinking of swapping to PS4 this year. I used to hammer clubs and loved it. Massive pity they haven't really added to it. 

Be cool if after say 100 club games you could convert your player into a FUT card! A legend of sorts, one per squad. Would give incentive to improve the mode. 

• Upvote 1

I'll try the demo but the problem is that the demo is often way off the final released version of the game as usually the community screams and wails about not enough goals or excitement or xyz, and EA patch it accordingly. I like the idea of tight games but like smith and charlie I've never enjoyed the new defending - and it was essentially bad in FIFA 18. That's why I sold it half way through the year because it's such a fundamental part of the game. I agree with Timmo that you can get better at it if you put the time and effort in and learn it's nuances, but tbh, it's virtual football, it shouldn't need you to play 500 online games and be an adept virtual finger gymnast just to defend properly. Same goes for all the skill moves.

Like most here I feel pretty disillusioned with the focus the series is taking as a whole. My main draw would have been Pro Clubs luls, but if it's unchanged what is the point in spending that £50? I wonder if other peeps will vote with their wallets in a similar way.

Depends on how you define voting with your wallet. I buy the base game and play it all year for that. Despite playing FUT, I spend nothing on that . Currently I'm still just about interested in the game to go again.

Great post Steely! I used to work away from home during the week in the glory days so used to be able to just play FIFA every night I was there. It was a full on obsession. 1v1, FTL and BAP at the same time, we were all the same!

FUT is the only mode I play now and I’ll still get 19 but only the base game, not bothering with any special editions this time around. 

I'm not a long term rllmuk member but I'd imagine the lack of changes to certain modes has kept people away over time. The thrill of clubs diminished when you constantly end up with generic players that just weren't suitable for the positions they played. Had modes like this improved, I'd imagine demand would still be high. 

I'll just say again, you may talk about voting with your wallets here; for the millions that consume ultimate team you guys don't matter.

Yes it fricking sucks yet that's how it's been going for years, it's why I stopped buying it.

I got 17 for the narrative thing and I'd just got a PS4 - plus it was second hand from the forum.

I only bought 18 because I needed to play it for a work contract.

Aside from that the glory days were indeed that, and then EA hit upon Ultimate Team; and piece by piece those other modes droped away or were unsupported.

What really galls me is that they could support them if they wanted, to thank the base players who helped build the brand from about ten years ago.

Except their data tells them it's Ultimate Team that makes the money. So that's what they focus on.

There may be a time when UT loses popularity and EA retreat and say "We should have supported the fans more, but we will now!". And thus the circle continues.

21 hours ago, Steely said:

The best Fifa days have long passed where we were all a little too passionate about it, leading to the many wonderful gates, heated debates, the 1v1 league, the match write ups, investing way to much time in choosing which team would take you to mid table obscurity, the Stattos, the website, BAP Highlight videos, BAP Post match write ups, the awesome BAP transfer systems where no manager could be trusted, choosing your BAP National team! (Which was the beginning of the end, once Fifa pulled that.) Then having to decide which player gets to use Ronaldo and which the other poor soul had to use Jose Bosingwa for the season!

Fucking glory days.

20 hours ago, AlfromSleep said:

Great post Steely! I used to work away from home during the week in the glory days so used to be able to just play FIFA every night I was there. It was a full on obsession. 1v1, FTL and BAP at the same time, we were all the same!

I remember lying to my boss about Nan/Cats dying, kids ill, boiler replacements, etc, all so I didn't have to work away from home and could be in for 10pm* on a Thursday night.  I do miss it.  As much as I miss Dreamcast Phantasy Star Online sessions, Xbox Project Gotham 2 late nights...it's a shame these games and communities die off and get replaced.  *sigh*

Glory days indeed.  <3

*9pm "practice".  :lol:

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

I remember lying to my boss about Nans/Cats dying, kids ill, boiler replacements, etc, all so I didn't have to work away from home and could be in for 10pm* on a Thursday night.  I do miss it.  As much as I miss Dreamcast Phatasy Star Online sessions, Xbox Project Gotham 2 late nights...it's a shame these games and communities die off and get replaced.  *sigh*

Glory days indeed.  <3

*9pm "practice".  :lol:

Project Gotham 2 was my first ever online addiction, can’t think of a driving game that comes close. 

Although there are a massive number of games  I could potentially get involved in, nothing will ever come close to the forum community around the leagues. Sitting at work plotting my FTL wheeling and dealing, @Wincho pestering me by text to hurry up and pick a team, build a beast squad and still get thumped by @Jamin with Dundee United players, get struck by lightning twice (lose to Goatkeeper) in one season (I blame a monster weed habit for that traumatic season:blink2:), using a custom formation and tactics with Fenerbahce

that drove @siread to smash up his controller. I could go on and on with memories since 2009, such a shame that the game itself drove so many people away from here. 

If anyone is interested, I’ve got a load of stuff on my YouTube channel going back to when I first got a PS4, mostly BAP and FTL stuff. 

https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCgY1kHQ_-h7Hej-i_YmneMA

• Upvote 4

I miss thursday night BAP in my towel. 

Do you reckon we’ve all just got a little bit older? I was in college/uni with all the free time in the world to be good at a game. 

Great memories that will last forever though. Wasn’t just Pro evo or fifa. We used to have some epic COD4 sessions. 

• Upvote 3

I'm definitely getting it again this year - purely because Molineux will FINALLY feature, and I can see Nuno gesticulating on the touchline.

I only ever bother with The Journey and Career mode though tbh - Ultimate Team doesn't really do anything for me.

@Steely articulated it brilliantly, absolutely loved those Thursday nights. Like @Mitchell, managed to dodge many a work engagement so I didn't miss my regular Thursday game. :lol:  @SaintM's sterling work on the 1v1 league also a highlight as well, but the whole Pro Clubs/OTP thing really helped bind it all together and form a community I think. 

Also, who could forget the infamous 'gate' thread?

@MardiganX with *that* back-pass ("I was mashing the wee fucking button to skip the cut-scene!"). Those were some of my favourite social gaming experiences. 

I'm flip-flopping on buying FIFA 19 at the moment, hearing no changes for Clubs was disappointing, but EA aren't really focussed on that too much given it's not a monetised game mode. However, I don't mind the Journey mode and occasional Club matches, so I might trade some stuff in for it. My gaming habits tend to lean to an hour or so on a shooter or something these days. In fact, I think finishing God of War yesterday was the first game I completed in 18 months!

• Upvote 1

Fifa 19 is massively different from 18, the game plays entirely differently, clubs hasn't changed in terms of options, but it hasn't for the last 4 years so why would anyone expect it to? Clubs wasn't the problem on 18, well other than the fact the matchmaking was broken for 3 months, but the defending was the real problem and that doesn't appear to be a problem on 19.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Fifa 19 is massively different from 18, the game plays entirely differently, clubs hasn't changed in terms of options, but it hasn't for the last 4 years so why would anyone expect it to? Clubs wasn't the problem on 18, well other than the fact the matchmaking was broken for 3 months, but the defending was the real problem and that doesn't appear to be a problem on 19.

I may even give it a shot then, I'll wait to hear a few more peoples views first though (not that I don't value yours gooner of course)

Aye very good @Bleeders Team of Legends centre back but let’s dig up THAT moment while we reminisce about the absolute golden age of online FIFA gaming :lol: fucking replays!

The community we had here for BAP and 1v1 was something special. If there was still interest I would happily spend a few hours of my working day creating match reports for the previous evenings games. Some of those write ups were Premiership match day programme levels of quality. Part of it being a thing of the past is us all having kids and life getting in the way but the direction the actual game itself has taken is mostly to blame. I tried a couple of seasons BAP after the national teams were removed but as mentioned above that was the beginning of the end.

Incredible memories of Thursday night games and Sunday night auctions. 

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1