Desperados 3

Not sure if many played the original games but these were fond favorites of mine back when I was at school.

The Shadow tactics developer Mimimi is making this one and considering they did a grand job of Shadow tactics i'm quite hopeful :)

Linky

I thought there was a thread for Shadow Tactics? I might be wrong (will have a nose in a moment).

Shadow tactics is in the same sort of mold so i'm expecting this to turn out pretty great. The originals were some of my first entries into pc gaming when I was younger, that coupled with Baldies / Skull caps which I wouldn't mind giving another go at some point if I can ever find them :)

Spent many a rainy Saturday afternoon quietly bumping off banditos with John Cooper and the gang as a kid, not to mention infiltrating Nazi U Boat pens in the Commandos games. I'm all for this glorious early noughties stealth tactics revivalist movement. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is getting good reviews all over, which is great for a genre that's all but disappeared. Didn't realise it was by the shadow tactics guys, which is also meant to be good. 

Tempted, but £50 seems steep. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd never played the original but was a big Commandos fan back in the day -- and just happened to see a YouTube trailer for this a few weeks back. Since the reviews have been so good, I picked it up on PS4. It's great!

Highly recommended if anyone is into their stealth. Might have to go back and try Shadow Tactics when I'm finished, too.

I desperately want to get this but still haven't touched Shadow Tactics. I've made a promise to myself to at least give that a bash before picking this up. 

One question for anyone playing — how often are you using guns? My stealth assumptions keep telling me to keep them holstered, but the loading screen tips seem to be encouraging me to get them out more?

I finished Chapter One last night too and finally got my guns out for the end section.

I love how showdown means you can viably go loud and have some time to plan yourself out of trouble (on my difficulty at least, I think the harder ones don’t pause?). 

• 3 weeks later...

Never played the original games but just finished Chapter One in Desperados 3. I like it so far and am looking forward to the next chapters. Why isn't there any online multiplayer in this? Seems suitable for it.

How's this for players who are new to the genre? I loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but apart from a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emeblem, that's about it for me when it comes to strategy games. And this is real-time, right - not turn-based?

Anyway, I'm intrigued to try it after reading the Edge review, and because it looks so lovely.

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

How's this for players who are new to the genre? I loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but apart from a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emeblem, that's about it for me when it comes to strategy games. And this is real-time, right - not turn-based?

Anyway, I'm intrigued to try it after reading the Edge review, and because it looks so lovely.

I’m pretty sure it would be fine if you’ve never played anything in the genre before. It starts off pretty gently, with you just controlling one guy and layers on more options as you progress and recruit more members to your team.

It is real time, but you can pause whenever you want, and there’s never really any time pressure. Most of the time I find I’m just sitting with my characters hidden somewhere while I watch enemy patrol routes, trying to figure out how to take them apart.

If you’re on the fence (and not specifically attracted to the western theme), see if you can find Shadow Tactics for cheap anywhere. It’s basically the same game, but with ninjas and samurai instead of cowboys.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished this earlier and I thought it was amazing. 

Shadow Tactics is super cheap on the PSN store (might be on GamePass also). There's also a demo of that and Desperados 3 on PSN. Highly recommended.

• 2 months later...

This is so good. Proper patient, stealthy gameplay. I’m averaging 40 mins a level but it flies by. Then you see some of the challenges and think there’s no way you’d manage them, most of them sound impossible! 

Great game, though. Highly recommended. 

I just did the wedding/escape level, which is level four I think. 

Spoiler

How you’re meant to do it without getting Kate a disguise or without using the Gatling gun I don’t know! There’s another objective to take a photo of the dead groom which would be easier if you did the other objective of killing everyone except civilians...!

I played the demo released on PS4 and loved it. Great strategy title that plays well on consoles. Will carry on playing on PS5 after I finish Ghost of Tsushima (I’m bad at multitasking).