rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
5R7

Gaming things you regret selling...

Not so much sold, but I lent a mate of mine (back in 2001 or 02) my Saturn with all my games as he was unemployed, to give him something to do. It had Panzer Dragoon Saga, Fighters Megamix, Nights (with joypad), Burning Rangers and a couple of others. 

His girlfriend went and flogged it, thinking it was his when they broke up shortly after :( 

• Empathy 3

Gamecube. Sold so much stuff when we moved here, for no real reason as some of the rubbish we did bring with us has long been been thrown away. 

I still have the screenshot of me deleting my RE4 save game off the memory card :( 

2012-09-07_1347011289.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Amiga 1500 back in 1996. I put an advert in Martins the newsagent in my town at the time. Work of art that computer was. Dual floppy drives. I originally got it from my Uncle for free, who was a shady Essex businessman, borrowed 10k off my old fella then said couldnt pay him back. 

• Empathy 1

I've sold most of my stuff at rate over the years, and while I do pine after the odd piece of it I've kept most of the pieces that had any kind of meaning.

When the Saturn was still current (and I was still a teenager!) I had a bunch of stuff that had been purchased from new - pads, light guns, the memory card, etc - as well as the box for my Mk1 Mega Drive. I'd kept all the boxes until one day my mum threw them away complaining that it was just old crap taking up space. Still had all the actual stuff but it all being boxed with all the manuals and stuff scratches a very specific itch.

• Empathy 2

Another Gamecube regretter here. I didn't even sell it, I gave it to a charity shop along with my DK bongos. I was moving and I thought "hey, I have my Wii, that does everything anyway". :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

My entire Super Famicom collection. But most of all:

All 4 Street Fighter games

All 4 Final Fight games

Rockman & Forte

Both Kiki Kai Kai games

Got less than £200 for that lot. They were all in mint condition. 

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Another Gamecube regretter here. I didn't even sell it, I gave it to a charity shop along with my DK bongos. I was moving and I thought "hey, I have my Wii, that does everything anyway". :(

I’m currently selling all of Gamecube stuff, hah! But you know what, I’m at peace with shifting it all, I’ll get a very decent price for it. I have two copies of Paper Mario 2 (UK and US), and I absolutely adore the game, but I haven’t played it since it launched. I still have those wonderful memories though, and it’s undoubtedly one of the best games I’ve ever played. I just don’t value discs and boxes like I used to, they just get in the way, especially when I need to spend another £150 if I want to play it through HDMI.

Emulation is so good these days. Most games are just as good as the original disc, only you have a decent quality image (and the option for HDMI out by default) and higher resolutions with AA. Some games are better - with 60fps and 16:9 hacks, and HD textures. And you can use the GC controller easily enough (I’m going to keep one of those). For the purists, native mode looks the same as the original console to my eyes.

I give Nintendo enough cash to keep my conscience clear. The second they release them onto the Switch or Switch 2, I’ll be buying them again to play in bed.

Sold my C64, 1541 disk drive, Action Replay cartridge and hundreds of games for about £40 in 1993. Had a SNES, so didn't need it. 

Sold the SNES with one of those disk drive things for about the same three years later.

I don't think I'd mind so much if I'd done something worthwhile with the money, but I reckon the SNES and C64 sales probably paid for a night in the pub each.

One quite galling one was: I got given a limited edition of Gran Turismo. It's was to celebrate something like 100,000,000 PS1 disks sold and came in a really nice cardboard gate fold case. It was only given to staff who worked on the game, iirc, which is why I had one. I came across it when moving house in 2002 and discovered the disk was missing. Searched through my stuff but couldn't find the disk anywhere, so figured the case was worthless by itself, and binned it. Found the limited edition disk about three years ago, in the case of my standard edition of Gran Turismo. Complete, they've sold for about £300 on eBay and PlayStation trading Facebook groups. Though I don't think I'd sell it if I had it, I'm planning on mounting the disk in a frame (in a way that it could be taken out and used)

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 4

I gave my Gamecube away to a friend for a long term loan when I left the UK years ago. Assumed I'd get it back one day but haven't really seen him much since. No idea if he still has it.

Oh well.

There’s this horrible parabola of value though, the Xbox 360 is at rock bottom price over the last couple of years and particularly on the run up to the PS4 coming out people think “I’ll sell now, get £x” because it’ll be worth nothing in a year or two. 

Then another few years pass and the value bounces back and slowly creeps up to exceed the sell price.  In some cases become hyper valuable. 

“The parabola of despair” I call it. 

I only have regrets at not selling everything when it was worth something. I’d be happy if the only gaming items in my house were the Nintendo classics.

As it is, I sold my childhood SNES and games for little more than car boot sale prices back in the day.

I still own dozens of PS3 games that I’ll never play again.

I failed at life.

I really should go and visit that attic...

Really didn't like FF2/3, so never bothered with those.

I remember my copy of FFG still had the Blockbuster sticker on it - had a mate get it for me on a visit to the States.

I probably have three Street Fighters - Jap copy of 2, US copy of Turbo and I'm not sure which of Super.

There's also an AES there somewhere with Art of Fighting and Samurai Shodown (but with a knackered scart lead, from what I recall).

3 hours ago, DC LEMON said:

I still own dozens of PS3 games that I’ll never play again.

This is the thing. I imagine they’re worth very little, but they’d have been worth very little pretty soon after release - which is probably why you still have them. I still have a few shelves worth of tat, mostly 360 games, but they’re worth £1-£2 each. It just isn’t worth putting them on eBay and paying the fees, and posting them. But I also don’t want to bin them :(

I regret getting rid of the Gamecube but realistically if I had it still it would be up in the loft unplayed for years just like my Dreamcast and Xbox.

I also feel like that about the games I got rid of, Tombi, Point Blank, Rez etc but I wouldn't be playing them.