Gaming things you regret buying...

5 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Picture the scene - it's just after Christmas, and having received a shiny new SNES as a joint present, my brother and I are stood looking at the games in the newsagents, deciding which one to spunk our Christmas money on. Mario All Stars is great, but we need something properly two player to go with it.

Oh man, this breaks my heart. I bet you were both hugely excited to get home to play it too. Opening the box, slotting the cartridge in, waiting for the title screen to load. That awful sinking feeling you get when your smiles turn to frowns, and you’ve realised you’ve just pissed away all that cash :(

Exactly one game: Thunderblade for the Amiga from Beatties’ dwindling selection for the platform, in about 1998 or something insanely late. We finally got a PlayStation (and an honest to god Pentium II PC) not too long after that.

I refuse to believe that selecting Extermination over Onimusha was an error.

On 20/08/2018 at 18:11, Jamie John said:

A SNES mini last year. I was too young to enjoy all the SNES classics when they first came out in the 90s (my first console was a PS1 that my dad bought in about 1997), so I thought that this would be a brilliant way to experience some of the games that I'd read and heard about repeatedly over the last 20 or so years. I had about three pre-orders from different sites because I was scared it was going to go OOS as quickly as the NES Mini, but I whittled this down to two a few weeks before release, one for me and one for my brother. I also bought and read the special edition of Super Play that came with Retro Gamer in anticipation.

When it arrived I thought the build quality seemed a bit cheap for £70 - a bit light and plasticky. I hooked it up, however, and started playing, for the first time ever, Super Metroid...for a bit, before getting fed up with it. I persevered for a bit longer with LLTP, but this was a game that I'd already played to death on the GBA, and after 100 hours of BotW earlier in the year I was a bit Zelda's out at this point. I tried all the other games but only stuck with Super Mario World, which I thought was definitely a seminal game, though for me not an especially enjoyable one, particularly the later levels.

I sold it in the end for about the same amount of money as what I paid for it, so economically, at least, it wasn't a huge loss. I was gutted, however, not to have loved the games more after reading so much about them. I could certainly appreciate them as being so important for their respective genres, and games in general, but I wasn't having much fun with them. I guess the thing with nostalgia consoles like this one is that you've got to have played the games in their original incarnations to get the most out of them, and seeing as I hadn't done that, the SNES mini just wasn't that special for me.

You have literally just reminded me now that I bought that magazine with Super Play and forgot  had it until I just read that now. It was on my shelf of other unread retro gamer magazines from years ago still sealed. I think I might have a candidate for this thread now. How did I forget about that. 

Probably the Neo Geo Pocket  - ie, the monochrome version. Bought it for a good wad of cash from CeX on import and then mere months later the Color came out.

I also remember convincing the guy in my old indie that the NGPC was the next coming of handhelds, which prompted him to get basically all variations and current games from his supplier. In the end, he wound up sending probably 80-90% of it back after it flopped massively. Luckily, I seem to recall he'd had a 'no-risk' deal where he could send unsold back for full cost.

PSVR, without a shadow of a doubt. I played Rez on it and it was amazing, but not 400 euros amazing.

I honestly can't think of anything gaming related I've bought ever that's been so fucking disappointing :( I had a peek at the VR stuff on the PS store a few months after I bought it and it was full of trash. I tried that shooting game at a mates house (sorry, can't remember the name of it - it was with a special gun controller) and that was fun for 20 minutes but apart from that... :(

Had such high hopes when I bought it too!

I played Carmageddon 64 longer than I've used my PSVR. Fuck :(

Sega Touring Car on the Saturn was mine. I loved Sega Rally so much and was expecting this to be a spiritual sequel, not an unplayable dog shit mess of a game.

I've still got it actually and fired it up recently to see if it's really as bad as I remember it being. Yes. Yes it is. Fucking atrocious game.

I'm generally pretty careful with purchases, especially related to games. But man, the Xbox One. Worst console I've owned, I have a PS4 now and enjoy it but wish I had got that one before the pointless xbone. If that was my only system still I would be struggling to stay interested in games at all.

I did get Stunt Race FX on the SNES as a kid. Very expensive, a bit shit.

16 hours ago, Fargo said:

Just too many games in general. Before my last year in college I knew I was playing games far to much and it was impacting my grades in a big way, I sold everything other than my ps3 and smashed my final year. At the start of this gen I just stuck with a PS4 and it was great, I enjoyed gaming and could really focus on one game at a time. Since the one x was released I’ve had more than one system again and it can get overwhelming, not just with new releases, but updates and new content for old games, BC titles, and double dipping. I really noticed it recently as my play through of God of War was interrupted by my attention being diverted to other stuff. 

For the rest of the year I’m getting Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza, BFV, Assassins Creed, Red Dead and maybe Spider-Man. No more double dipping, no more buying games on sale, and other than MCC no more replaying games after they get a content update. And one game at a time!!

Sounds like you have your problem well and truly cracked.

When I was a student I wasted a tremendous amount of my loan etc on games. I think almost certainly the worst was going into CEX Rathbone place one evening just to see what was new on the Japanese Dreamcast. Well they had Giant Gram Wrestling and I don’t know why I bought it as I don’t even like wrestling beyond that one N64 game. Probably £60. Played it once. 

Loads of shit really. But I was going through the loft one day last year and found my DJ Hero turntable which I forgot I had bought when plastic musical instruments were all the rage. It was paired with the pretty rubbish DJ Hero 1 and 2 games. You never felt like you were mixing songs at all, just pressing a few buttons and doing a bit of ‘freestyle’ scratching when the game allowed for it. 

Oh yeah, and I bought a 3D telly to play 3D games on the PS3. That was a mistake. 

Oh and an oculus rift and a PSVR. 

I remember buying some right old shite for the GameCube when I was about 12 as well. The Game Boy player dock that I used about twice to play Pokémon Blue on the old CRT we had in the loft. The GBA link cable, too. I think I used that with one game, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, so I could have the minimap on a different screen, which was entirely impractical. I also remember spending all of my pocket money one month on buying this horrible  'Gamecube station' thing from GAME. It was basically a lump of cheap plastic that the console sat on with pull out trays on the sides that you could store the mini-sized game discs in. That was about the extent of its functionality. I remember getting it home, plonking the Cube on it and then having instant buyer's regret.

I bought a load of rubbish games for it, too, that I sold but didn't make my money back on. Baten Kaitos was one. Lost Kingdoms as well, I think, a sort of card game RPG thing. And GUN. That was crap.

The Wii U. Yes it does have some good games for sure, but I just dislike it greatly. The controller is awful and the whole thing reeks of tacky. The menus are horrid and third party support weak. 

A Nintendo low point. Although I did love Mario 3D World and my daughter loved Splatoon so some fun was had. 

17 minutes ago, nakamura said:

The Wii U. Yes it does have some good games for sure, but I just dislike it greatly. The controller is awful and the whole thing reeks of tacky. The menus are horrid and third party support weak. 

A Nintendo low point. Although I did love Mario 3D World and my daughter loved Splatoon so some fun was had. 

Yeah, it has some really good games, and the jump to HD was worthwhile, but I’d have preferred a black box with the pro controller included rather than the tacky gamepad thing.

Loads of stuff. I've bought some absolute rubbish over the years, but I've always been more than ready to cut my losses and sell or trade in anything that I don't like. Once it's gone, you quickly forget about it, so that feeling of disappointment never turns into revulsion.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, it has some really good games, and the jump to HD was worthwhile, but I’d have preferred a black box with the pro controller included rather than the tacky gamepad thing.

Could have brought the cost of the console down too, maybe giving it more sales. Crap name and crap marketing too. 

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

The Wii U had issues, but I do not regret buying it at all. The gamepad was underused, but when it was used well it showed that it had amazing potential. Zombi U had a great inventory system that meant you needed to keep an eye on the pad and the screen at the same time. And Nintendoland had some very interesting stuff in it as well.

Not to mention that the console played host to some amazing Nintendo games and some of Platinum's best output.

In contrast, I regretted buying the original GBA with its terrible screen. The only game that I could enjoy on it was Advance Wars, which admittedly is one of the finest games ever made. But I upgraded to the GBA SP as soon as it came out so that I would not have to spend my time finding the perfect angle and the perfect place to be able to see a screen that was designed by somebody's guide dog.

20 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

We'd bought Rise of the Robots.

I feel your pain. I asked for this steaming pile of shit the Xmas it came out. Those graphics were amazing and the early "previews" were glowing. It was my big present that year - I was so excited...

Worst Xmas ever.

8 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

The Wii U had issues, but I do not regret buying it at all. The gamepad was underused, but when it was used well it showed that it had amazing potential. Zombi U had a great inventory system that meant you needed to keep an eye on the pad and the screen at the same time. And Nintendoland had some very interesting stuff in it as well.

Not to mention that the console played host to some amazing Nintendo games and some of Platinum's best output.

In contrast, I regretted buying the original GBA with its terrible screen. The only game that I could enjoy on it was Advance Wars, which admittedly is one of the finest games ever made. But I upgraded to the GBA SP as soon as it came out so that I would not have to spend my time finding the perfect angle and the perfect place to be able to see a screen that was designed by somebody's guide dog.

The Wii u gave the world Splatoon. And for that alone I can forgive it any number of sins.

I regret buying an SD card reader to transfer my 3DS stuff to a bigger card.

Only the next week I discovered that what I thought was a, never used, eject button for my laptop's disc tray was actually a built in SD reader.

picardfacepalm.gif