rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MattyP

Gaming things you regret buying...

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

xbox_hd_dvd_big.jpg.b9ca4e9a8e709f0e355590b488787d6c.jpg

...And a fairly extensive collection of HD-DVDs to go with it (Batman Begins was my first - £24.99 it cost me).

Although, I dunno, I loved it at the time. HD is everywhere these days, but this was like a real glimpse into the future. I'd have been better off getting a PS3 and going for Blu-Ray though, which did happen eventually.

Have to agree. I paid a couple hundred to get mine from Dixons. I remember it being tough to get too since stock was short. Handful of movies at £20-30 a pop and I had it all hooked up to my 720p TV!

Only thing that was worth it in the end was I took advantage of a HMV glitch when they were cleaning the HD-DVD stock. Got 30 movies for 99p each.

A Gamecube and an XBox instead of a PS2. Not that the GB and XB didn't have some good stuff on them, but clearly they were the backup consoles that generation, not the main event.

The original GBA. I mean, it just didn't fucking work did it? Unless I was sitting on the toilet where the light was directly overhead. Fortunately, the GBA SP was great.

5 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The original GBA. I mean, it just didn't fucking work did it? Unless I was sitting on the toilet where the light was directly overhead. Fortunately, the GBA SP was great.

Horrid. I sat there with Mario Advance 2 and 3, wondering how on Earth I was going to play them.

A Thrustmaster TX leather edition steering wheel and Wheel Pro Stand. Not factoring Amazon sending me the wrong stand not once, but twice and associated work returning the damn things, I estimate that with the amount of time I’ve used it, it’s cost me about £26 per minute.

• Upvote 1

On the 360 HD DVD drive, I regret buying that, too. Some guy on here was selling it and never sent it and ripped me and quite a few others off. Anyone remember that?

GBC. It was an okay handheld, had hundreds of hours on it, but outside of Pokemon it was a pointless handheld really. Save the £100 in 2000 and play it the games on the Pocket instead. No GBC exclusive captured me, and the hidden gems I didn't discover till many years later/YouTube.

Ive had quite a few gaming mistakes over the years but I reckon the absolute worst was The Sega Menacer which I got for my 13th birthday.

It came with 6 free games, one of which was a Toe Jam and Earl shooter in the vein in of Operation Wolf with tomatoes fr bullets, but the Menacer Gun didn’t calibrate that well and all the games were pretty poor.

From memory, the only decent game that worked well with it was Terminator 2 The Arcade Game.

I quickly got rid and flogged it to someone at school.

• Upvote 1

Very little, I'm pleased to report, but definitely the PAL PS2. 

I bought and adored the Dreamcast, with its bright colours, 60hz on pretty much everything and relatively good value VMUs. Oh, and the minor thing that was the Internet and online gaming. 

Despite the hype, the PlayStation successor looked muddy, had weird RGB issues because of bonkers DVD copy protection, the memory cards were crazy expensive and everything ran at molasses-slow PAL framerates with huge borders. And no online games for you, sonny Jim. 

They retrospectively fixed a lot of these things, especially the 60hz, but at least in the first few months - maybe even a year - it was a bit of a dog. 

• Empathy 2

13 hours ago, Down by Law said:

If you loved pick up and play games or arcade ports the Dreamcast was the greatest console you could own. For other genres though...not so much. Outside of the two Shenmue's and Code Veronica I can't remember any other major story based games on it.

I loved arcade gaming though so getting a new fighting game on a seemingly weekly basis was like heaven

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

Skies of Arcadia, Headhunter and Grandia II are the big ones that spring to mind, but yeah, that wasn't its focus.

Also Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

I was in a bit of a rush earlier so didn't get to mention my regrets; despite decades of gaming (and having meaningful input on the games I got to receive since the very early nineties), there are relatively few games-related purchases I genuinely regret. A few occasions where I've had mild regrets about paying full whack for something, but for the most part I've managed to wring enjoyment out of them, or at the very least trade them in swiftly for something better.

The rare exceptions, then, have been things that I was overly hyped up for and thus painfully disappointed by (and, unsurprisingly enough, tend to have been released when I was in my early/mid-teens when emotions and enthusiasm were high, and new games were a rare treat):

• Final Fantasy VII was a huge disappointment after the massive praise it had got; as a non-Playstation owner I had to wait an age for it to turn up on PC, and when it did I was delighted... until I played it. It felt like nothing had moved on since I'd played the Phantasy Star games, aside from glitzier visuals (and mopier characters), and I was severely underwhelmed. At least the music was great.
  • You can take most of what I said about the above, and transplant in the words 'Metal Gear Solid'. Same wait, same excitement, same disappointment. It was like Thief, if Thief was shit and had snazzier cutscenes. It was at about this point that I was beginning to wonder whether any Playstation exclusives were actually any good.
  • Shining Force III I was extremely excited for, and - despite even at the time recognising that the 3D graphics were drastically inferior to the Mega Drive game's sprites - was delighted with it when I first played it. This was it, this was more of the tactical RPG goodness that I craved... and then it ended. Abruptly. And then I discovered that this was but the first episode of a trilogy, that had been cropped to a single release for the Western market, and that I'd never get an actual conclusion. Fuming, I was. (I would also have regrets on the other side, having sold the game for a relative pittance compared to what it would command in later years, meaning I would never re-purchase it, never replay and enjoy it with the forewarning of its ending. Double the regret, hurrah!)
  • And, finally, Half-Life was the biggest disappointment of all. I got it at launch, having gone into town on successive weekends looking for it in the shops (it overshot the release date that had been published in magazines). The reviews had been adulatory, praising the innovative storytelling; the next-level, reactive AI; the fascinating, tricky pseudo-boss puzzles to overcome. After the additional, unexpected wait I was absolutely buzzing to finally play it. And even worse, the game started so promisingly: the in-game storytelling was genuinely a step-up, the entire opening masterfully done! This was clearly the classic the magazines had made it out to be! But then I played a bit further, and the game started to get more combat focus, and it swiftly became clear that good Christ the AI had been oversold. Everything was so scripted, so signposted - it was like they'd taken all the ideas that had worked for the narrative, and applied them to the combat as well, making it desultorily unchallenging and predictable. And the boss puzzles literally amounted to 'walk slowly in this bit'. I was fuming. Fortunately I'm not the kind to hold a grudge, and absolutely don't harbour a chip on my shoulder about the whole thing.

I spent £1200 on the world’s worst PC in Dixon’s to play it, I had been using Macs 10 years and just didn’t have a clue, but I still think it was worth it!

The Atari Jaguar. I hyped myself up so much about that console, reading up on everything about it, genuinely thinking it was going to be awesome because it was 64bit. 

Destiny. A prime example of marketing over an actual game. Utterly vapid and exchangable.

Xbox 360. Not as much because of the games, but primarily because of all the hardware misery it brought me. I've had 6 different 360 consoles in the end. All of them broke down. One even broke down within a day. Forget about the Xbox One Mattrick-presentation; it was the shoddy 360-hardware that made me reject Microsoft's console efforts. Just completely fed up.

Game Boy Color. It gave me a few extra colours in Harvest Moon, but I almost instantly regretted exchanging my Game Boy Pocket for one. The design of it was just a bit shit even though it clearly had a better screen.

• Upvote 2

After only ever enjoying Arcade racing games, and caring little about the inner workings of cars, I nevertheless bought Dirt Rally after seeing it described as the Dark Souls of car games. I didn't even finish the tutorials.

• Empathy 1

12 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Wasn't it supposed to be released at the same time as the Playstation but Sega shat the bed and brought the release forward by a few months?  I distinctly remember seeing an add in Empire about the Saturn that teased an early release.

Yep:

In March 1995, Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske announced that the Saturn would be released in the U.S. on "Saturnday" (Saturday) September 2, 1995.[47][48] However, Sega of Japan mandated an early launch to give the Saturn an advantage over the PlayStation.[49]At the first Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles on May 11, 1995, Kalinske gave a keynote presentation in which he revealed the release price of US$399 (including a copy of Virtua Fighter[50]), and described the features of the console. Kalinske also revealed that, due to "high consumer demand",[51] Sega had already shipped 30,000 Saturns to Toys "R" Us, Babbage's, Electronics Boutique, and Software Etc. for immediate release.[47] The announcement upset retailers who were not informed of the surprise release, including Best Buy and Walmart;[24][52][53] KB Toysresponded by dropping Sega from its lineup.[47] Sony subsequently unveiled the retail price for the PlayStation: Sony Computer Entertainment America president Steve Race took the stage, said "$299", and then walked away to applause.[24][54][55] The Saturn's release in Europe also came before the previously announced North American date, on July 8, 1995, at a price of ₤399.99.[14]European retailers and press did not have time to promote the system or its games, harming sales.[56] After the PlayStation's European launch on September 29, it had already outsold the Saturn by a factor of three in the United Kingdom by early November 1995, where it was reported that Sony allocated ₤20 million to market the system during the holiday season compared to Sega's ₤4 million.[57][58]

A Nintendo Virtual Boy.

Spent a small fortune getting hold of it, only to not be able to calibrate it. I knew my eyes were dodgy, I didn't realise I have stereo blindness, so it was a complete waste of time.

I did manage to sell it on though, so all wasn't lost.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

A nintendo 64. I just never ever really got the point of it, didn't get the games like I should have done.

And that's from someone that bought into the panasonic 3do hook line and sinker.

49 minutes ago, marsh said:

A nintendo 64. I just never ever really got the point of it, didn't get the games like I should have done.

And that's from someone that bought into the panasonic 3do hook line and sinker.

Mate... that's just wrong.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, linkster said:

I spent £1200 on the world’s worst PC in Dixon’s to play it, I had been using Macs 10 years and just didn’t have a clue, but I still think it was worth it!

Thankfully I was far too young at that point to buy my own PC, so was just using my dad's machine (a Pentium II 200, I think).

And for Christmas I'd get Thief, and thus get to play a first person game with exactly the kind of clever, open level design and meaningful, trickable (if limited) AI that I'd been hoping for, so the end of year wasn't a bust! 

32 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

A Sega Master system (after owning Atari's)

This- Which rapidly got returned as the game was rubbish!

image.png.fe653424708166301a08e5b9a0be147f.png

The game might have been guff, but at least it was something of an investment......?Mines still stashed in it's box, couldn't get past level 3.

Just too many games in general. Before my last year in college I knew I was playing games far to much and it was impacting my grades in a big way, I sold everything other than my ps3 and smashed my final year. At the start of this gen I just stuck with a PS4 and it was great, I enjoyed gaming and could really focus on one game at a time. Since the one x was released I’ve had more than one system again and it can get overwhelming, not just with new releases, but updates and new content for old games, BC titles, and double dipping. I really noticed it recently as my play through of God of War was interrupted by my attention being diverted to other stuff. 

For the rest of the year I’m getting Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza, BFV, Assassins Creed, Red Dead and maybe Spider-Man. No more double dipping, no more buying games on sale, and other than MCC no more replaying games after they get a content update. And one game at a time!!

• Empathy 2