MattyP

Gaming things you regret buying...

OK so what have you bought gaming related that you regret over the years?

Main ones for me:-

Atari Jaguar

Well it looked promising at the time. Had Doom, AvP and T2K on it. :)

Steam Controller

Had this on pre-order used it three or four times and found it really frustrating. Not used since and still packed away somewhere.

Elite Dangerous

Bought this on release. Not realising it was always online my internet line at the time was a bit ropey in that I could never get a persistant connection so kept dropping me back to the start screen loosing all progress. Did it pretty much every time I played it so made no progress on it and ditched it. Never played it since.

WIng Commander 3

Bought this on the PC back in the day. Ran like crap on my PC despite meeting the requirements. Turns out 8MB of RAM was very optimistic for running it as was a 486 DX266 at the time. Always made me wary of buying PC games after this. (game really needed 16MB RAM and a Pentium). Looked pretty though and oh boy I got to see the pretties as it was running around 5-10fps on my machine.... FMV was cool too at the time. Its a somewhat intresting turn of events these days where pretty much all PCs are overspecced for games released as the targets are consoles (in effect lower powered PCs). Which is both a good thing and a bad thing as you rarely get anything that really pushes the PC hardware.

Think these were the biggest regrets! Probably have some game specific regrets over the years....

New Nintendo 3DS. Only game I could stand on a screen that size was Box Boy which is all sorts of lovely. Everything else was a massive ball ache, especially Monster Hunter. Impossible to play.

• Upvote 1

Foolishly bought a Nintendo DS on launch without considering the possibility of newer, better models being released. It’s the main reason I still don’t own a 3DS.

I also bought a 360 fighting game stick for Street Fighter but couldn’t deal with the stick’s wobbly travel at all. Six-button pads 4eva!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sega Dreamcast. :coffee:

Guessing you bought it on release and paid full price for everything?

Great machine for sure though... but shame about what happened to Sega so can see why you'd regret getting one...

If you loved pick up and play games or arcade ports the Dreamcast was the greatest console you could own. For other genres though...not so much. Outside of the two Shenmue's and Code Veronica I can't remember any other major story based games on it.

I loved arcade gaming though so getting a new fighting game on a seemingly weekly basis was like heaven

• Upvote 3

Nintendo Switch.  After the amazing time I had playing Mario Odyssey I found that I really just don't understand Zelda (it's just too big and I need pointers, and I'm very happy to admit that it is a great game and just not for me), and Mario Kart (loved it on the SNES but these days I think other games have done the same thing better and it's not the essential purchase it used to be).  Having been disappointed overall with my choice of games, I find it's still inside it's carry case from the last time I took it out and I just don't seem to have the motivation to reconnect it to the TV.  For my portable gaming needs the modded Vita with a memory card filled with classic games has removed the last reason for me to carry the Switch around.  

• Empathy 1

For my birthday one year I was allowed to pick any game for my Saturn from the shop. I narrowed it to two games: one which I'd played at a friend's house and one which I'd never heard of but looked really good.

I picked the former: Duke Nukem 3D.

The latter was Panzer Dragoon Saga. :facepalm: 

I still got some fun from DN3D despite the remorse that came from researching Saga though, and those few years (and disc one being packaged with Sega Saturn Magazine) allowed PDS to build up hype until I got it further down the road, so I ended up appreciating it more. :)

• Upvote 5

Still have my HD-DVD player. A lot of the Warner Brothers releases suffer from rot though, so a bunch of discs have stopped working over time. 

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

xbox_hd_dvd_big.jpg.b9ca4e9a8e709f0e355590b488787d6c.jpg

...And a fairly extensive collection of HD-DVDs to go with it (Batman Begins was my first - £24.99 it cost me).

Although, I dunno, I loved it at the time. HD is everywhere these days, but this was like a real glimpse into the future. I'd have been better off getting a PS3 and going for Blu-Ray though, which did happen eventually.

This was my first thought too!  It was amazing at the time. The aircraft carrier-esque fan noise the 360 blared out really added to the atmosphere of any HD film!!

• Upvote 1

A SNES mini last year. I was too young to enjoy all the SNES classics when they first came out in the 90s (my first console was a PS1 that my dad bought in about 1997), so I thought that this would be a brilliant way to experience some of the games that I'd read and heard about repeatedly over the last 20 or so years. I had about three pre-orders from different sites because I was scared it was going to go OOS as quickly as the NES Mini, but I whittled this down to two a few weeks before release, one for me and one for my brother. I also bought and read the special edition of Super Play that came with Retro Gamer in anticipation.

When it arrived I thought the build quality seemed a bit cheap for £70 - a bit light and plasticky. I hooked it up, however, and started playing, for the first time ever, Super Metroid...for a bit, before getting fed up with it. I persevered for a bit longer with LLTP, but this was a game that I'd already played to death on the GBA, and after 100 hours of BotW earlier in the year I was a bit Zelda's out at this point. I tried all the other games but only stuck with Super Mario World, which I thought was definitely a seminal game, though for me not an especially enjoyable one, particularly the later levels.

I sold it in the end for about the same amount of money as what I paid for it, so economically, at least, it wasn't a huge loss. I was gutted, however, not to have loved the games more after reading so much about them. I could certainly appreciate them as being so important for their respective genres, and games in general, but I wasn't having much fun with them. I guess the thing with nostalgia consoles like this one is that you've got to have played the games in their original incarnations to get the most out of them, and seeing as I hadn't done that, the SNES mini just wasn't that special for me.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

If you loved pick up and play games or arcade ports the Dreamcast was the greatest console you could own. For other genres though...not so much. Outside of the two Shenmue's and Code Veronica I can't remember any other major story based games on it.

Skies of Arcadia, Headhunter and Grandia II are the big ones that spring to mind, but yeah, that wasn't its focus.

• Upvote 4

Plenty of games , but nothing on the hardware front , and I’ve bought a lot .

Ive only ever tried to return a game once . Blue max on the spectrum . Fuckers wouldn’t take it back though . 

I agree. I only really played one game on the Wii and that was Excite Truck. Loved that. But mainly because steering didn't require large movements.

Choosing a Sega Saturn over a PlayStation in 1996 was a huge regret at the time.

I wasn’t truly happy again until I traded the Saturn for an N64 in 1998

I did learn to appreciate the Saturn in my later years and went on to build an impressive import collection.

I only got rid of my Wii recently.  To be honest the only thing making me hold onto it were the two Resident Evil gun games and HOTD: Overkill.  The Wii U will be next.  The way things are going closely followed by the Switch I'm afraid.  

Two spare chrome series 360 controllers just before MS made just about every game I own digitally backwards compatible.

• Empathy 1

I handed £400 notes over for the Saturn on launch day in 1995.  Not before I dropped said £400 all over the floor of Electronics Boutique in Ayr as I handed it to the guy at the counter.  I should have taken it as a sign.

Having said that I had many happy times with my Saturn.  VF1 and 2, Daytona (I know but I loved it), Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon, Nights, Bug, the Saturn version of Wipeout, Virtua Cop etc... Although being the first disc based console I owned I was convinced that there was something wrong with it because the drive was a bit noisy.

Resident Evil was the straw that broke the camels back. I traded the Saturn towards a Playstation.  I have very fond memories of it though.

Wasn't it supposed to be released at the same time as the Playstation but Sega shat the bed and brought the release forward by a few months?  I distinctly remember seeing an add in Empire about the Saturn that teased an early release.

• Upvote 1

Here's some more plastic tat:

Xbox-360-Kinect-Standalone.png

Has nobody mentioned this exquisite piece of shit yet? Within a few minutes I regretted it, after I realised the thing just didn't work, and the games weren't fun. I bought a few more games to play on it, but quickly gave up. It got shoved into a box shortly after.

ImgW.ashx?fd=f15&cd=MSX1014

The software that accompanied the PS Move controllers was so bad, I traded it all in after a week or so. Yeah, I can imagine families across the country were getting involved in a bit of virtual archery. They've had a resurgence thanks to the PS VR, and I've bought some more since, but they're still a bit crap.

• Upvote 3

I was in a bit of a rush earlier so didn't get to mention my regrets; despite decades of gaming (and having meaningful input on the games I got to receive since the very early nineties), there are relatively few games-related purchases I genuinely regret. A few occasions where I've had mild regrets about paying full whack for something, but for the most part I've managed to wring enjoyment out of them, or at the very least trade them in swiftly for something better.

The rare exceptions, then, have been things that I was overly hyped up for and thus painfully disappointed by (and, unsurprisingly enough, tend to have been released when I was in my early/mid-teens when emotions and enthusiasm were high, and new games were a rare treat):

• Final Fantasy VII was a huge disappointment after the massive praise it had got; as a non-Playstation owner I had to wait an age for it to turn up on PC, and when it did I was delighted... until I played it. It felt like nothing had moved on since I'd played the Phantasy Star games, aside from glitzier visuals (and mopier characters), and I was severely underwhelmed. At least the music was great.
  • You can take most of what I said about the above, and transplant in the words 'Metal Gear Solid'. Same wait, same excitement, same disappointment. It was like Thief, if Thief was shit and had snazzier cutscenes. It was at about this point that I was beginning to wonder whether any Playstation exclusives were actually any good.
  • Shining Force III I was extremely excited for, and - despite even at the time recognising that the 3D graphics were drastically inferior to the Mega Drive game's sprites - was delighted with it when I first played it. This was it, this was more of the tactical RPG goodness that I craved... and then it ended. Abruptly. And then I discovered that this was but the first episode of a trilogy, that had been cropped to a single release for the Western market, and that I'd never get an actual conclusion. Fuming, I was. (I would also have regrets on the other side, having sold the game for a relative pittance compared to what it would command in later years, meaning I would never re-purchase it, never replay and enjoy it with the forewarning of its ending. Double the regret, hurrah!)
  • And, finally, Half-Life was the biggest disappointment of all. I got it at launch, having gone into town on successive weekends looking for it in the shops (it overshot the release date that had been published in magazines). The reviews had been adulatory, praising the innovative storytelling; the next-level, reactive AI; the fascinating, tricky pseudo-boss puzzles to overcome. After the additional, unexpected wait I was absolutely buzzing to finally play it. And even worse, the game started so promisingly: the in-game storytelling was genuinely a step-up, the entire opening masterfully done! This was clearly the classic the magazines had made it out to be! But then I played a bit further, and the game started to get more combat focus, and it swiftly became clear that good Christ the AI had been oversold. Everything was so scripted, so signposted - it was like they'd taken all the ideas that had worked for the narrative, and applied them to the combat as well, making it desultorily unchallenging and predictable. And the boss puzzles literally amounted to 'walk slowly in this bit'. I was fuming. Fortunately I'm not the kind to hold a grudge, and absolutely don't harbour a chip on my shoulder about the whole thing.
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 8
  • Empathy 1

The Wii, the N64 and the GCN. Bought every game that got amazing reviews for each of them and finally come to the realisation that post SNES Nintendo bar the handhelds was not for me. Fucking hated motion controls with all my soul.