Playmaji's Polymega

9 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I've only noticed one evangelist myself, Damien McFerran from Nintendo Life, Proudly dumping huge chunks of his physical collections into a machine. 

that guy is worse than John Hancock at the moment.

did he get a free machine or are they actually paying him to tweet that crap?

2 hours ago, ulala said:

that guy is worse than John Hancock at the moment.

did he get a free machine or are they actually paying him to tweet that crap?

To be fair, I think if you own a massive collection there might be something pretty attractive about being able to condense much of it into one neat, plug n' play device. 

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about shills, ulala. Any room for some of them being easily hyped hobbyists in your judgement? The retro community's already a nest of nostalgia drones getting too invested in an inconsequential, greedy, childish pursuit - and I include strong, repeated opinions about villains of the piece, (e.g. YouTubers such as Hancock) in that.

Not to mention that they're constantly on the lookout for video subjects and crowd-pleasing additions to the retro market to cover that'll get eyes on their channel - retro being an area that's comparatively finite to the ongoing and constant news of today's games.

• 3 months later...

Well, I've just bought one. :lol:

I just hope it keeps to its February release date.  :unsure:

For me, I have loads of games for different systems (cartridges, CD's).

Now that Scart connectors are disappearing from TV's, I don't want to be messing around with OSSC's etc..

I just want one box under my TV that can play them all via HDMI that looks better than using a raspberry Pi or similar.

Also the extra controllers look really cool.

I'm really interested in it for the CD based stuff like Saturn, PS1 and Neo Geo CD.

• 4 weeks later...

I know some of you here have a preorder for the Polymega. Although I doubt anyone here has a preorder in with Walmart I thought this was worth posting. In short, Playmaji are asking people to cancel their order with Walmart & reorder through them directly. This would be raising red flags with me, regardless of where you preordered.

https://polymega.com/blogs/system-software-updates/important-update-for-na-walmart-customers

• 1 month later...

It's toast. They are running away with the money and a shame to see they are still selling it to people, few have been on their twitter feed hoping it would arrive soon.

I'm still keeping the faith for now. I ordered through WorldWideDistribution.de who seem to be a far more reputable company so I think I probably stand a good chance of getting my money back if I need to.

It does have a whiff of Vega+ about it.

What I think has happened is that they have burnt through the pre-order cash and are desperately trying to get more money to fufill orders.

I find it strange that some non youtubers have received theirs already unless there was a small initial production run.

meanewhile, over on twitter, some guy offered the opinion they were

actively shipping final units to people now, I’ve seen the photos of them arriving

then I asked for photos, he posted two pictures of his and said there were other photos in 

a private beta 

that he wasn't comfortable sharing so I asked

is that the FPGA version, of the Pi-in-a-box?

but that's me being passive aggressive, apparently. Then they said it was ok to enjoy shit, and deleted their tweets. :blink:

12 hours ago, AceGrace said:

I find it strange that some non youtubers have received theirs already unless there was a small initial production run.

This also happened with Vega.

But thanks for being our canary. :)

13 hours ago, SeanR said:

guys, it's ok, it's the <checks notes> civil unrest in Burma Myanmar, where the consoles are being assembled.

sorry, I panicked

image.png.df6671b0a9b8afbf91ecd34ab45f2182.png

I thought you were joking, but that’s the actual excuse they’re using. :wacko: Fucking hell.