grindmouse

Apple Pencil & Procreate - iPad Pro versus iPad 9.7?

Thought it quicker to ask here than ATF.

I see the Apple Pencil is now supported by the standard iPad, at a much more reasonable price point.

Technically is there any difference in performance between the  Procreate app and Pencil functionality on a Pro compared to standard iPad?

Obviously the Pro has more power, but in real terms unless you're working on massive files, is there any practical difference?

5 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Thought it quicker to ask here than ATF.

I see the Apple Pencil is now supported by the standard iPad, at a much more reasonable price point.

Technically is there any difference in performance between the  Procreate app and Pencil functionality on a Pro compared to standard iPad?

Obviously the Pro has more power, but in real terms unless you're working on massive files, is there any practical difference?

Not really, if you haven't used  a Pro I doubt you experience any difference at all. For me it feels the same.   Nice Ghostbusters avatar too.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

The main ones I notice are the faster refresh rate on the pro and the laminated display. Both make drawing on the pro feel a lot more ‘natural’ to me.

I assume the laminated display could be replicated with a screen protector, but the 120hz refresh rate is a pretty big deal. Looking at comparison videos the difference is significant.

I will try one next time I'm near an Apple store, but I think I'll have to wait until the Pro technology comes down in price, or they add Pencil support for the Macbooks.

Thanks both for the quick responses.

51 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I assume the laminated display could be replicated with a screen protector, but the 120hz refresh rate is a pretty big deal. Looking at comparison videos the difference is significant.

I will try one next time I'm near an Apple store, but I think I'll have to wait until the Pro technology comes down in price, or they add Pencil support for the Macbooks.

Thanks both for the quick responses.

The lamination has a greater effect here.. it’s the distance between the glass the pencil touches and the digitiser beneath. On the 9.7 there’s a noticeably larger gap. Definitely worth looking at in person because all of these benefits are relative. 

• Upvote 1