Generation Zero - New Open-World Game from Avalanche Studios set in 1980's Sweden

header.jpg?t=1548341313

Official Site | Steam

Release date:  March 26th, 2019

Wasn't sure what to make of this after the initial announcement but the gameplay trailer makes it look like a fun romp at least. No idea if the actual gameplay has any more depth to it other than "shoot the robots" but then again it's Avalanche; they manage to make the most basic of mechanics entertaining. Hype level: 65/100

It's a setting that could make for a really nice linear story-based FPS but 'open world' is just such a turn off for me now. It'll be a map-ticking collect-a-thon extravaganza, just like they all are.

Edit - and I'll buy it, play it for five hours then forget about it, just like I always do :facepalm:

50 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

It's a setting that could make for a really nice linear story-based FPS but 'open world' is just such a turn off for me now. It'll be a map-ticking collect-a-thon extravaganza, just like they all are.

Edit - and I'll buy it, play it for five hours then forget about it, just like I always do :facepalm:

Does it have a camp French android? No? Then I'll stick to Binary Domain for my 'shooting robots in the face' fix, then.

• 5 months later...

Robopocalyptic co-op shooter Generation Zero – latest from Just Cause studio Avalanche – arrives on March 26th. The open world shooter may have previously drawn comparisons to Left 4 Dead, but after playing around with a beta version last year, I think this one stands out from the crowd by being a far more open, quieter and more tactical shooter. Chunky industrial-looking robots have taken over a Swedish island, and only a band of four very 80s youths can scavenge up the firepower to clear out the machines, one hot-zone at a time.

The Generation Zero beta felt remarkably lonely, reminding me (pleasantly) of Arma 3 and STALKER. Even in the small strip of land the beta was restricted to, it’s large enough to get comprehensively lost. Aside from up to three other players, there wasn’t a single human to be found – no quest-givers, no cutscenes, just a map of possible locations to explore. The robots themselves felt interesting to fight as well, only going down after being shot in key components. You could pour a thousand bullets into a non-essential part of a machine and achieve nothing, and headshots aren’t always the way to go. They actually feel like machines, no matter how animalistic some behave.

The beta had some issues too, of course. Its bugs ranged from deeply annoying (my character forgetting how to heal themselves) to hilarious (a floating patch of grass launching me a hundred feet into the sky), and I’ve got my fingers crossed that they’ve hammered out the worst of the dents by launch. I also feel it’s an interesting change of pace for Avalanche – it’s an oddly quiet and restrained game, especially considering that you’re meant to be fighting a war against an army of killbots. Hard to believe it’s from the same studio as Just Cause and the upcoming Rage 2 – I’m hoping it finds its niche when it launches later this spring.

Generation Zero launches on March 26th for £30/$35/$35, and you can find it here on Steam. You can find a bit more (including peeks at quasi-humanoid and massive quadruped bots that weren’t in the beta) on its official page here.

source

So perhaps this is far smaller in scope than we initially assumed? From that tidbit above it seems GZ is more along the lines of Sir, You Are Being Hunted and The Signal From Tölva rather than a Far Cry Sweden. Still curious to see what this thing will end up like though. 

• 1 month later...

I used to live in Sweden and speak the language so have a close personal attachment to the country. Playing an open-world game set there holds quite a unique appeal and just watching some of those videos and seeing the traditional red-painted slatted wood houses and pine forests is hugely evocative. I’ll have to check this out at some point I think. Although it does look decidedly mid-tier in terms of budget and variety, that’s not necessarily a bad thing in this age of the relentless triple-A blockbuster.

The Eurogamer review was kind of stupid, in that it seems to have been reviewed mainly in single player when the game is clearly designed and marketed to be team co-op. Not that the criticisms aren't valid though. Kind of dissappointed there isn't more to the game as I love the premise, the robot design and the open world. And the decision to not allow you to progress with your friends is totally baffling.

Its pretty dull. There really is endless exploring of houses. Its like Just Cause, where you had tons of bases. But instead of blowing shit up, you have to search for things.

So if you prefer searching for things then blowing stuff up then it'll be right up ya' street.

Sadly that numbs the atmosphere really and thats a shame as it has elements of cold war errieness at times. But Eurogamer is spot on IMO

4 player MP is better as you can search for things four times faster. Which is exciting eh?

Initial foray was enjoyable but not revolutionary. The robots are challenging but the wandering around gathering stuff just feels like Fortnight in slow mo. Unsurprisingly the external environments are really nice but the interiors are pretty basic.

Trying to outwit the robots could be interesting and the online could be great, but…

My first experience was not good. I joined a match (you can't select which match) only to be spawned at my last see point from the single player game, which was MILES away from the other two players. There doesn't seem to be a way of quickly joining them so that's a really shit design decision.

I'll keep going as I do like the atmosphere. Hopefully they'll update it to make that multi-player a Biot more accessible.

I had a little mess around on this last night. Playing solo is incredibly slow paced, but I kind of liked it, avoiding or fleeing from any engagement, slowly. quietly looting houses and stuff (they can hear you!!). Managed to snag a shotgun and a rifle with a cracked 4x scope and generally had a very chilled out time. I like that there's no waypoints so you have to really explore and really dig into the quest notes for location clues. The whole game feels a little basic. Like Mech Far Cry meets Dear Esther or something.

It looks and runs brilliantly for me on my now mid-end PC.

• 4 months later...
On 22/08/2019 at 13:50, Mr Do 71 said:

This is free to play this weekend, on Xbox.

I installed it and after an hour or so gave up on it.

The above posts are spot on it's just very dull.

After getting the shotgun in the church I found that I could avoid most of the robots but found myself fighting them out of boredom from having to pedal my push-bike to the farm which was miles away.

I may give it another go but as I type this I have no great desire to do so. 

• 6 months later...

So this has improved dramatically since I tried it just after launch. The setting really intrigued me, but the slow pace and unfinished feel meant I dropped it initially after 4 or 5 hours.

After picking it up again on Sunday and starting over it's clear that they have been putting a lot of work into this. The opening is far more streamlined, the combat feels better, guns and ammo are more plentiful. It's the game I hoped it would be when I picked it up.

In fact after 10 hours or so, I haven't had this much fun with a game in ages. It's the Swedish Stranger Things does Far Cry game with mechs I always wanted.

• 1 year later...

Picked this up in the Easter Xbox sale (£8.50) and been having such a blast with this esp in co-op with my usual gaming buddies.

I like how there is very little hand holding and that it’s basically tense from the start with no let down constantly being hunted or out gunned.  Plus finding the robot ai pretty decent - trying to flank us or even lure us into traps

We've had some great late evenings playing this.  I had dismissed this after the trailers and middling reviews, coming to it now when its been updated and it plays really well. 

Effortless co-op, spooky atmosphere and mental fights with big bastard robots. 

Been after it for a while, but I just can't play at 30fps now. I doubt it will see an update for series x either. 

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Been after it for a while, but I just can't play at 30fps now. I doubt it will see an update for series x either. 

Honestly I wouldn’t let that put you off the game still looks gorgeous and it’s a lot of fun to play (if relentless killer robots stalking you is your thing ) - and for £8 It’s a bargain