Sarlaccfood

IGN writer busted copying other people's reviews

He got caught on their Dead Cells review but looks like people are finding more:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/08/11/former-ign-reviewer-responds-to-plagiarism-allegations-not-at-all-intentional

Mental that anyone would try this in this day and age, or maybe it happens all the time and it's actually quite easy to get away with?

Anyway he promptly got sacked but er...still refuses to apologise. 

I don't quite get why someone would do this. Surely it would take more effort to watch the video, type out the voiceover, and then change it slightly than it would to just watch the video, imagine whether you'd enjoy playing it or not, note the salient points of criticism, and then just bang out a review that covered them? 

• Upvote 3

Pro-tip: If your teacher ever accuses you of plagiarising an essay and you try the 'I must have been subconsciously influenced by other sources' defence, it won't work there either.

The whole point of reviews is to deliver a personal opinion of a forthcoming product - if you can’t be arsed to do that then you might as well pinch bits from the press release or back of the box - at least other writers aren’t getting screwed. ;) 

(something something ethics in journalism)

11 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

This also kind of highlights for me how much videogame reviews may as well be assembled from fridge magnets of a few worn cliches.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, K said:

I don't quite get why someone would do this. Surely it would take more effort to watch the video, type out the voiceover, and then change it slightly than it would to just watch the video, imagine whether you'd enjoy playing it or not, note the salient points of criticism, and then just bang out a review that covered them? 

It probably depends how hard you find writing.

Well I imagine he'll become a hero of the alt-right now and get a job at Breitbart or somewhere. 

Which is ironic given the "ethics in games journalism" bollocks they were trotting out during gamer gate. 

• Upvote 1

Turns out a thread was on the GG subreddit buried beneath a bunch of anti feminist bollocks. The final proof that gamergate was always about wanting women and minorities out of games. 

• Upvote 1

Engadget: Samus can still shoot up, down and diagonally, but holding R activates a precision-aiming mode with full range of motion and a targeting laser. There’s also a new counter-attack move that can knock back an enemy. Time it just right, and it’ll throw an attacker off balance and set them up as a perfect target.

Miucin: In terms of combat, Samus can of course still shoot up, down, and diagonally, but holding R now activates a precision aiming mode that allows for full range of motion and some extremely precise aiming. There’s also a really cool new counter-attack that adds a completely new dynamic to the combat itself.

And according to some post on Reddit, the original review made a mistake and it’s actually the L button.

Bibliography

Some post on Reddit.

47 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Turns out a thread was on the GG subreddit buried beneath a bunch of anti feminist bollocks. The final proof that gamergate was always about wanting women and minorities out of games. 

Christ, imagine if it had been a female editor who plagiarised a review. Twitter would be on fucking fire.

• Upvote 1

It was the Dead Cells review that caught him out, but people haven't stopped digging...

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/08/11/former-ign-reviewer-responds-to-plagiarism-allegations-not-at-all-intentional

It's insane that a professional game reviewer would try this, but who knows, perhaps it goes on all the time and we've only just noticed.

It's all academic now since he's no longer employed there...but a simple 'sorry' would be welcomed.

• Upvote 5

He seemed to join IGN out of nowhere and get quite a prominent position very quickly, and he always stood out like a sore thumb. Something very iffy going on there.

Just my tuppence ha-penny, but maybe he’d barely even played the things he should have been reviewing, because he was tired of games.

• Upvote 2

My first term of uni was spent in a haze, but luckily I struck up a friendship with a guy who used to hapilly let me borrow his essays so long as I changed them enough to not get him into any bother. I consistently got higher marks than him though so eventually he got pissed off, but the message here is that plagiarism is still possible, but change stuff ffs. Don't be a dumbass.

Just now, deerokus said:

I bet he plagiarised his apology.

Kevin Spacey is filing a copyright claim as we speak.