Edge #323 25th Anniversary Edition

7 hours ago, Dave White said:

Hey all

glad you like them, it was a massive honour to do those and I had great fun. Nathan asked me if I would like to do a cover in March and it was a no brainer. We decided over a couple of weeks on the shortlist and I began work.

So there are only 100 Solaire covers and all are signed so its willy Wonka time, and there is a puzzle to be solved , all will be revealed in the issue when you get it. The first to suss it out wins the original Solaire painting. Good Luck Ready Player 2!

Are they sub only or in the wild? They all look great but I'd love a Solaire one.

10 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

61003031-E236-43B4-866C-58414EBF9F8E.thumb.jpg.5560bf20cf214becdb108b5fea107d09.jpg

The other covers available. I'm glad I got the Halo cover. 

Reveal hidden contents

91F8853E-E70E-41C3-8E9E-CDD7D6427581.thumb.jpg.c544e7e87d121e687bb3d886b85a6f91.jpg

CDB995AB-F2A0-411C-AC34-46B7EA1CD719.thumb.jpg.7eff10c51cca3ba649fb52069b412ffa.jpg

08A21D54-29AE-48FF-A584-3CE184538789.thumb.jpg.f8861de7001c857a83e3d12d29cadfd4.jpg

Hype looks at Marvel's Spider-Man, Control, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Jupiter & Mars, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, and Trüberbrook.

Hype Roundup has a quick look at Two Point Hospital, Shudder, Spin Rhythm, Genesis: Alpha One, and Under a Porcelain Sun.

Features includes Game Changers - Celebrating the watershed moments that shaped 25 years in interactive entertainment, Collected Works - Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi.

Reviews:

Octopath Traveler - 7

The Banner Saga 3 - 9

Dead Cells - 8

Hollow Knight - 9

The Persistence - 8

Pocket Rumble - 7

Radio Hammer Station - 5

Danger Zone 2 - 6

The Making of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

Studio Profile visits Frontier Developments.

Time Extend Jurassic Park: Trespasser.

The Long Game is still playing Call of Duty: WWII.

Congratulations to Edge.

We're in! Fuck, yes! Someone please post a pic!

I remember feeling like a latecomer when the issue 100 Miyamoto cover popped up, then the 10th anniversary issue coming out and me thinking I’d been reading the mag forever. Here’s to 25 more, then!

It’s a good issue this month in its own right. Damn those are nice covers.

Spent the day crossing my fingers and hoping I didn't have the Mario cover (no problem with the artwork, just he's the only one of the three for which I have no happy gaming memories), so naturally I got home to find his gurning face waiting the packaging for me. Ah well.

Still, this:

11 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

The Banner Saga 3 - 9

Was very nice to see. I've very much enjoyed the whole series, and each game has built on the previous one in terms of design and in terms of escalating choices with cascading impacts, and the third just brought everything together astonishingly well. The game absolutely puts to shame every other branching story based multi-part series that I can think of in terms of meaningfully following through on the events and decisions of each successive game, which would be more than enough to recommend it alone; as it happens, that's combined with absolutely gorgeous art and music, and all layered on top of a really solid strategy RPG. I'm really glad to see Edge giving it recognition.

(And, as an added bonus, it's now available, as a full trilogy, on PC, mobiles, plus all three current gen consoles - yes, including the Switch. So if it sounds at all interesting to you then you really have no excuse but to try it!)

30 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Spent the day crossing my fingers and hoping I didn't have the Mario cover (no problem with the artwork, just he's the only one of the three for which I have no happy gaming memories)

This is the most Wiper thing I've read in a while.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Spent the day crossing my fingers and hoping I didn't have the Mario cover (no problem with the artwork, just he's the only one of the three for which I have no happy gaming memories), so naturally I got home to find his gurning face waiting the packaging for me. Ah well.

Spent the day crossing my fingers I had Mario. 

Hello, Guile. 

13 hours ago, Dave White said:

Hey all

glad you like them, it was a massive honour to do those and I had great fun. Nathan asked me if I would like to do a cover in March and it was a no brainer. We decided over a couple of weeks on the shortlist and I began work.

@Dave White Brilliant covers, and a great way to celebrate 25 years of nerds bickering over scores, I mean fantastic in-depth gaming journalism ;)  Looking forward to getting my issue.

Oh... wish Edge would do a 25th anniversary book or something .... A bit of the history of Edge, significant technologies and consoles. Significant reviews. Interviews with staff of years gone by and current staff etc etc. Just something to mark this landmark. Seems a bit somewhat deflating to just have a cover. For people that have this months magazine is there anything on Edges history or things like the above?

45 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Oh... wish Edge would do a 25th anniversary book or something .... A bit of the history of Edge, significant technologies and consoles. Significant reviews. Interviews with staff of years gone by and current staff etc etc. Just something to mark this landmark. Seems a bit somewhat deflating to just have a cover. For people that have this months magazine is there anything on Edges history or things like the above?

I was hoping for that sort of thing too, although Edge have done "behind the scenes" features at least twice before. I can't remember when exactly, but I'm sure they did a "Making of" Edge in one of the other anniversary issues. 

All the same, it would be great to have a new feature looking back over the 25 years, from a gaming point of view AND from the magazine's perspective. I also think Edge should revive the "File" special editions that lasted for three issues (collating a years worth of the best of Edge in each edition). 

In answer to the question @MattyP, there isn't anything in the latest mag that covers the history of Edge. 

20 hours ago, the_debaser said:

The Sega interview in the issue is pretty interesting. Bloke seems a bit big headed though. 

Given his CV includes Daytona, Shenmue, Super Monkey Ball, F Zero GX and Yakuza, I think he's allowed to blow his own trumpet.

The stuff he said about Yu Suzuki didn't make me hold out much hope for ever seeing Shenmue 3 finished though.

Similarly to some of those who have already commented, I really hope there's a special edition or something coming soon. While the content is as high quality as ever, and the covers are nice, the covers are also the only thing that really seem special. Which is a bit disappointing for a 25th anniversary.

Heck, my wife's 1000th issue of Heat magazine seems to have more special content befitting an anniversary....