Mr Do 71

Edge #323 25th Anniversary Edition

9 hours ago, Nick R said:

Not just print issues: it's crazy that Future have been so inconsistent in taking advantage of the Edge archive for online publication.

I was never part of the Edge forum that Rllmuk spun out of, so I don't know what their website outside the forum was like at that time it closed (2003?). But if they'd continuously built up the same website since then, they'd have an archive at least as deep as Eurogamer's. And if they went back all the way to their launch in 1993, they could potentially have as comprehensive an online review archive as GameSpot.

There have been a few times when they've revived the website and started putting the magazine's text online (there was the grey and pink themed blog, then Next-Gen, then it went back to Edge Online again). But every time, they've torn it down - most recently they closed the Edge and C&VG websites in favour of GamesRadar.

Now the only place where Edge material appears online is Kotaku UK:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/author/edge/

I suppose it comes down to online archives and lengthy Making Of and Time Extend articles not being as valuable for ad revenue as a constant churn of up-to-the-minute news and reviews?

I also wonder if the lack of credits to specific articles and reviews has anything to do with it: makes it harder to sort out what old material they can legally republish? (Though that didn't seem to be a problem with the File issues.)

This is partly why, whenever someone posts in the Trading folder about either offloading their Edge collection or threatening to put it in the recycling, I react with horror. Believe me, I understand how much space a large Edge collection can take up. But those words aren't preserved anywhere else... :(

It’s a great example of how horribly  ephemeral scholarly information on the Internet is, because when they were running that chapter-and-verse comprehensive web version, it was being cited all over the place. Same with loads of other Future mags on there. Wikipedia was obviously an important use but it showed up a lot on blogs and things.

And then it just went away, and suddenly all those citations redirected to a generic Gamesradar page. Poof. Gone. I can’t recall if they blocked archiving in their robots.txt but I think they did, because the links were never replaced with Wayback ones as tends to happen now with dead pages.

The Internet is just disposable trash, even to the most successful disseminators of information.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LyonJacques said:

11ka3o5.jpg

I found one the first place I looked - Waterloo station - this game is a piece o’ piss! ;)

You lucky s.o.b! Congrats! 

On 15/08/2018 at 20:58, smac said:

Cost.

Assuming they own the rights to the artworks, I guess it would be 800 pages, so maybe split into a couple of volumes, or stick some of the less visually appealing covers 4 on a page to save space. Or 2 front and back if the back covers were notable.

Eh, guess the market for it would be tiny and not worth the resources.

19 hours ago, Minion said:

You lucky s.o.b! Congrats! 

I've also spotted one in Norwich - but as someone not that worried about Dark Souls and who already has their own subscription copy, I've left it there.

For now. :)

1 minute ago, MaffewE said:

I've also spotted one in Norwich - but as someone not that worried about Dark Souls and who already has their own subscription copy, I've left it there.

For now. :)

Dude!!!! I'll pay you double for it if you want to get it for me, I just really want one and my local tesco didn't have it. I'm a bit Dark Souls crazy you see.

Won't get a chance to go back there for a few days now, so my chances of being able to help are minimal - it's in the WH Smiths on Gentleman's Walk, if that helps anyone. :)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MaffewE said:

Won't get a chance to go back there for a few days now, so my chances of being able to help are minimal - it's in the WH Smiths on Gentleman's Walk, if that helps anyone. :)

:( for me. Good for you for letting fellow rllmuk'rs know though :)

Ooh actually there's a smiths down the round from me, I'm going to pop out quickly!

On 15/08/2018 at 10:58, K said:

What is slightly sad is that there was the occasional bit of mag content that was put on the website exclusively. Edge's review of Halo Reach isn't available anywhere to my knowledge, which is a bit of a shame. You can't even read it in a back issue of the mag.

It’s a shame. As I mentioned the article with Toshihiro Nagoshi if you grew up playing his games is absolutely fantastic. The Dragon Quest article from a few months back was also brilliant. 

I just read this thread having got back from holiday and realised my copy had been delivered but was still in the mail pile. I keenly opened it and was pleasantly surprised!

8B62BA09-E0E8-4532-BB77-FE9472BB14E5.jpeg

• Upvote 4

I’ve figured out the quote from the inside cover, does anyone have the others? Or does anyone mind posting a photo of the inside code? I can crack it in a few minutes

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Anyone made any progress in cracking the inside cover codes? Can’t even find where the Guile code might be.

I have, it's just a standard code pattern, there is a double page spread with some of the codes translated into letters on page 56 and also a clue towards the very back as to where you can find more. with this I had enough to decipher just over half but that was enough. After the first 3 words I googled it and got the full quote.

I solved the codes and submitted my answers. fingers crossed!

Spoiler

Edit: Removed answers as there are still prizes up for grabs (the four cover box set) and the spirit of the thing seems to be for people to work it out. PM if you want some tips or the raw puzzles in the covers, I’d happily share the Solaire one

• Upvote 7