rllmuk
FishyFish

Great scenes in disappointing movies

Just now, Nick R said:

Yes. Which surprised me: I had thought that a 1-to-1 recreation of the comic's panel compositions - with added glamorous slow-mo violence - would have more appeal.

Well that sure as hell didn’t work for GITS...

3 minutes ago, linkster said:

Would the individual who negged Darth Mail care to explain why it’s either not an outstanding scene or a disappointing film?

I didn't neg that post, but whoever did may have done so because it was already posted near the start of the thread.

21 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I was thinking of this scene from Ocean's 12, but having watched it again it's not all that great. Still stands out in an otherwise piss poor film, I suppose, and the music's nice. Rayman Legends did a smart homage/parody level.

Here's a Cinemasins-esque nitpicky video on that scene:

16 minutes ago, linkster said:

Id rank it among my favourite films, the running time flies by. Can’t think of anything quite like it

Cool. Yeah, it does some interesting stuff for sure. Out of interest, what are your thoughts on the comic, and also of Sucker Punch? 

1 minute ago, Treble said:

Cool. Yeah, it does some interesting stuff for sure. Out of interest, what are your thoughts on the comic, and also of Sucker Punch? 

I hated Sucker Punch, only got around to watching it last year and thought it was exactly what it looked like

10 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I didn't neg that post, but whoever did may have done so because it was already posted near the start of the thread.

Here's a Cinemasins-esque nitpicky video on that scene:

Ah ok, got them on ignore

• Empathy 1

10 hours ago, Jimmyzilla said:

The intro to 28 Weeks Later culminating in the escape to 'in the house, in a heartbeat'

I'll add that I thought that the scene where he meets his wife again was quite affecting. A really tragic turn of events.

Everything after that, not as good.

11 hours ago, Jimmyzilla said:

The intro to 28 Weeks Later culminating in the escape to 'in the house, in a heartbeat'

Yeah, this is fantastic. I think I actually like this more than anything in the first film. And while the rest of it doesn’t quite live up to this opening scene, overall I do prefer it to 28 Days Later.

• Upvote 1

This is not going to be a popular choice, but I’d say that the scene in They Live where Rowdy Roddy Piper first puts on the sunglasses is amazing, but the rest of the film is pretty mediocre. It’s slightly unfair, as by that scene I mean the middle half hour of the film, including the fight with Keith David, the bank robbery, and the bit with the cops, but I’ve always thought that the rest of the film was a bit rubs and didn’t come close to the absolute paranoid headrush of that sequence.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Harsin said:

Star Trek III is very much a film that's less than the sum of its parts. Two stand out sequences.

I watched this the other night - I think its fantastic and easily the most under rated of the ST films

• Upvote 1

The Medieval Times bit from Cable Guy. The bit where he "sings" the fight theme from Star Trek cracks me up. 

Although I should confess that I actually think Cable Guy is maybe the third best film ever made, after On The Waterfront and Three Colours Blue probably. It was only other people who found it disappointing. Wrong people.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, Waggo said:

We might as well go the whole hog and come out with it that Search for Spock is not a bad film.  It just suffers somewhat from the pure brilliance of Wrath of Khan & that it also undermines the Spock sacrifice at the end of that film.

For me the story of Star Trek was always that Spock died for a bit then was reborn (a bit like Jesus I guess) so I never had any if that disappointment with the meta-narrative of Nimoy jacking it in then being tempted back again. For the same reason, I don't feel his return undermines the ending of TWOK. It's still devastating, though I guess it'd be more affecting if that really was the last time he played the role. From my viewpoint, then The Search For Spock was always a brilliant film.

Agreed about David's death as well. Apparently Robin Curtis had a real issue delivering the "David is dead" line in such a deadpan way as it went against everything her instincts told her. It's a brilliant scene.

The bit in Swordfish when Halle Berry is wearing- I mean, the bit where the ball-bearing explosive goes off and you get that slow-motion panning shot of everything getting fucked.

• Upvote 2

Another audacious and ridiculous one-shot action scene, from a film that was mainly disappointing because they cast the wrong actor in the lead role:

I also always liked that film's pirate sword fight, with the two fighters trying to extinguish or relight a gunpowder trail:

2 hours ago, linkster said:

The opening sequence of Baby Driver is outstanding but the film itself was terrible 

I didn't even like the opening sequence. Baby is irritating from the very moment you meet him. 

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Another audacious and ridiculous one-shot action scene, from a film that was mainly disappointing because they cast the wrong actor in the lead role:

Spielbergs been playing too much Uncharted.

8 hours ago, linkster said:

Id rank it among my favourite films, the running time flies by. Can’t think of anything quite like it

yes

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I'm with you. I absolutely fucking love it.

Yes

3 hours ago, linkster said:

The opening sequence of Baby Driver is outstanding but the film itself was terrible 

YES

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I didn't even like the opening sequence. Baby is irritating from the very moment you meet him. 

YES!!!

The *only* good bit in baby driver is the shoot out scene with hocus pocus.

I don't think I've ever cringed quite so much as I did in the first twenty minutes of Baby Driver, like the bit where they all put on their masks and open the car boot in unison or the bit where he lip-syncs to the spoken word bit at the start of the song, or oh god the bit where he "plays" the air-sax while walking to the coffee shop, or the bit where he monosyllabically chats up the manic pixie dream waitress, or the bit with his non-threatening deaf father figure emitting rays of saintly innocence.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, linkster said:

The opening sequence of Baby Driver is

the worst bit. Made me want to chin Baby. Such an irritating twat.

And breathe...

May I offer the sniper shots in Wanted for your consideration;

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, K said:

I don't think I've ever cringed quite so much as I did in the first twenty minutes of Baby Driver, like the bit where they all put on their masks and open the car boot in unison or the bit where he lip-syncs to the spoken word bit at the start of the song, or oh god the bit where he "plays" the air-sax while walking to the coffee shop, or the bit where he monosyllabically chats up the manic pixie dream waitress, or the bit with his non-threatening deaf father figure emitting rays of saintly innocence.

Ugh, that lip synced "Ohhhhhhhh!". I was like "fuck, 2 hours of this fucking shit"

Baby does become less annoying, but at no point does he become any more likable. And the lack of a clear antagonist, central question or story of any description really didn't help things. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Ugh, that lip synced "Ohhhhhhhh!". I was like "fuck, 2 hours of this fucking shit"

It's like they were aiming to recreate the way you feel when you mouth along to music on headphones, but accidentally ended up recreating the tragic reality of the way you look.

• Upvote 1

No ones gone for weaponising hyperspace? Visually beautiful but TLJ was easily the most disappointed I've ever been in a films story. 

Ironically the last time I was that angry by a film was Watchmen. I seem to remember that the credits were outsourced which (imo) is why they were the best bit in the film. Looked brilliant but the end was so far away from the source I was furious walking out of the cinema. 

Cars 2 has amazing sequences (Japan especially) but oh my goodness it's Pixar's worst. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, this is fantastic. I think I actually like this more than anything in the first film. And while the rest of it doesn’t quite live up to this opening scene, overall I do prefer it to 28 Days Later.

I preferred 28 Weeks Later to 28 Days Later too. Admittedly I can't remember much of anything that happens in the sequel but everything after they meet the army in the first movie is utter drivel; it's not bad until then.

But yes, the opening sequence of 28 Weeks Later is brilliant. Were it in a bigger or better movie it would probably be looked upon as a classic modern horror sequence by now. Instead it seems to have been mostly forgotten.

• Upvote 1