FishyFish

Great scenes in disappointing movies

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Interesting topic. As a music lover first and foremost, the move to digital has seen me listen to full albums less and various tracks on shuffle more. Only recently was I wondering if movie lovers watch individual scenes much? If so, do you have them ripped as a scene or do you skip through the file/disc? Or perhaps you just stream clips on YouTube? 

Hah! Good question. Sometimes I’ll sit there and will go through a few of my favourites scenes, usually from the films I own digitally. Good to kill 10 minutes or so.

It’ll usually be scenes that look and sound impressive, and give the home cinema system a good workout. Anything else and I’d rather watch it in the context of the full film. ’Falcon flies again’ from The Force Awakens, the Indominus Rex escape in Jurassic World, and the bike/truck chase in T2 are all great to watch.

I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve watched the final scene in The Force Awakens, on the island. A perfect ending. I can see the Kylo/Luke face off in The Last Jedi being added to the list too.

I've always been a fan of this scene, even though it's a microcosm of all the problems with the film as a whole - it's technically amazing (in places), it's full of energy, and it's not funny in the slightest. But man, what a lavishly-staged sequence. You can tell why Spielberg decided to go back to basics with Raiders of the Lost Ark, because it's full of directorial willy-waving sequences, where they'll do one long, absurdly elaborate shot just to show off, when you could have gotten the same effect for much less effort if they'd just divided it up. The shot near the start where Treat Williams punches through a section of panelling and chases Bobby Di Ciccio through the crowd is the case in point - there are dozens of extras, all dancing and capering round, and there's no reason at all to stage it as an unbroken shot. If anything, the long take actually diminishes it a bit, as the gag at the end where Williams is taken out by a woman dancing is a really jarring cut. It feels like they wanted to have that gag as part of the long take, but couldn't get it. This is a problem with the scene as a whole, as while the raw footage is staggering, it don't quite flow together. Characters seem to teleport around the hall. It feels like they didn't get all the footage they needed, probably because they were spending so much flipping effort where they didn't need to.

There's the germ of something truly amazing in this sequence, which the film doesn't quite pull off. It's a great idea to have a dance sequence that occasionally becomes a fight sequence, where classic Fred Astaire move like the wall-run or the backflip off a table are woven seamlessly into a brawl. This isn't quite it, but it's not bad nonetheless. And some of the individual shots are just stunning, like the slow zoom on Treat Williams at the end, standing in front of the neon sign. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/08/2018 at 18:21, K said:

This is not going to be a popular choice, but I’d say that the scene in They Live where Rowdy Roddy Piper first puts on the sunglasses is amazing, but the rest of the film is pretty mediocre. It’s slightly unfair, as by that scene I mean the middle half hour of the film, including the fight with Keith David, the bank robbery, and the bit with the cops, but I’ve always thought that the rest of the film was a bit rubs and didn’t come close to the absolute paranoid headrush of that sequence.

A similar corruption of the topic, but all I can think of now - the entire opening of Explorers, with the 3 boys planning and building the Thunder Road, and taking it for a test flight would probably have made for the greatest film of all time (certainly of the 80s) if the second half of the movie hadn't totally shit the bed. Everything that happens once they go into space just crushes the adventurous heart of the movie - which may have been the point I suppose? It's like a cruel practical joke on the audience.

• Upvote 1

On 13/08/2018 at 17:59, K said:

I don't think I've ever cringed quite so much as I did in the first twenty minutes of Baby Driver, like the bit where they all put on their masks and open the car boot in unison or the bit where he lip-syncs to the spoken word bit at the start of the song, or oh god the bit where he "plays" the air-sax while walking to the coffee shop, or the bit where he monosyllabically chats up the manic pixie dream waitress, or the bit with his non-threatening deaf father figure emitting rays of saintly innocence.

In fairness though the casting of C J Jones meant quite a lot to the deaf community: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/07/you-are-not-alone-baby-driver-c.j.-jones-and-the-perfect-pop-song-of-repres

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

In fairness though the casting of C J Jones meant quite a lot to the deaf community: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/07/you-are-not-alone-baby-driver-c.j.-jones-and-the-perfect-pop-song-of-repres

Yeah, I'm probably not the best person to comment on whether or not a deaf person's role in a film is tokenism, and I'm glad other people got so much out of his casting. But from a narrative perspective, CJ Jones' character didn't do a lot for me.

'HEY .. COCK!'

that bit at 1:35 when he threatens the guy with the rubber chicken kills me. It's like that bit in Ace Ventura where he dances to cannibal corpse. Just really stupid but always makes me laugh

There are a few in Den of Thieves, a well intentioned but otherwise cartoonish attempt to update Heat, like when the guy arrives to take the girl on a date and ends up surrounded by dad's buddies

post-90s Quentin Tarantino, the thread...

the Tom Jane Punisher movie is well shit, but there's a fight with Kevin Nash dressed as a sailor that is loads of fun.

the 'stop eating my seseme cake!' scene in Congo.

3 hours ago, Naieve said:

the Tom Jane Punisher movie is well shit, but there's a fight with Kevin Nash dressed as a sailor that is loads of fun.

Yeah I remember liking that fight. Though the only detail I can remember from it is that early in the film we see shots of the Punisher setting up an elaborate gun-deploying spring mechanism in his apartment, and then when he tries to use it in that fight, we expect it'll be the trick that saves him, but instead his opponent instantly swats it away.

There needs to be a way of measuring the distance between how good the scene is compared to how bad the rest of the film. Here it's quite sizeable I think:

I finally got round to watching Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets. Has its opening montage been suggested in this thread? It delivers the optimistic and inspirational Mass Effect/Star Trek vision of spaceflight and first contact, and (like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Martian) knows that adding David Bowie - even his most overplayed song - can improve any space montage.

Unfortunately it's then followed by the film itself, which is largely about a 15-year-old boy (well, he looks that age) doing his best Keanu Reeves impression, while his sensible female partner rolls her eyes at his immaturity. (After watching it I read through the film's thread here, and saw that @MrPogo was also struck by the Keanu comparison!)

• Upvote 2

On 11/01/2019 at 22:01, linkster said:

Disappointing???

I read the book before I'd seen the film and preferred it. It's a decent. movie, but wasn't quite the film I thought it would be; there's a fair bit of plot deviation. 

On 11/01/2019 at 22:56, kerraig UK said:

How could anyone be disappointed by Contact? Its a fucking amazing film

The amount of real life conversations I've had with morons complaining about this wonderful film gives me little hope for humanity. 

On 13/01/2019 at 19:16, Nick R said:

I finally got round to watching Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets. Has its opening montage been suggested in this thread? It delivers the optimistic and inspirational Mass Effect/Star Trek vision of spaceflight and first contact, and (like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Martian) knows that adding David Bowie - even his most overplayed song - can improve any space montage.

Unfortunately it's then followed by the film itself, which is largely about a 15-year-old boy (well, he looks that age) doing his best Keanu Reeves impression, while his sensible female partner rolls her eyes at his immaturity. (After watching it I read through the film's thread here, and saw that @MrPogo was also struck by the Keanu comparison!)

The biggest problem I had is that the two leads have exactly the same face, yet are supposed to be shagging. They should have either cast one of them differently or made them brother and sister.

Ace Ventura 2 contains one of the great comedy scenes, but is otherwise shit: