Jump to content
rllmuk
Lorfarius

N64 Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

I've just been given an N64 (Pal) with Golden Eye, Perfect Dark and Lylat wars - it's a real shame it doesnt work with my OSSC out of the box :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I've just been given an N64 (Pal) with Golden Eye, Perfect Dark and Lylat wars - it's a real shame it doesnt work with my OSSC out of the box :(

Why is that then? I was going to borrow an OSSC from someone at work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider said:

Why is that then? I was going to borrow an OSSC from someone at work.

 

Only works with RGB inputs an an N64 has to be modded to do it despite at the time loads of scart cables claiming to be RGB versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Only works with RGB inputs an an N64 has to be modded to do it despite at the time loads of scart cables claiming to be RGB versions.

Ah right. Luckily mine is RGB modded so I might give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a N64 to hdmi cable by hyperkin I found on Amazon that uses the svideo output. It's not ideal but it's the best I could find 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spartan said:

There's a N64 to hdmi cable by hyperkin I found on Amazon that uses the svideo output. It's not ideal but it's the best I could find 

 

I have one of those, its basically just an s-video to hdmi converter. 

 

It works pretty well and there is no noticeable lag. I can take some photos of the picture quality if anyone is interested.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick_L said:

 

I have one of those, its basically just an s-video to hdmi converter. 

 

It works pretty well and there is no noticeable lag. I can take some photos of the picture quality if anyone is interested.

I’m interested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SeanR said:

I’m interested 

 

a wild YouTube video appears!

 

 

Not the best quality and I promise my TV isn't on the piss despite how it looks, this was filmed on an iPhone wedged between some coasters. Its a US NTSC console on a 55" 4k LG tv.

 

Let me know if you want to see any closeups etc. I think it looks OK considering the cost of the cable and the fact that the N64 always looks like you are viewing on a screen with Vaseline smeared all over it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went a bit overboard with the 64 to the point of finally running out of display room (for now) but I can safely say that it was worth it.

Never owned a 64 up until a year ago, but all of the cool kids with lots of friends owned one, not to mention the cute girl from the rich upper area that invited me over all the time.

 

Had some friends over so we played Road Rash, got my ass handed to me in Super Smash, and some Lego Racer for nostalgia's sake.

 

Currently working my way through Ocarina of Time again to try and learn to love the game like so many people do, fourth attempt's the charm I hope.

IMG_20200225_073318.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed the second stage of Turok last night.

Bloody hell it's a hard game. I think it's largely down to the enemies, which respawn incredibly quickly and don't give you any extra ammo when you kill them a second time, meaning your weapons deplete really quickly.

I'm half tempted to put in the code that unlocks all the keys because I don't really like the idea of constantly replaying stages in order to find them again, particularly as none of the items seem to respawn when you revisit them. I am enjoying killing all the dinos and I love how over-the-top gory it is, but some of the keys are so well hidden and the fog prevents you from seeing where they could be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Get yourself some of these. Well worth it:

 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=n64 label


indeed

 

i got similar (vinyl) labels for my jag carts and they look so good. I imagine the extra real estate on the top of an n64 cart means these can look even better.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, strider said:

Completed the second stage of Turok last night.

Bloody hell it's a hard game. I think it's largely down to the enemies, which respawn incredibly quickly and don't give you any extra ammo when you kill them a second time, meaning your weapons deplete really quickly.

I'm half tempted to put in the code that unlocks all the keys because I don't really like the idea of constantly replaying stages in order to find them again, particularly as none of the items seem to respawn when you revisit them. I am enjoying killing all the dinos and I love how over-the-top gory it is, but some of the keys are so well hidden and the fog prevents you from seeing where they could be.

 

 

It was the second game I got for the N64 and I don't think I've ever played it properly - just used the cheats and fucked around blowing things up. The graphics melted my face back in the day, fog aside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only SNES PAL games had a similar solution to the vinyl stickers, its driving me nuts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Death's Head said:

 

It was the second game I got for the N64 and I don't think I've ever played it properly - just used the cheats and fucked around blowing things up. The graphics melted my face back in the day, fog aside.

I can imagine the graphics being quite impressive back in the day. I always used to wonder if Acclaim had some sort of behind the scenes access on the N64 as their stuff always seemed to look stupidly impressive compared to most other third party games.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In japan last year I was looking to pick up a 64DD although didn’t have high hopes as apparently even there they are not seen in the wild often. I came across three. The first was the bare system missing stuff for about a grand, the second was a boxed system for way over a grand and then this one I bought that basically came with every game (bar the two expensive and super rare ones) full boxed for around £750. Was amazed when I saw it just sitting there in a shop I’d visited a week earlier but didn’t see was there then.

 

I also picked up this rather cheap gold console on eBay with a bunch of Japanese games I need to sell. It needs a very good clean but for the price I can’t complain.

20E8F416-B90A-4E15-A982-C58A0E381725.jpeg

62ED8575-D62B-4CAD-AB77-A8074C8409A1.jpeg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, strider said:

I can imagine the graphics being quite impressive back in the day. I always used to wonder if Acclaim had some sort of behind the scenes access on the N64 as their stuff always seemed to look stupidly impressive compared to most other third party games.

 

It was particularly the weapon models and effects that impressed me. First time I fired off that fusion cannon I was like, blimey! And you're right, there was always a nice sheen to their stuff even if, like Turok 2, it was a little ambitious and slowed the poor N64 down to a chug. Forsaken, in particular, is a game that only really functions as it should nowadays, when emulated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at the N64DD with some interest since picking up a N64. Luckily I don't love F-Zero enough to buy one. Looks like you got a fantastic deal based on some of the prices I've seen it go for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Death's Head said:

 

It was particularly the weapon models and effects that impressed me. First time I fired off that fusion cannon I was like, blimey! And you're right, there was always a nice sheen to their stuff even if, like Turok 2, it was a little ambitious and slowed the poor N64 down to a chug. Forsaken, in particular, is a game that only really functions as it should nowadays, when emulated!

I remember Forsaken being pretty cool when I owned it back in the day. Did you own the Pal version back in the day, because I remember the NTSC version being quite nippy (might be my memory, mind).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the PAL version was like watching a slideshow sometimes, especially in four player! I fired it up in Project 64 not long ago and it was a revelation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Yeah, the PAL version was like watching a slideshow sometimes, especially in four player! I fired it up in Project 64 not long ago and it was a revelation!

I might add it to me list then.

I've put together a list of about 60 games and have just over 30 so far. It's going to be my focus for the entire year I've decided.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, strider said:

I've been looking at the N64DD with some interest since picking up a N64. Luckily I don't love F-Zero enough to buy one. Looks like you got a fantastic deal based on some of the prices I've seen it go for.

Yeah the average price now is about £1000 including all the main games, mouse etc. Only things you don’t get are keyboard, the golf game and the doshin add on disc as they were never part of the subscription service.

 

For me i look at it as something that won’t go down in price, only up. It’s a curio for sure and has limited appeal outside of collectors but it’s so niche it’ll never have a 3rd party version made or even reproductions and with an already small run it’s only likely to get harder to get.

 

Its a shame there’s such limited info out there on it, like can broken discs be fixed or can the machine even be repaired etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are a few collectors group that might be able to help. We recently interviewed someone with a full collection of US games as well as all the DD products and he seemed to know his stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully nothing is broken yet but yeah just trying to find even basic info on the system is tough. Future retro gamer topic right there, you can have that one for free ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

 

It was particularly the weapon models and effects that impressed me. First time I fired off that fusion cannon I was like, blimey! And you're right, there was always a nice sheen to their stuff even if, like Turok 2, it was a little ambitious and slowed the poor N64 down to a chug. Forsaken, in particular, is a game that only really functions as it should nowadays, when emulated!

 

I especially loved the underwater effects in the first Turok, and the undulating blue portals. Plus it had some very satisfying audio feedback when collecting those golden triangles.

 

 

 

Blue portal here:

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely - those effects and the old liquid-metal swirly pool from Mario 64 used to entrance me for ages. I was coming to the N64 off the back of a Mega Drive so my awe is at least vaguely understandable!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.