N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

9 minutes ago, bplus said:

Wait. What!?! Doing tricks gives a speed boost !? I didn't know this !!

It's the speed boost you get for going around (5?) buoys and not missing any. I'm sure tricks fill it up as well, so if you can smash out a double backflip at the start you can get it quicker just to give you more of an advantage.

6 minutes ago, phresh said:

It's the speed boost you get for going around (5?) buoys and not missing any. I'm sure tricks fill it up as well, so if you can smash out a double backflip at the start you can get it quicker just to give you more of an advantage.

I didn't know this, will try later :)

On 29/07/2021 at 09:56, phresh said:

Checked yesterday, tricks don't as far as I can tell, however I think they do in blue storm, haven't tried!

• 3 weeks later...

"A predominantly sprite-based game, unoriginal and already inferior by 4th generation console standards, “J.League Dynamite Soccer 64″ is a strong contender for the worst N64 football title. It is, however, easy to play with simple to pick up, arcade-style controls. Now this lousy sports title and its exclusively Japanese clubs are available in English for the first time, to the delight of no one."

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6237/

Any one tried multi racing championship?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRC:_Multi-Racing_Championship

Looks like a sega rally rip off, and it was developed by denki who I think did sega rally 2 on the Dreamcast. Haven't tried it yet, was going to give it a go tonight.

Strange I never heard of it before, probably too early a release, think I would have liked it back in the day.

23 minutes ago, bplus said:

Looks like a sega rally rip off, and it was developed by denki who I think did sega rally 2 on the Dreamcast. Haven't tried it yet, was going to give it a go tonight.

Strange I never heard of it before, probably too early a release, think I would have liked it back in the day.

it's VERY slow... I remember being hyped for it at the time, and sorely dissapointed upon release :(

10 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

it's VERY slow... I remember being hyped for it at the time, and sorely dissapointed upon release :(

Interesting, was it the pal version? One YouTube vid looks like euro release and it looks super slow.  Other looks ok. Frame rate looks crap though in both.

I probably should have bought a playstation back in the day too, was fed a line of drivel by N64 mag saying the PlayStation couldn't compete graphically. Heard recently a developer saying the PlayStation was designed to do fast graphics, the N64 sort of more quality. Though the N64 also had 2kb video ram I think so not sure how right that is!

Edit: https://www.ign.com/articles/1997/09/12/multi-racing-championship

Wait what, only 3 tracks!?!

Three tracks would be the ubiquitous cartridge space limitations causing problems again. Bah.

Always thought it a shame that the N64 never got its own decent competitor to the Ridge Racer–Sega Rally duopoly. Not that there weren’t any realistic racers for the system, I mean, there were more than you’d probably expect, but none were particularly great, IMO.

53 minutes ago, bplus said:

Do you mean Genki? They made the Tokyo Highway Challenge series of games.

After three painful mins playing multi racing championship I can confirm it's pretty awful. Terrible frame rate, an annoying announcer that can't be muted and handling thats no where near as satisfying as sega rally. 

Appreciate no one cares, but for some reason I thought I might have found a hidden gem. It's gash.

6 minutes ago, nakamura said:

MRC is not bad tbh. It's a little fuzzy but tweaks to the handling setup improve it no end. It's not great but I do like it myself. 

To be fair if I bought it back in the day I'd probably played the shit out of it and got a lot from it.

I remember even after launch it was basically buy MRC if you want a racing game (and it's the only one that exists on the system), it's pretty average or you're out of luck. I suggest trying RR64 if you want something Ridge Racery.

On 21/08/2021 at 21:49, the_debaser said:

https://retro-bit.com/tribute64-wireless/

One of these arrived for me today. I’d ordered it in April and totally forgotten about it. Works really nicely, syncs to the wireless adapter quickly and feels decent in the hands. If anyone is looking for a wireless controller I’d recommend it. 

Mine arrives today, @the_debaser. So if it turns out to be rubbish, I am going to... do absolutely nothing but quietly judge you from afar.

On 22/10/2018 at 11:01, SeanR said:

yes. I got a copy of MRC after comparing a bunch of N64 videos. It did not disappoint.

On 15/08/2020 at 16:01, SeanR said:

Apart from SF Rush 2049 did Midway ever manage to make a decent racer on the N64?

Cruisin USA/World/Exotica are all gash

California Speed manages to be worse than those 3

MRC is worse than I remember. (and I'm talking the lifespan of this thread, not back in 1997)

Also:

FZeroX is woolly

ExciteBikes 64 might be good if they didn't have a top speed of 40kph

Lambourghini Racing and Beetle Adventure racing are carried by their licences

V-Rally 99 isn't as good as the playstation v-rally games

Stunt Racer 64 is nothing of the sort

Destruction Derby 64 tries to use the power of the console, and makes the same mistake as DD2. Are we racing, or are we destroying?

the F1 games that I played vary in quality (per my previous posts)

the only saving graces are RR64 and WipeOut64

That just leaves the Top Gear games to play...

hope this helps!

On 04/07/2021 at 06:06, spanky debrest said:

Another classic I've avoided playing until now is Waverace 64 - and unlike Pilotwings 64 I've found this one a real challenge to get my head around. As a viewer, this game broadly looked so easy that I hadn't considered that the wave physics and tight course designs would conspire to chew up and spit out a new player so ruthlessly. 

Digging out the instruction manual / operations card will have to be done as it seems like some essential information just isn't in the game itself, and I really want to enjoy what might be the nearest thing to a proper arcade style racer Nintendo ever made.

Make sure you utilise the custom settings:

image.thumb.png.678f162c5b79667400ad0fd610ddba80.png

It's impossible to get round some of the sharper corners cleanly on later courses with the defaults. I think you want Handling towards the Light end and Grip towards Tight.

Yeah, I truly believe Wave Race 64 (along with F-Zero X and 1080 Snowboarding) are the some of the best racing games of all time.

Some Wave Race tips for beginners.

• Missing a L/R buoy reduces your top speed. Once you have missed one, you must pass five to get maximum engine power again.
  • Press accelerate right on the "GO" of the start countdown with give you maximum engine power right from the start.
  • The Z/R button is used for tighter turns. Use this on hairpins, but be careful, is sensitive and takes some getting used to.
  • The B button bends your knees. This is useful to take the height out of waves & jumps. If you want to return to the water quickly, tab B while riding up the wave.

On 15/08/2020 at 16:01, SeanR said:

FZeroX is woolly

This is so painfully wrong, that I have to believe you haven't played the game much, especially not at the time (where you wouldn't give up on a game after 20 minutes because you've spend £60 on it) and dismissed it as "too old" or something.

So, F-Zero X actually has the idea of "grip". if you turn too hard too fast, you'll exceed this grip limit, which makes the craft slip across the track and the handling feel loose and hard to control. The entire core idea of the game is to push the craft as hard as you can without crossing into that slipping behaviour. Once you do, you need to go into a sort of recovery mode, where you release the accelerator and then reduce your steering, until the grip snaps back. Once you learn this, then the game becomes super accurate and one of the best examples of responsive and tight controls in a driving game.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I’ve never seen anything on any later systems that matches Wave Race 64 in terms of raw gameplay design and simple elegance of its control system. The sequel on the GameCube was a limp disappointment.

Even the graphics are amazing.  Well, the water anyway.  Still looks gorgeous.

18 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I’ve never seen anything on any later systems that matches Wave Race 64 in terms of raw gameplay design and simple elegance of its control system. The sequel on the GameCube was a limp disappointment.

Yep I think it's probably one of the best games I've ever played. 1080 is up there too and to a lesser extent excite bike 64. Really deep control systems.

18 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah, I truly believe Wave Race 64 (along with F-Zero X and 1080 Snowboarding) are the some of the best racing games of all time.

Some Wave Race tips for beginners.

• Missing a L/R buoy reduces your top speed. Once you have missed one, you must pass five to get maximum engine power again.
  • Press accelerate right on the "GO" of the start countdown with give you maximum engine power right from the start.
  • The Z/R button is used for tighter turns. Use this on hairpins, but be careful, is sensitive and takes some getting used to.
  • The B button bends your knees. This is useful to take the height out of waves & jumps. If you want to return to the water quickly, tab B while riding up the wave.

I didn't know this about the b button. I've completed that game many times and never even bothered tweaking the stats.

Another thing about wave race is you sorta learn how to ride the waves on expert mode, using them to jump over things and take corners. It's genius and I haven't seen it anywhere since