N64 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

On 11/05/2021 at 13:12, Protocol Penguin said:

GoldenEye 007 (is) objectively dated – because it’s been superseded by subsequent generations of games which owe so much to it. It was pretty incredible and innovative at the time, really. ;) 

I really also don't think this is true. I think that most people's problem with GE when playing it now stems from two problems:

1. The graphics have aged terribly (240p "realistic" 3d graphics from 1997 are never going to age well)
  2. The DEFAULT controls are also terrible.

When I played the original, I would immediately switch to 1.2 Solitaire control method and turn the auto-aim off. Once you do that, and use the c-buttons to move, the game becomes much more like modern fps titles, where the analogue stick is using for aiming, and (without auto-aim) requires accurate head shots in order to defeat enemies quickly.

I'll concede it has its quirks, but that's also some of the reason its still interesting to play today. Obtuse mission objectives you had to actually think about and study the environment to solve. Security systems which, if triggered, would essentially make the level impossible to complete, as it would flood with enemies. Also, the fact that the levels were complete environments. Which dead ends, areas to explore that didn't affect the level objectives. Its weird to me that 99% of modern FPS shooters seem dead set on having this never ending  contiguous tunnel of levels. Why do nearly all modern first person shooters actively avoid exploration? It just feels much less real to me.

If you play an emulated version of the 360 remake, which uses twin stick controls, then you can much more clearly experience a game that still stands shoulder to shoulder with some of the best console shooters of all time, imho.

On 12/05/2021 at 14:11, Tomdominer said:

I really also don't think this is true. I think that most people's problem with GE when playing it now stems from two problems:

1. The graphics have aged terribly (240p "realistic" 3d graphics from 1997 are never going to age well)

When I played the original, I would immediately switch to 1.2 Solitaire control method and turn the auto-aim off. Once you do that, and use the c-buttons to move, the game becomes much more like modern fps titles, where the analogue stick is using for aiming, and (without auto-aim) requires accurate head shots in order to defeat enemies quickly.

I'll concede it has its quirks, but that's also some of the reason its still interesting to play today. Obtuse mission objectives you had to actually think about and study the environment to solve. Security systems which, if triggered, would essentially make the level impossible to complete, as it would flood with enemies. Also, the fact that the levels were complete environments. Which dead ends, areas to explore that didn't affect the level objectives. Its weird to me that 99% of modern FPS shooters seem dead set on having this never ending  contiguous tunnel of levels. Why do nearly all modern first person shooters actively avoid exploration? It just feels much less real to me.

If you play an emulated version of the 360 remake, which uses twin stick controls, then you can much more clearly experience a game that still stands shoulder to shoulder with some of the best console shooters of all time, imho.

I still haven't found a single player shooter that is better than Goldeneye. I've been playing the Xbox 360 version and its outstanding. Timespillters two comes close as does perfect dark.

Some told me to try modern warfare games if I liked Goldeneye: honestly didn't enjoy them, they are practically on rails shooters with scripted events, nothing imergent feeling at all.

The worst thing about Goldeneye is it marks a high water mark in games for me. Every fps I've played since is disappointing.

On 14/05/2021 at 15:12, Ketchup said:

Have you tried Alien Isolation? Whilst not a typical FPS i think it could give you a similar feeling to goldeneye in how it makes you tackle every stage.

It looks great but is it not more of a survival horror type thing?

It is but without giving anything away you do have weapons. There’s also the fact goldeneye is quite a stealthy game which AI also is and I think what makes goldeneye so great is the detail to the film world which AI captures even more so.

On 12/05/2021 at 14:11, Tomdominer said:

I can't disagree with all this more. Absolutely all of it is the "wrongest" thing I've read in a while :)

The graphics are as retro as you get, and it's subjective. I love the look of it especially in RGB on a CRT. 

For both this game and Perfect Dark, the default controls and auto-aim is the way to play the game. It's fundamentally designed that way to use the auto-aim. 

Also - in the case of Perfect Dark - the remaster is absolutely god-awful with the c-buttons mapped to the right stick and the high levels of accuracy of the N64 analog stick calibrated horribly on the Xbox controller. 

10 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

both this game and Perfect Dark, the default controls and auto-aim is the way to play the game. It's fundamentally designed that way to use the auto-aim.:)

I personally think if you haven't played Goldeneye on 00 agent with auto-aim off, you haven't played Goldeneye. But I doubt I'll change your mind, so let's just agree to disagree.

On 11/05/2021 at 13:18, StoooTube said:

I’d agree with FPS games, but not Mario 64. Apart from the low resolution, there’s not many games that have improved upon it. We had Mario 64, Banjo and to an extent Donkey Kong 64 on N64. Apart from Mario Galaxy and Odysee, I can’t think of any other 3d platformers that are improved. 

Balin Wonderworld, the Banjo rip-off with the lizard, Super Lucky etc... couldn’t stand them.

I have to disagree with this. Mario 64 is a classic and is still playable today, but the camera is a nightmare in 2021.

It's completely understandable as when the game came out developers were still trying to understand and figure out how a camera might work in a 3D game, but it is rubbish and frequently gets in the way / doesn't line up with what you're trying to do.

Doesn't mean the game is bad, but the camera is definitely the part of it that really sticks out as being bad in 2021.

Having just got 120 stars again on it I 50/50 agree with the camera. Early levels the camera is fine for the most part. But later levels it can get caught out by the level geometry, constantly wanting to swing back to a position it prefers or just being slightly off causing you to not run straight. Having played sunshine though I feel the camera is even worse there as whilst it gives you full control it’s way to taxing to control and again never gives you quite the right perspective. But yes the camera could be better but it’s still up there in my mind as one of the better ones!

2 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

Asking on behalf of my little brother... But I'm also keen on this when I get myself straight. 

Which is the best N64 everdrive,  and how do game saves work.. 

Thank you 

I understand the 'best' N64 flashcart is probably the 64Drive but it's not readily available and has dev features the average user probably won't care for.

Krikzz's Everdrive 2.5 (recently discontinued, now basically the ED64 X5) is probably the most popular one and supports most of the library. 

For about twice the cost of an X5 you can get an X7 if you want more features, not needing to press Reset on the console for save files to be written and to play the odd game which uses a Real Time Clock (required for Animal Crossing 64 and maybe a couple of Pokémon games). 

N64 games use various save types and these are all supported on the major flashcarts where applicable - either automatically or by way of game-specific save data info being read from a text file (this is simpler than it might sound).

Some games however may require Controller Pak save hardware to be present, so it's probably a good idea to have one of those. I'm pretty sure all modern N64 flashcarts can back up / flash Controller Pak data too, as well as run native N64 homebrew apps that deal with save management.

17 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I understand the 'best' N64 flashcart is probably the 64Drive but it's not readily available and has dev features the average user probably won't care for.

Krikzz's Everdrive 2.5 (recently discontinued, now basically the ED64 X5) is probably the most popular one and supports most of the library. 

For about twice the cost of an X5 you can get an X7 if you want more features, not needing to press Reset on the console for save files to be written and to play the odd game which uses a Real Time Clock (required for Animal Crossing 64 and maybe a couple of Pokémon games). 

N64 games use various save types and these are all supported on the major flashcarts where applicable - either automatically or by way of game-specific save data info being read from a text file (this is simpler than it might sound).

Some games however may require Controller Pak save hardware to be present, so it's probably a good idea to have one of those. I'm pretty sure all modern N64 flashcarts can back up / flash Controller Pak data too, as well as run native N64 homebrew apps that deal with save management.

I'm so grateful for this. 

My brother and me and trying to do a N64 venture together and this would help my health. 

Again really grateful for such a consice post which helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

So as I posted in the car lot /loft find thread I once again have my hands on a Nintendo 64. Luckily I have three official controllers but two have fairly loose sticks. So, my question is: how good are the replacement sticks you can pick up on eBay and is there a recommended replacement stick and failing that what is the deal on third party controllers - are there any good ones? 

The later Mario Tennis games overdid the gimmicks & power-ups, but the original on N64 is still fun.

The Ring Challenges are a lot like the later Virtual Tennis mini-games, and Bowser’s Court has the power-ups to confuse your opponent - but the main game is purer, with some hilarious character animations when they win/lose.

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across this South African advert from the 1980s which uses what looks like a prototype N64 logo.

Jump to 0.40.

And then I went googling to see if the logo had been used anywhere before the N64 or after it. Basically a bunch of N letters in a 3D shape. And I found this:

https://nintendosoup.com/the-nintendo-64-logo-was-almost-plagiarized-by-a-mongolian-museum/

As seen below, the artist of the contest entry in question only made slight modifications to the Nintendo 64’s unique ‘N’ cube symbol. Most gaming fans would have been able to tell where it came from immediately.

Is the N64 logo unique? Not really. Feels a little unfair to jump on the artist claiming plagiarism when the logo clearly;y existed before the N64.

• 3 weeks later...

In spite of not having the slightest urge to touch many of this consoles most beloved titles it's still the only Nintendo home machine I absolutely need to have permanently set up for play, just in case I get the urge.

There's just a level of cozy comfort I have with it that isn't there with the others. I can't explain why. 

Anyway, I finally got around to spending some time with a game I've been putting off playing since it came out: Pilotwings 64. And it's pretty good, I must say. Nowhere near as rough around the edges as I perceived it to be and enjoyably oddball in how it does a lot of things.

The rocketpack levels are my favourites (much like with the other Pilotwings games) and I still can't seem to consistently judge how to land the hang-glider (almost always annoyingly undershooting it) but I've got gold ratings pretty much throughout (apart from in the Pilot class tests), and have raced through it all so far. I am truly over some of the music though - but noticed there's an option to turn it down in the mix. Very nice.

Another classic I've avoided playing until now is Waverace 64 - and unlike Pilotwings 64 I've found this one a real challenge to get my head around. As a viewer, this game broadly looked so easy that I hadn't considered that the wave physics and tight course designs would conspire to chew up and spit out a new player so ruthlessly. 

Digging out the instruction manual / operations card will have to be done as it seems like some essential information just isn't in the game itself, and I really want to enjoy what might be the nearest thing to a proper arcade style racer Nintendo ever made.

However, the most resonating N64 experience for me during this period of play has to be the recently released 'Animal Leader' (Doubutsu Banchou) beta, the 64DD 'evolution'-inspired bite-em-up that got ported to cartridge before being cancelled and ported once more to GameCube, eventually landing in the west as 'Cubivore'. 

This is one mega charming, lovely looking and an extraordinarily nice sounding game. I really like it. And there's nothing about it that suggests an unfinished title as yet (I'm on area #4).

I don't doubt the GC version probably isn't considered anything special, but here it's somehow.. a bit magical. Definitely much bigger than the sum of its parts.

There's a fair amount of stylised JPN text / plotting which I'm not able to fully grasp but the game is no less engrossing because everything is so expressive and lovingly crafted in all its accentuated boxyness.

I never thought I'd get sucked into a recovered N64 proto of a GC game I'd not personally previously heard of before, but it is what it is, and I'm all in.

So yeah. I'm going to finish up Pilotwings, try and get adequately good at Waverace and continue letting Animal Leader provide genuine relaxation in the meanwhile, and see where the story goes. 

So for anyone interested in Animal Leader that might have missed it, here's the recent article about its recovery with everything else you might need:

https://www.nesworld.com/article.php?system=n64&data=n64-doubutsubanchou_2021

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2021 at 06:06, spanky debrest said:

In spite of not having the slightest urge to touch many of this consoles most beloved titles it's still the only Nintendo home machine I absolutely need to have permanently set up for play, just in case I get the urge.

There's just a level of cozy comfort I have with it that isn't there with the others. I can't explain why. 

Anyway, I finally got around to spending some time with a game I've been putting off playing since it came out: Pilotwings 64. And it's pretty good, I must say. Nowhere near as rough around the edges as I perceived it to be and enjoyably oddball in how it does a lot of things.

The rocketpack levels are my favourites (much like with the other Pilotwings games) and I still can't seem to consistently judge how to land the hang-glider (almost always annoyingly undershooting it) but I've got gold ratings pretty much throughout (apart from in the Pilot class tests), and have raced through it all so far. I am truly over some of the music though - but noticed there's an option to turn it down in the mix. Very nice.

Another classic I've avoided playing until now is Waverace 64 - and unlike Pilotwings 64 I've found this one a real challenge to get my head around. As a viewer, this game broadly looked so easy that I hadn't considered that the wave physics and tight course designs would conspire to chew up and spit out a new player so ruthlessly. 

Digging out the instruction manual / operations card will have to be done as it seems like some essential information just isn't in the game itself, and I really want to enjoy what might be the nearest thing to a proper arcade style racer Nintendo ever made.

However, the most resonating N64 experience for me during this period of play has to be the recently released 'Animal Leader' (Doubutsu Banchou) beta, the 64DD 'evolution'-inspired bite-em-up that got ported to cartridge before being cancelled and ported once more to GameCube, eventually landing in the west as 'Cubivore'. 

This is one mega charming, lovely looking and an extraordinarily nice sounding game. I really like it. And there's nothing about it that suggests an unfinished title as yet (I'm on area #4).

I don't doubt the GC version probably isn't considered anything special, but here it's somehow.. a bit magical. Definitely much bigger than the sum of its parts.

There's a fair amount of stylised JPN text / plotting which I'm not able to fully grasp but the game is no less engrossing because everything is so expressive and lovingly crafted in all its accentuated boxyness.

I never thought I'd get sucked into a recovered N64 proto of a GC game I'd not personally previously heard of before, but it is what it is, and I'm all in.

So yeah. I'm going to finish up Pilotwings, try and get adequately good at Waverace and continue letting Animal Leader provide genuine relaxation in the meanwhile, and see where the story goes. 

So for anyone interested in Animal Leader that might have missed it, here's the recent article about its recovery with everything else you might need:

https://www.nesworld.com/article.php?system=n64&data=n64-doubutsubanchou_2021

Wave race 64 is probably one of my fav games of all time, I've completed on expert a few times. Sad, I could do with some more tracks. The depth of the control system is only matched by 1080.

How they went from Wave Race 64 and 1080 with their incredible control systems to the lumpen, fiddly Wave Race Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche I have no idea (well, I guess it was due to Nintendo farming the sequels out to NST).

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

How they went from Wave Race 64 and 1080 with their incredible control systems to the lumpen, fiddly Wave Race Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche I have no idea (well, I guess it was due to Nintendo farming the sequels out to NST).

I left avalanche back to the shop. Interestingly the main programmer on it is talking bout doing a real sequel:

He's the same English guy who worked for Nintendo Japan and made the Mario face in mario 64, the one you can push and pull around when it starts up.

Edit: turns out I now nothing about new games, this is now a vr game called carve, looks good but I can't be arsed with vr

22 hours ago, bplus said:

Wave race 64 is probably one of my fav games of all time, I've completed on expert a few times. Sad, I could do with some more tracks. The depth of the control system is only matched by 1080.

All of this, I got it very, very late, like in the last 2 years late and my only problem with it was I finished what I thought was the first cup and it turned out to be the game.

40 minutes ago, phresh said:

I like the way that the stunts are useful while racing as well, using them to either boost the speed bonus or specifically with the dive trick to avoid speed sapping waves.

Wait. What!?! Doing tricks gives a speed boost !? I didn't know this !!

On 28/07/2021 at 08:26, Dudley said:

All of this, I got it very, very late, like in the last 2 years late and my only problem with it was I finished what I thought was the first cup and it turned out to be the game.

Yes there just seems to be three difficulties and that's it (on wave race 64)

Another thing, I reckon the most annoying thing about blue storm is the presentation, the music is annoying and although the graphics are better it just seems messy somehow. Also I don't know what's wrong with the controls but somehow they just don't feel right compared to wave race 64.

Is there anything as good as wave race? Anyone tried aqua Moto?